NAC 202 + Hicap (No NAPSC acquired yet) feeding Non-Naim Power Amp

PS. … wow, yeah - sounds wonderful. So chuffed !

1 Like

Glad it’s all working :+1:

The NAPSC came in two versions so go for the later version that comes in the die cast case rather than the earlier folded metal case.

As to the inputs - the CD and Aux2 RCA sockets can be assigned to the input buttons instead of the DIN sockets - they may have been assigned by the previous owner so you may need to change that.

Qutest - good choice. Look at setting the output level to 2v. Are you going to use that with both the Sony and Naim as digital sources ?

Yes …
Previously had the CD player connected to the ND5 XS2 via a toslink optical cable. Matching minidisc deck/recorder (MDS-J3000ES) was connected via RCA cable from the analogue output) [The Sony units are shoe-box/half-width components] - have the CDP on top of MD, next to the Muso on top of a cabinet under the telly. Have quite a few MDs from back in the day. Still listen to MDs occasionally. Imagine the mini disc player through the Qutest might sound quite reasonable … just the one optical input on the Qutest and CDP coaxial only for input (recording). Have 2 of the 5m toslink optical cables, so will probably use 2nd one from MDP to the ND5 XS2. Creek Pre-out (variable with NAC input to Creek power amp section) was still active ! Seem to recall this from a (pre-amp equipped) Cambridge Audio CXN I used to have … never thought much about it then. The DIN4 to 2 x RCA female adaptor cable just came though … and sounds much better via the NAC ‘Standard’ output, unsurprisingly (!) The whole lot played together, even at a really low volume (with muso volume set to blend in well) … sounds really fantastic - full, deep & multi-layered.

Qutest output to be set to 2v … noted. Cheers.

If you were using a Naim amp, especially with sensitive speakers or a small room I would even suggest trying 1V. Not sure what would be best with your Creek, but just use whatever works best for you.

1 Like

Cheers Chris … will see which sounds best.

… although (James) - you did say could perhaps use Socket 2 on the HiCap for the Muso output/feed. Seemed you were dubious about doing that with 5 m of cable though (?)
Sorry … don’t want to wear out my welcome - and wear you down !

… might not I need a remote for that ?
(not, as yet, landed from vendor … may have to source one myself)

It was just a caution that Naim preamps may not like driving longish cables as they are not designed for that. Just to note, the Hicap outputs 3,2 and 1 carry the same preamp out L&R signals you’d find on the 202 Standard output. Naim’s advice is to run these through the power supply hence why using these outputs is advised.

See

It won’t do any harm when connected to the Creek, but don’t connect your future 200 to the Standard output on the 202 when using a Hicap (Results in a paralleled power rail) connect it via the Hicap only.

Yes you’ll need the remote unfortunately to reassign the inputs.

Got it.
Very many thanks.
Really very much appreciated.

1 Like

No worries. Enjoy your new setup !

PS.
Very sorry to bother yet again …
… but worried may be important (re. possibility of a problem with the NAC or HiCap) (?).
Have noticed slight hum from speakers, even when only ND5 XS2 connected (with cable provided) and streamer output set to DIN only … with all other cabling removed, apart from SNAIC 5 connected as per your instructions. (PS. Should SNAIC5 plug clasp tabs be inside or outside socket rim ? - tried in & out … still the hum). Hum is there on any NAC input menu selection (with any volume and/or no volume from NAC) … tried DIN plug connection from ND5 XS2 on tuner and av sockets inputs, both the same. Tried both poweramp inputs on Creek (configurable) … the same.
Didn’t have this problem using my old Cambridge Audio CXN preamp … but then was using balanced (XLR) cables … so well earthed.
Would seem an earth fault perhaps then ?
Very sorry again for the bother.
A bit worried.
Should I try Standard out on the NAC using the DIN4 to 2 x RCA female (sockets) … into RCA -RCA cables into the Creek (have some good ones … Chord Shawline … so no probs there with shielding)
S.

Try changing the ground switch on the ND5XS2 - does that affect the hum. I’m assuming it’s just the Creek connected, not the Muso too ?

The SNAIC5 should have its collars done up at both ends - clasping the sockets.

… did try - same hum.

Sorry didn’t see yours … will try the ground switch on the ND5 XS2.
Yes … no muso connected. Bare minimun.

Tried ‘floating’ position … the same.

How have you got the kit setup - hopefully not all stacked together. Make sure the Hicap is away from the 202 etc.

… the little silver tabs on the SNAIC5 plugs (far end rim by the pins) … able to be positioned inside or outside of socket outer rim. (3rd party cable though !!)

… no collars like on the cable that came with ND5 XS2 … therein lies the problem, presumably.
… at least as far as those tabs are concerned. Don’t know if the 3rd party cable could be responsible for the hum.

Possibly, but I’d recommend using the genuine Naim cables, especially when it comes to SNAIC cables. Have a look at the link below -