NAC 282 added to SN 2 .....for a home demo

Rather than pursuing the ‘more amplifiers’ route, you may want to try a 555PS on the NDX2. Having owned all sorts of illustrious Naim setups I’m absolutely delighted with my SN3 fronted by NDX2/555. For sheer musical communication it’s right up there. A much better rack than the Quadraspire would also pay big dividends.

2 Likes

Ah, I was a bit disappointed when I finished reading. I thought you might be putting the wheels on and “kayaking” down a hill, paddling against air.

3 Likes

Not sure why you’d think this - it’s exactly what you would expect. The 282 is a dedicated pre-amp and is ‘better’ than the pre-amp section of the SN. Partly because it is specifically designed to be and partly because isolating the pre-amp from the power amp confers additional benefit.

3 Likes

PS 555Dr is so damn expensive and rare 2nd hand in North America. Praying a Xpsdr will satisfy in the meantime.

3 Likes

Yes, they are not cheap. I’m simply suggesting that putting a 555 on an NDX2 may provide more musical engagement that swapping a SN for a 282/250. It depends on what one is after.

1 Like

No worries mate! Even when I dream of a 555PS I can’t afford it lol.

2 Likes

To me it just does not make any sense to spend $12,000 on a device only to improve the sound of a component costing $7700, regardless to the end result.

6 Likes

If it holds its own again other $20k sources, who cares?

1 Like

I heard the NAC 282 into Active ATC 19 & 40’s at two separate demonstrations and enjoyed the music quite a bit. I am sure you will be happy and look forward to hearing how they work together for you. (Your room, your system, your ears).

3 Likes

Would be interesting to see if you can borrow a 200DR to see how that compares. Would keep your box count at 4 (plus NAPSC)

1 Like

The home demo demon strikes again. I’m struggling to stop myself from bringing home a new combo for a demo.

3 Likes

Enjoy the 282 @seakayaker it’s a peach of a pre amp I made a similar change from a 272/555DR a few months ago.

With the 282 one can just stop here IMHO only three Naim pre amps to better it, the 52, 552 and Statement.

3 Likes

It’s better to think of the end result as a single component.

1 Like

It would end up more then that too. The 555 really then justifies the ND555. The ND555 then needs the 552, and so it goes on……

2 Likes

Not the 252 then?

I prefer the drive and excitement from the 282 and to my lugs the 252 takes a different path.

3 Likes

Naughty, @HiFiman — provoking the 252 faction… :rofl:

4 Likes

Q.E.D. :rofl:

1 Like

Not my intention to provoke another 282 / 252 debate just putting across my opinion :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Try upgrading the interconnect from the 282. I was suprised how much better an alternative was👍

2 Likes