Nac 42 & nap 110

Something like a Chord cobra or chrysalis RCA to 5 pin din for none Naim source with a Naim streamer there’s a SNAIC 5pin din (both ends) cable supplied in the box

1 Like

I ran my Nait 2 into Kans for a whole number of years before a recent buy of an xs2 now running the Kans. Source for both has been a simple sqbox duet and CA dac. Lovely sound quality. Replacing the sqbox and CA with. Node and Qutest will give you a high quality sound system.
I have tested this but am using the node and qutest elsewhere until another well priced node and qutest come up on an auction site somewhere.

3 Likes

So a Node would get me up and running and then if the upgrade itch strikes down the line I could add a Qutest DAC and use the Node as a streaming transport only?

1 Like

Yep, exactly that. The node dac is a good dac in itself.

3 Likes

Just a thought on the Kans. Others will have a view, but if you go for Kans, avoid the later mk4’s. I have my original bought new Mk1’s but if I were looking for some now I’d go for mk2’s. As always with older speakers you need to establish that they are still in good condition. If you can buy locally or from a dealer get a demo first.

3 Likes

Not quite, a little bit more than that.

1 Like

Not a bad guess, at 30 years + distance, though… :expressionless:

1 Like

Found this on the auction site. Looks authentic and supposedly pre-dates the Cobra and the Chrysalis. How it will sound is anybody’s guess right now :grimacing:

The Din end does look like it might have been fitted later.

Also bought some Linn Kans in walnut. Should really find a pair of the original speakers stands to finish the job.

2 Likes

Looks to me like the Chord ‘grey’ Chrysalis - very sim. to the Naim Lavender…

The business…!!! Good spot.

Update - !! Very, very similar to my Chord Chrysalis, bought in 1988. Mine lacks any ‘Chord’ branding - so earlier…? Mine was also originally not a PREH DIN plug… But it is now… :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks Ian that’s reassuring to hear :+1:

1 Like

Yes… You want ideally the Mk2 stands… Which have 4 ‘legs’ which are vertical.

s-l500

These seem to be modern clones, for sale on Flea Buy…

1 Like

The sale on the Kans fell through. I do have a pair of SCM11 which have just come off my main system. They worked well in the same room my CB system will be going in, but powered by a 150x then. Given I won’t be playing at volume is there any risk of me damaging the NAP110 if I try it with the SCM11?

Would not have thought so… Why are you concerned…?

Won’t be a problem- I use a NAP110 with Gale 401s which dip below 4 ohms in places and were renowned as an amp killer back in the day. The little Naim struggles less than a 250 which tended to overheat at times, and sounds more revealing and tuneful to my ears.

2 Likes

Just worried I might be working the little amp a bit too hard…

Then… don’t… be modest… :smiley:

1 Like

My 110 used to drive my isobariks nicely, would get warm as toast but never faltered. The 250 that came along did sound more open and articulate but would shut down when pushed.

4 Likes

I always felt that those big round control knobs spoiled the look of the early CB kit, as if someone had found them in a spare parts bin. I think that I’m right in saying that later CB kit sported much smaller, smarter round knobs before the migration to ‘olive’ kit. Of course, that may be twaddle on my part, as I was an ‘interested onlooker’ schoolboy in Edinburgh (RATA, anyone?) rather than an owner, at the time.

I never dared go into the shop to ask to listen, mind.

Graham

You mean the Tractor Wheels…?

Rather than these smaller ones…?

Fabulous-classic-chrome-bumper-Naim-NAC-325-pre-amp-with

Think only the 32 had the Smaller Wheels…

And this is Olive…

download

3 Likes

It was “Russ Andrews High Fidelity” in Edinburgh … Dave Watson head honcho. RATA was a later venture based in Cumbria.