NAC 202 + Hicap (No NAPSC acquired yet) feeding Non-Naim Power Amp

Try changing the ground switch on the ND5XS2 - does that affect the hum. I’m assuming it’s just the Creek connected, not the Muso too ?

The SNAIC5 should have its collars done up at both ends - clasping the sockets.

… did try - same hum.

Sorry didn’t see yours … will try the ground switch on the ND5 XS2.
Yes … no muso connected. Bare minimun.

Tried ‘floating’ position … the same.

How have you got the kit setup - hopefully not all stacked together. Make sure the Hicap is away from the 202 etc.

… the little silver tabs on the SNAIC5 plugs (far end rim by the pins) … able to be positioned inside or outside of socket outer rim. (3rd party cable though !!)

… no collars like on the cable that came with ND5 XS2 … therein lies the problem, presumably.
… at least as far as those tabs are concerned. Don’t know if the 3rd party cable could be responsible for the hum.

Possibly, but I’d recommend using the genuine Naim cables, especially when it comes to SNAIC cables. Have a look at the link below -

PS. The line ~ row of 6 X din input sockets on the NAC ‘rocks’ … not secure - not ‘stayed’ as such.

Yes - they’re meant to do that as the main PCB they are mounted too is on slightly compliant mounts so don’t worry.

Worth having a read of the manual to familiarise yourself with some of the Naim idiosyncratic approaches :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank you James … will have a good read later.
Best for me to give it a rest for now.
Very fatigued … health could be better - not long over the lurgy.
Here’s

a photo of the sticker on the bag the cable came in …

Unfortunately it’s forum rules that we can’t discuss non Naim replacement interconnect cables that carry power (SNAIC and Burndy cables) so we’ll need to leave that one there.

But probably permissible to say “you should get an original Naim SNAIC cable” :wink: That might well solve the hum issue, too.

1 Like

Sorry … didn’t know. Was just looking for a genuine Naim SNAIC 5 cable, as it happens.

The Snaic5 should have come with the Hicap, so it may be worth checking in the box. A proper Snaic costs about £200 and they are often available used. The Snaic carries signal and power and needs to be locked at both ends. There is an old saying - buy cheap, buy twice - and a cable made by coolnovelties seems wholly inappropriate in a high quality system. It would really help you to have a good read of the manual and a search of the forum so that you know how to use your new Naim equipment correctly.

1 Like

For obvious reasons (forum rules), I’ve removed the picture.

I bought the HiCap & NAC 202 from a Hifi shop in Cornwall for £850 (ex demo). The ‘cheapo’ 3rd party SNAIC5 cable was all that came with, not counting the mains/IEC cable. When I asked about the possibility of sourcing a remote, they promised to send on an old one they have, with their compliments … fingers crossed ! Have already ordered a far better SNAIC5 … the real McCoy may have to wait til I snare a good deal on one.

Sorry … didn’t occur to me at the time that I could’ve done that.

Sorry, belated. HiCap is … and was - well away from NAC (under table/large desk, on a stand). NAC is on same table, but not stacked. Creek integrated (effective poweramp for NAC) is on top of ND5 XS2 (Creek is very compact - class G). Had intended to put the NAC under the ND5 XS2 (with the heat-yielding amp on top, of course). Things a bit cramped. Not really room for a proper hifi rack, unless I do away with my super-sized desk (with slide-out panel for keyboard &/or auxiliaries). Will look into mini-racks made from material that is fairly isolating, if poss. (to place on top of desk) Other power supplies, turntable regulator etc, under table. Hum HAS waned - don’t think was improved by the better SNAIC5 cable though (not immediately, at least). May have an original SNAIC5 lined up. NAPSC may have to wait. Very happy with SQ improvement, though - unsurprisingly, I suppose. Qutest appears to be on 2v output as is. Gain on NAC much more than that with the Creek pre-amp, of course. 9 'o clock is pretty damned loud (esp. with fronts, sides AND Muso going, heheh !) Tried re-setting Qutest to 1V output - followed instructions … Lord knows what I’m doing wrong. Re. phono stage output … ok on lower (MC) gain setting. When I have the dosh, will probably get a (2nd hand) Accuphase A+B output power amp (or somesuch), that will sit on the floor, away from all else … or possibly a valve amp (considering the increased gain). A Luxman would be nice … no doubt !

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.