Nac 252 volume too high

I’m not complaining, just wanted to convey that this volume issue is on different preamps.
Seems like a Naim trait.
That said, would prefer if more of the volume control was usable.

1 Like

I don’t remember precisely, but more or less at 11

focal diablo utopia, sensitivity 89 db, 91 dba is the volume pressure with knob at 9 o clock

I can confirm :slight_smile:

are the first days with 252, Is correct to regolate volume less than 9 o clock, but another thing that I noticed, when I arrive at medium volume (8 o clock), there are too much bass and I also remember that with same speakers and same source at my friend home with nap 300 the system didn’t have this behavior

in this discussion it seem that the behaviour of 252 is not normal changing from 282:

I know that you are only providing a data point to compare with the OP, but it was still necessary to know the speaker sensitivity in order to do that.

It’s well known that Naim uses a quite high input level for line inputs, making the volume travel quite limited with more sensitive speakers. This isn’t totally great, but I don’t think it’s the OP’s issue. The OP is saying that it differs between his 282 and 252, and that 9 o’ clock on the 252 is much too loud with 89 dB speakers. This seems odd and might not just be the normal Naim input level issue

1 Like

This seems extremely high for Naim and I would say that something is strange. As mentioned, with my kit in my room I usually don’t go higher than 10 o’ clock with 86 dB speakers. Sometimes may be 10:30 or even 11 for a short time it I’m crazy, but that’s quite loud.

So with 91 dB speakers, 11 o’ clock is a lot. If that’s approx. the level on the 282 that is the same volume as 9 on the new 252, then something is strange.

I know yours from your earlier post, I meant davidf’s for purpose of comparison

I found when I went from SN as pre to 252 it was louder. Have 804D3 which have sensitivity of 89 and start to get louder about 8 o’clock. This actually works quite well as the speakers like a bit of volume. The remote is good for fine adjustments so have a very nice sound when just chilling or as background music. In the end I just trust my ears. If too loud I turn it down.

One other thing to note. When I use my Oppo 203 as a source I find normal listening is around 9 and it gets louder after that.

It’s strange,
Is there a loudly virus here? :wink:
Just this morning I spoke with the local distributor of Naim and complained about a similar phenomenon, which started about a week ago-
Listening to music at a volume of 8-9 has become unbearable.
The tolerable hearing range, for me, now stands at only 7-8.
What’s weird about the whole story is that I heard in the range of 8.5-10 without any interruption until about a week ago …
The phenomenon occurs mainly in streaming from the network (TIDAL) and less in streaming from the server (CORE)
Maybe there is a sensitivity problem here in the gain origin of the pre(nac52)?
(Richard)

Interesting; I’ve found that too esp since the 552 arrived. It all sounds lovely at low to normal volumes (i.e. Radio 2) but wind it up for NAS or Qobuz source material and from about 11 o’clock and above is awful. It’s harsh, piercing and horrible to listen to. The days when the Nait 5i was way past halfway into PMC 20-23s seem like a lifetime ago.

ND555 > 552 > 300DR > ATC SCM40s, which are around 85db/m I believe.

1 Like

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that SQ is optimal when the volume pots on the Naim preamps are at the beginning of their travel range. Could this be why most of the usable volume range is in the initial range say below 10 o’clock?
Has anyone else read this somewhere or am I mistaken?

If that’s true then Naim need to start again. The low volume imbalance issue is apparently due to the brilliant pots that they carefully select but may not work so well at low volumes; now it might be that they’re no good at higher volumes (what I call moderate tbh).

Naim preamps. Perfect if you don’t turn them up. Or down.

Same here, going from SN2 as pre to 282, the 282 was definitely louder, with all other components equal. Ended up getting an attenuated interconnect to use volume up at 9:00.

1 Like

What is it with people? Are they all so ham-fisted that they cannot adjust the volume with knob or remote? OK, so the rotation range is generally between 7.30 and 9.30, occasionally higher, but in practice it isn’t difficult to fine tune the output to the desired level - which is all that matters.

2 Likes

I have the 252 also. Yes, the usable range of the volume control is frustrating. Sometime is difficult to find the right level. I listen at moderated levels: around 70db with picks to 80db or around. The Sopra 2 are very efficient, I believe 91db, thus listening with the knob around 8:00 - 8:30. Also depend on the level of the source. Some YouTube videos require to go up to 9:00. For Roon I use volume leveling at -14db the avoid constantly adjusting the volume control.
I developed a graduation tool. I have a card with marks of the volume setting for different moments, moods or type of music. Classical music has a much wider dynamic range compares to Jazz, thus more flexibility with the volume control.
The doable tap with the volume control helps a bit but not much. I thought many times on changing the 252 because this, never done it because I love the 300. Want to keep pre and amp as a unit.

Hope this isn’t too simplistic, sounds like a source/sensitivity issue. Either output too high or input too sensitive.

Yes but why would his 252 be so much louder than the 282 (and the description makes it seem significant) though nothing else changed

1 Like

Well That is just weird. I never listen/listened above 9 o’clock either with 202/200, 282/250 or 82/250. Well that’s not entirely true I might have cranked it up a few times. As a matter of fact the 82 is the most sensitive it seems playing a bit louder than the black boxes. Source is NDS/555. With vinyl obviously a non-question.