Nac 552

I’d have thought £15k min?

1 Like

Hi guys I tried to buy the exact same 552 a month ago.

I got the serial numbers checked out and it was all legitimate as it turns out it was a staff build hence the 99… serial number.

I payed 9500 pounds a good price.

After a week the seller told me that his eBay account was on hold and he couldn’t access my payment although the cash had left my account but the guy was trying his hardest to talk me into a bank transfer.

I contacted eBay how did confirm the sellers account was on hold. After another week of the seller trying his hardest for me to pay direct into his bank I contacted eBay again who updated me with the news that Nicole’s he had been a naughty boy in the past he would never be allowed to sell something of such value on eBay and eBay refunded me my money, thank you eBay.

When I approached the seller to try to visit him to see the 552 he told me he didn’t actually have the item with him it had to be shipped from his where house and he could only do this after payment. Doesn’t quite sound right to me.

Don’t know if you have noticed but the same advert appeared on eBay today but being sold from the United States.

My advice steak Ckear and cancel order

I had an eBay search on for a few months when I was looking for a preamp. Those same pics must have come up half a dozen times from different dubious sellers. I did email once about it and the reply sent alarm bells ringing. The trouble is I think eBay deletes dodgy sales from history so you can’t find them. Then the other poster came on here reporting a no show. From memory it was originally sold by a reputable dealer but that was a while back and it’s not in the history anymore.

Chances are it will appear on another (no doubt hacked) ebay account shortly. There’s also a NAP500 and ND555 currently for sale which are also clearly scams as the same pics keep coming up from different sellers. Why eBay can’t stop them when they keep using the same pics over and over is anyone’s guess :roll_eyes:

1 Like

And in the end - I wonder where the actual hardware is?

According to another thread 99 Serials are staff built if I remember correctly.

Phil

I bought a 552 off eBay once, a good few years ago. It cost me £8,000 and was about three years old. I rocked up at the seller’s house with the £8,000 in used £20 notes. With hindsight it could have ended up in disaster with a quick bop on the head but all was fine. He was also selling a 500 and a huge pair of Dynaudios. I checked with Naim while I was there, we had a cup of tea and he counted out the cash, boxed it up and off I went. The £8,000 was a sensible price back then, but it’s as true today as it’s always been: if something looks too good to be true, it very probably is.

I sold some SL2s on eBay once. A few weeks later they started popping up in scam adverts, at least three times. You need to have your wits about you.

When I downsized last year I sold most of it on Pink Fish. Various people sent quite large sums to my bank account and I duly sent the stuff. It’s much safer buying there than on eBay; it’s a community where people know each other.

8 Likes

I suppose Pink Fish is the place for you Nigel!

1 Like

I saw that 552 and was momentarily tempted. My sense was that it didn’t smell right so glad I didn’t pursue.

G

3 Likes

Same here looked very dodgy to me keep well away my advice

When I cancelled it the ebayer was quite apologetic.
Also advised me that they were selling for someone else and knew nothing about the item…
Funny that hey!

Oh well…

1 Like

Old scammer trick

1 Like

They must have had the items thou. Cos they managed to take clearer pictures for me.

Which proves that they had clearer pictures, not that they have the unit. I mean, they might have the unit, but the clearer pictures don’t prove that they do.

And whether these are scammers or not, “oh but I am doing this for a friend” and/or “please send money to this other address” are typical scammer tricks anyway.

Don’t think it is very credible that someone trying to sell any 8K item is not prepared to do it somewhat properly. It is obvious that potential buyers would treat such a sale with more caution in most cases. Seems more like hoping to find the one guy who doesn’t

There is enough info in this thread to tell you its a scam and walk away or lose your money

1 Like

What is your serial nomber of your 552?

I cancelled the order but it was

The serial no. is very strange to me …363707 - 383862 2014 was the numbers those year…you did right not buying it

The serial number just means the 552 was a staff build. My Superline is the same and that was a staff build for Mark Raggett which I bought from his son. So there is nothing dodgy about the SN. Whether the sale itself is legit is a different matter.

2 Likes

99xxxx is just a Naim Staff build. As with all Naim boxes you can ask for details. Staff built boxes may use parts that have minor cosmetic defects. There is a thread Serial number 99 currently running. It is suspicious that the seller is acting for someone else!!!

Phil

In 2016 i bought from my Naim dealer a pair of S400 with staff build with 99… serial number, the rosewood venner is abosolutely top class.