Nac 252

For me the 282 was Babs Windsor. Great fun, but could get tiresome. The 252 is more Gemma Arterton. Sophiscated yet…well you get my drift.

2 Likes

:rofl::rofl:

So is the 552 a cross between the two :joy:
What a sight for sore eyes that would be

3 Likes

Yet, from Gravesend?

1 Like

The 252 is an excellent pre-amp with the SC DR. I’d have no hesitation recommending one.

6 Likes

I would echo the praise of the 252. It’s a fine preamp and I would recommend unreservedly. That’s my opinion obviously and some people may have different opinions. I loved it.

3 Likes

Not selling one by any chance, Mike? :wink:

(I’ve looked at yours online lots of times now. It’s just a little out of my reach! And I’m very happy with the 282 plus recently added 250DR.)

1 Like

Indeed, but I’m only selling it as I had a great opportunity for the 552/300. The 252/250 is a really nice set up and I’d happily have stayed there. I think the big advantage it has is the full use of the SC, and like all Naim products, the big seperate power supplies just add that detail and cohesion that brings the best out in the pre-amp.

Keep it on your watch list :sunglasses:

1 Like

We didn’t rack 7 boxes overnight, our upgrade was done in stages.

We heard same sources (digital/nDAC, Rega deck/phono amp) into 272/XPSDR and then 252/SCDR, both with 250DR, in our room with same speakers.

No competition. 252 delivers a soundstage, ability to deal with complex arrangements and level of detail the 272 didn’t come close to.

Our 555 and 300 came after that change.

4 Likes

It’s an easy trap to fall into - Happy New Year.

1 Like

I went from an 82 to a 252 and have no regrets.

1 Like

I did mine in stages as well. I went from a CDS2/XPS/72/HC/250 to CDS3/XPS2/252/SC2/250.2 in less than 6 months. Prompted b/c I wanted a remote. I started that iteration with a SN1 which was a huge let down. Then a 200, SC2, 252, 250.2, CDS3/XPS2. All on a Fraim. Optimized. If it works for you that’s great. There was nothing weird and not optimal about my set up and the 252 wasn’t a let down like the SN or 200 were. It was just okay. Not the usual oh yeah moment you get when you get a box upgrade. The 272/555/250DR is so much more involving, dynamic, real for me. And it’s 2 fewer boxes and $$. I’m happy for now, if I go back to separates it’ll be with a 552.

1 Like

I agree, it is my end game, that plus a Superline. One day!

I also went from 82 to 252, a move that I continue to enjoy twenty years later…

6 Likes

I haven’t read all posts of this thread and don’t know whether the following has been mentioned. My apologies if it has.
The 252 has a somewhat recessed presentation compared with the 282 and 552, but this presentation is quite refined. Paired with the quick if not abrupt 300 as it is really meant to be, it may be better fit to listening to classical music. It is also true that it’s installation, placement as well as Burndy and Snaic, requires quite some care.

1 Like

My journey over the last 5 years has been:

202/200/PMC speakers → 282/250DR/PMC speakers → 252/300DR/Kudos speakers. And there we will stay. 552 is a step too far for me.

The uplift in SQ, musical enjoyment and sound stage at every step was/is palpable.

I have no hesitation in recommending 252/SCDR as it works brilliantly for me but accept, for some, it’s sound signature may not be as enjoyable as 282. Good luck in your decision making.

14 Likes

Very neat looking setup

Thank you. It keeps me entertained for sure. LP12 Klimax + spec + 252/300 is a great combo

1 Like

I went from 282/250.2 to 252/300 and never regretted it for one moment. Never fatiguing (the 282/250.2 sometimes was) the 252/300 dishes up nuance and detail to immerse you in the music. The DR upgrade only builds on this. As high up the Naim ladder as I’m prepared to go without a huge lottery win …

4 Likes

Thanks for the responses here. Until now I did not know the SCDR is not fully utilised with the 282 so it’s basically stick with 282/HCDR or twist with 252/SCDR, the 250DR is my limit on NAP

4 Likes

I’ve gone from 282 to 252 to 552 and would say they’ve been consistent improvements. I’d add that the 282 was more forward than the 252 but preferred the 252.

4 Likes