Nac 282 vs 252

Hi. Many years ago I owned nac202/200, hicap.
At my local naim dealer I borrowed a nac 282, and I remember the difference was a huge step up in sound. Is the step up from 282 to 252 just as big?

They sound different- the 282 vs 252 comparison is one where you’ll find a lot of opinions. The 252 is one component you need to audition at home and make your own mind up.

It’s definitely a step up in my experience, but of course, it will ask more of your source, so that can be a double edged sword. Also bear in mind that the NAC282 is effectively 3 or even 4 slightly different levels of pre-amp; plain NAC282 powered from a power amp PSU, NAC282 + Hicap, NAC282 + 2 x Hicap, NAC282 + Supercap.

1 Like

having owned 202, 282 and now 252 all of the Pre’s will bring focus and music for me source first and then matched with a balance in the system - 252 will give you lot’s of music when matched well with source and system and totally agree with @Richard.Dane 282 can offer at lot of music depending on PSU - I went from 282/HCDR to 282/SC the difference was a delight

2 Likes

My experience of 202 to 282 and then 282 to 252. 202 to 282 was a more obvious step up and that was with the 282 powered by a Hi-Cap. Swapping to Supercap on the 282 was another very obvious change (step up for me but i know some disagree). Changing from 282 to 252 was more subtle but ultimately I found the 252 more rewarding musically and in terms of detail.

2 Likes

A search will reveal all you need to know. There are some who prefer the 282 but I am not one of them. For me the 252 has an easy naturalness and musicality that is effortless and is deserving of impeccable sources.

4 Likes

I have a 282/SC and have no intention of changing. But no doubt the 252 is a more refined performer.

Regards,

Lindsay

1 Like

I went from: 202/NAPSC/HC -> 282/HC -> 282/HCDR -> 282/SCDR -> 252/SCDR

The biggest changes were from 202 to 282. The change from 282 to 252 was incrementally done because I upgraded the 282 to a SCDR first. I would say the easily the combination of 282/HC to 252/SC was a bigger improvement overall than from 202/HC to 282/HC. 252 is a huge step up, IMO. As it should be when you consider cost.

This question crops up regularly and opinions tends to polarise. I ran a 282 with SC for some years, latterly with a SCDR. I tried the 252 twice for a prolonged home demo. It was expertly set-up by my dealer. On both occasions while I could tell that the 252 was more refined and dug out more subtle detail, for me it just didn’t convey the excitement I was used to, especially on rock music. Putting my 282 back in at the end of the home demo, my dealer and I agreed ‘excitement and engagement’ had been restored.

I would trade the 252’s finesse for the 282’s ‘boogie’ every time. But different folk prefer different flavours. So my advice would be have a long home demo of both before deciding.

3 Likes

Yeah the 252 will get the most of just about what ever source you attach to it… which is great news I found, as its far less fussy on sources compared to the 282, as I said earlier on in the thread…
If the music boogies, the 252 will do it wonderfully, but it won’t invent it if it’s not originally in the music… just like the 552 wont.

3 Likes

Yes, bigger step from 202 to 282 than 282 to 252. From memory.

Thank you all, for Your great input

Do you think that the ndx2 would be good enough togheter with nac 252?

1 Like

I’ve heard the pairing - yes, the NDX2 is a very capable performer particularly with an XPS2 or 555 PSU. Remember that the judgement of the Naim guys was that there was no requirement for a NDS2 the NDX2 is that good.

Regards,

Lindsay

i have a naked 2014 NDX on the end of my 252/300 with Titan audio leads, I only use with FLAC losses and the NDX and 252 work well together, not looking to change any time soon

in saying that NDX is not my main source

I’m sure it will be fine. And even better with an XPS DR or 555ps.

1 Like

I remember you compared the 552 to your old 282/SCDR, how do they compare?

I run a NDX2/XPSDR and PowerLine + HiLine IC with my 252/300 and it is excellent. The NDX2 bare would obviously not be as nice, but I imagine capable enough to enjoy. I wouldn’t hesitate to do it, and a XPS or 555PS can always come later.

I think i will end up with 282/hicap nap 250dr
Ndx2/xps dr. But right now im enjoying nait 5i cd5xs. I Think the nait 5i is pretty impressive with a lot of music.
Thank you all for your input

Hi @Analogmusic - I’ve had the 552DR for about three years now. Prior to committing, I had a 2-week home demo, then spent another two weeks getting used to my 282/SCDR again so I could make a well-considered judgment on whether the upgrade in performance justified the high jump in price.
The 552DR does everything that the 282 and 252 did well, only better and with no downsides. Over the next year or so I continued to have moments when, playing music that I thought I knew inside/outside, I would pause and realise I was gaining new insights. The 552DR really is a special beast.

That said, and in no way to down-play the abilities of the 552DR, when I later tried the 500DR over my 300DR I thought the leap in performance improvement was even greater than that between the 282/SCDR and 552DR. But then the 552DR being in place probably contributed to that impression as it opens the window very wide.

1 Like