Nac 42 & nap 110

I hadn’t heard of ‘tractor wheels’ before, but it’s good!

The ‘proper’ Naim knobs look so much better (to my eyes. at least).

Graham

1 Like

I stand corrected. Thanks.

Graham

Know what you mean about daunting … from the pavement down the outside steps to the record shop … then down the stairs again to the Linn-Naim-Rega strongold below … heart in mouth, “am I worthy??” … :slight_smile:

I love the Tractor Wheels… Term I got from @Richard.Dane

2 Likes

They’ve been called tractor wheels ever since they were fitted to the 42 and 110, so for about 40 years. There is something about them, almost like a child’s toy.

2 Likes

Two Wheels Good here (Stevie Baby!!).

A single wheel going for a lot on a certain site at the moment……

8 Likes

Tractor wheels & chrome bumper never goes out of style!

14 Likes

These CB pics are wheely nice… :crazy_face: :smiley: :astonished:

2 Likes

Timeless classic…

2 Likes

Reminds of that old song (Burt Bacharach, I think?)

“Two wheels on my preamp,
And I’m still rolling along……”

‘Two Wheels Good’ was the name for the American release of the wonderful Prefab Sprout’s Steve McQueen album (the SM estate threatened to sue).

“ I count the hours since you slipped away
I count the hours that I lie awake
I count the minutes and the seconds too
All I stole and I took from you”

Bonny

1 Like

I’ve just (this weekend) rebought SMcQ. Having lost it mid-nineteen eighty something. It sounds better now than then. And so it should considering what’s being played via than then.

You had me thinking more along the lines of ‘the wheels on the bus’.

2 Likes

“…go round and round,
Round and round, round and round.
The wheels on the bus go round and round,
All day long!”

IIRC must be one of The Smith’s finest toons! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I always remember as a kid my Uncle’s Quad minimalist system playing Genesis and the Naim tractor wheels and their minimal look remind me of this. I think I prefer rounded knobs personally! :laughing:

The 42/110 is classic - I think I bought mine in 1983 from Sound Advice. Later upgraded to 42.5.

I see it as the minimum for Kans, and a 72/Hicap/250 as as better. I appreciate some use a Nait - and my olive Nait2 is OK but not great.

1 Like

Same here - although both my 42 & 110 have long left me, now…
But I have a 72/140 as a substitute… :astonished:

1 Like

You seem to have take off all the black paint, so that this is ‘Full Body Chrome’, rather than just ‘Chrome Bumper’.

It looks good, but I think that I prefer the standard black box effect.

Graham

It looks like the original image was underexposed and has been lightened which makes the case look different. Reduce the exposure and the texture finish is still there. Still great looking - my first Naim preamp (42.5)

2 Likes

It’s a small world - I bought my 42/110 from Sound Advice in 1983 too. It came with a used snaps, which I hadn’t intended to buy but needed to in order to reach the minimum for interest free credit. I borrowed £350, repayable over 10 months.

I swapped the 110 for a 250 very quickly - the shop would exchange things within three months and you give you back what you paid, less the VAT. The 250 made a massive difference to the Kans. The 42 was upgraded to 42.5 - I remember Derek doing it in the shop, and the snaps was traded for a Hicap. That 42.5/Hicap/250 then stayed with me for years and years.

1 Like