NAC 282 Slightly overwhelmed

Re digital watches and other transducers, it’s worth noting that Ivor T agreed to be put to the test on this, and was unable to reliably identify any difference in the sound when an uncovered digital watch was in the room.

https://www.bostonaudiosociety.org/bas_speaker/abx_testing2.htm

I’m not a fan of audio comparisons that involve short back to back tests (AB, ABA, ABX, etc.) - I believe the ear / brain tends to minimise differences when repeatedly presented with the same material - but if you’re going to hang your hat on a particular methodology, you should be able to back it up.

There’s a flat screen TV between my speakers, and for critical listening sessions I habitually throw a blanket over it (and I unplug it). I can’t say I hear much difference - I certainly wouldn’t pass a blind test :laughing: - but it’s good for peace of mind: during those sessions where something sounds vaguely off, it helps to know you’ve taken care of the details.

3 Likes

I suspect if the screen is large enough, the central reflections off the hard screen being dampened would pass a blind test that specific case. As to the other, totally agree. ABX is nearly impossible to tell a difference in really good systems because you need time to digest and evaluate your body’s response to the music over a longer time and ask yourself which is more pleasurable? It works for night and day changes but for anything else, forget it.

When building a house (ongoing) I actually have a curtain rail about a foot in front of the TV that goes wall to wall. For music, it is shut and the main difference the psychological one of removing distractions. When a TV is between the speakers, even if off, you listen staring at the black screen. When there is nothing, you brain nearly conjures the musicians out of thin air.

3 Likes

I wonder how @Mattster is getting on?

1 Like

Having kicked off quite the debate thought I should pop back and give an update. I’m pleased to say that some combination of time/burn in/ SuperCap has brought me to a place where I am now very happy with the 282. There are still some poor quality recordings that it exposes quite ruthlessly but the flip side of this is a level of realism and accuracy on many recordings that is astounding. I have heard those of you advocating improving the source and I’m sure at some point in my future an NDX2 will be added but for now I’m very happy

15 Likes

Good stuff. A different source component will inevitably yield more music and a better presentation. NDX/XPS or even 555PSU will just about be optimised.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.