NAC 282 Slightly overwhelmed

Yeah makes sense, my dealer has several rooms of various sizes. My own is also largish, so that’s what we use at the dealership’s. Though my question was really if anyone ever really could confirm a clear difference just by moving 2 unused pairs of speakers out of a room that is not stuffed to the brim with speakers. (Excluding the “wall of speakers on switch boxes” scenario)

1 Like

If you purchase the Supercap you will end up purchasing a 252 - be warned.

I do the whole NAP200 to 1 Hicap to 2 Hicaps to Supercap DR journey with my 282. The Supercap was in readiness for when a decent 252 became available (and there was a good deal on it as well).

The 2 Hicaps were really good on the 282 - I was surprised (based on the opinions you generally read on the Forum) at the level of improvement over the 1 Hicap. Much more dynamic and refined to my ears.

4 Likes

This!!!

1 Like

6 years on so far not the case here :flushed:

Red flag?.. :joy:

1 Like

Please tell me that is a shop and not your collection lol

2 Likes

Take a bow for admirable restraint in the face of temptation !!

Luckily those speakers look fairly entry level. Now imagine they are packed even tighter together and all are in the $10k - $50k range and you have a dem room in Japan.

When my dealer asks if I’d like a demo I just say “no thanks”. After all, in those circumstances it will cost me an hour of time and tell me nothing.

4 Likes

In some cases but not all. Some of us bought a NAC52 instead after auditioning the 282 and 252…

We also have an 82/Supercap providing sterling service elsewhere in the family.

Best regards, BF

252 a revelation in my system…

8 Likes

While I’d agree a simple uncluttered dem room with a single pair of stereo speakers might be ideal for comparing a few different sets, the result would only really be typical for the characteristics of the room itself, so perhaps in some ways random elements which may influence sound such as a couple of other speakers might more accurately reflect a typical home listening room. I simply feel the vast majority of hi-fi users can’t face faffing with treating rooms or modified output based on electronic assessment of room characteristics, though I must confess I’d love to hear (for example) Linn’s room based optimisations at work.

A revelation - but very finicky in its setup. As a Platinum Jubilee post-lunch diversion I had a mess around with the cable routing and also reordered the power supplies on my brawn stack with the 300PS higher up and the 555PS on this rack down the bottom. Cable routing and separation from the 252 was improved and blow me down, the sound was significantly improved at power up, more musicality, improved soundstage !

I was following advice on a legacy thread provided by Peter of Cymbiosis and - no surprise - it was spot on.

First time at the Linn/Naim-dealer early 80’s. My friend was asked to remove his electronic wristwatch as it had a summer (small speaker they said). During the demo (LP12/Naim/Kan/Ikea Lack) they put/removed a disconnected phone (pre-mobile) into the room. It was all too new and stressful for any of us to hear the diff.

But I am to this day considering replacing the TV with a projector the get rid of the speakers inside the TV :slight_smile:

1 Like

What a load of pretentious twaddle. Removing a speaker in a phone to be able to hear the difference between one set of speakers and another?

Must have been this place.

8 Likes

Sounds like some forums I frequent………………

(Always been one of my favouritist NtNo’CN sketches!)

I never quite understood the very militant approach to removing every single transducer in a room (down to the bleeper in digital watch). The number of items in a typical domestic living room that can happily ‘sing’ along with the music being played made it seem a pointless exercise…

If you ever hear me sing a long i would be the first item removed from the room😂

14 Likes

I went the other way. A decade with a projector fan in the background and I was delighted to migrate to silent TV. Plus I didn’t have to draw the curtains to catch the news, the picture was better and at current prices, TVs are pretty big yet affordable. Going from 100" to 65" seems like a step down but with the improved clarity and no background noise, it felt like a screen upgrade.

And people were blaming it all on the Focals in the Naim dem room…now we know :grinning:

1 Like

You clearly never drank the Kool Aid!