Nac 252

I’ve an “opportunity” to upgrade from 282/HCDR to 252/SCDR and have done searches but the 252 seems to divide opinion most among all the NAC’s, why ? Hardly anyone has a bad word about the 282 and 552 (obviously) but the 252 what’s going on ?

1 Like

Having gone from 282 to 252…and not regretting it for an instant…I dunno, it’s just not ‘in your face’ enough for some 282 lovers I guess. Now, obviously, 282 is a fine pre, but in my room etc I got tired listening with it after awhile…252 is as dynamic, but more …‘refined’ is one of the terms used for it. Something like that. I listen, entranced, for longer now…

4 Likes

If you can get a home audition and like it, I wouldn’t worry too much about what people say about it. Stick a 250 on the end of it and a decent pair of speakers and off you go. If you want to stick with Naim, other than the 552 there is nowhere else for you to go unless your pockets are as deep as the mid Atlantic trench. I’ve read a lot about the 252 over the years and there is nothing that would stop me having a dem and making up my own mind.

2 Likes

I think the key to your question might be the SCDR. To my ears the DR PS made the 252 quite special. Yes there is a subtlety about it but I think it is a very classy combination. I haven’t heard an 82/HCDR I should add.

Bruce

2 Likes

This has been debated at length. I have described as thus, the 282 is visceral, the 252 mature but neither exclusively so. However, in my opinion the 252 is a very considerable upgrade.

Regards,

Lindsay

PS: Don’t listen to a 552 unless……!

6 Likes

I bought 552 without listening to it. Also an alternative :smile::see_no_evil: Zero regrets. The 552 is more “in your face” than my former 272/555 and after reading on this forum 552 seems to be a perfect blend between 282 and 252 with some added stardust.

1 Like

I went from 272/250 to the 252/300 and from there to the 500 series. The mistake I made was the 252/300. It wasn’t that it was not a good combo the problem was I wasted money and time on the upgrade path, I had no endgame plan. Have a plan, if it is 252/300 then by all means pick up the 252. If you are sticking with the 250 I would consider staying with the 282. With all this said I would wait and see what Naim is coming out with in the next few months. If, big if, the 252 is dropped so may the prices.

3 Likes

If you are happy with the 282 + Hicap then why the hell bother. Just enjoy what you have.

8 Likes

As was mentioned above, I think the mixed opinion on the 252/300 combo was pre DR. With the SCDR & 300DR, I don’t recall much fuss about not liking the combo. As someone who went from 282/HCDR/250DR & currently at 252/SCDR/300DR, I highly recommend the combo & it’s a big jump up all around vs the previous kit. I no longer have the urge of “what’s next on my Naim upgrade list”

2 Likes

I expected the 252 to be a significant upgrade and was planning on staying there for a while. Unfortunately it was pretty meh for me. I never got that aha moment you get with Naim upgrades. I get much more enjoyment out of my 272/555. The 252 is not a bad amp and you may well get on with it. I recommend a home demo if you can arrange it.

1 Like

You beat me to it.

I’m not sure how much of the 252 like or dislike over the 282 is the SCDR. The 252 gives you no options. The 282 of course does with one or two HCDRs or the SCDR. Remembering that the SCDR can not full fill its full potential on the 282.

1 Like

It’s interesting how different ears and rooms/speakers play into this.

We recently went from 272/XPSDR/250DR to 252/SCDR/300DR.

To our ears there’s simply no comparison. Our new system is a large step above the old.

2 Likes

I would not even bother with that

Well it should be shouldn’t it? Jeez, you have a completely different system, you’d be hard pressed to know where the 252 is impacting that. I’m not going back to full separates anytime soon. It’s not worth the money. I’ll probably add a 300 at some point b/c they’re so cheap now. If/when I do go back to separates I’ll be skipping the 252 and getting a 552.

I liked my 252 and in a well balanced system it can easily be end game. Sometimes on reflection stopping at 252, 300, NDS would have been sensible!

Gary

4 Likes

I read so many posts on this. I have zero regrets on 282 to 252. Either with the 250dr or the subsequent 300dr.

6 Likes

15 or so years ago my dealer loaned a 252 for home demo against my then 82.
For two weeks I tried the 252 to outperform the 82 with 2x HC but in the end the 252 went back and I kept the 82, source CDS2.

About 12-18 months ago I ended up purchasing a 252 and SCDR, completely different beast staggeringly brilliant. I put this down to two things the SCDR and Fraim.

Okay I now own a 552DR as one came along used (2019 service too) with trade-in and 4K to make the final pre upgrade.

1 Like

Its a good preamp that needs to gel with the rest of your system…I would imagine it very good with some of the Focal speakers…cetainly when I heard it …it was not my cup of tea…for me it lacked the drive and excitement of the 552…but perhaps with some pacy speakers that could have changed things…

1 Like

Typical - the OP asks about 252 vs 282 - and someone tries to point him to 552.

5 Likes

Guilty as charged m’lud but in fairness I was trying to steer him gently away from the path of temptation!

2 Likes