NAC 72 help please

So have you fully fitted the cover, or just “test” fitted it while installing the new phono boards?
The earthing of the cover through the bolt with the star washer is instrumental to sensitive boards.

Regards
Neil.

3 Likes

The bolt was not in. The sleeve was still mid “mid slide” ! But is was quieter with no sleeve at all.
Sleeve on, bolt in ( rubber feet and steel screws in too) back to motorboating in LH channel.

The 72 is powered from an olive HC. I tried my other olive HC, same issue. And even powered it from the 140 ( had to find the link plug!). Same issue.

I’d stick the 323Es in my other 72, but that has had the links remade when serviced recently. No TT used on that 72.

2 Likes

Ah ok. I deleted my post as I’d seen you’d already mentioned the Hicaps further up the thread :slightly_smiling_face:

Just out of interest (as it’s strange it’s only doing it on one channel) but is the 72 close to any wireless devices, Ethernet Powerline adapters etc ?

1 Like

‘Motorboating’ is a classic sign of instability. Hard to diagnose without some ‘hands on’ access though. Check every cable plug / socket, but especially the phono cables for good contact and minimum interference from any mains leads etc.

2 Likes

No powerlines. I thought it could be the Rega Neo that normally lives on top, but that has been moved now.
It does ( sorry) live on top of the HC and 140. But I have ( limited by the 2 snaics) moved it away. No change.
It the LH only that is confusing me!

1 Like

No Bluetooth adapter anymore (you mentioned in a past thread you used one of these with your 72) ?

After a bit of googling I came to the same conclusion. That that then exhausted my thoughts! I’ve tried to jiggle as must as I can.
Thought I’d see what the forum can offer before sending it to Sheffield in the new year. The motorboating isn’t obvious when listening to LPs. But can be heard through the LH speaker when not.

I’ve even ( after powering down, waiting for a minute or so) swapped over the other cards in the 72, just in case it was one of those playing up. But no.

Are you using standard length genuine Naim Snaic cables?

Regards
Neil.

Ah, there is…I’ll get rid of it pronto. Just in case…
Got rid of Bluetooth adaptor, but the noise continues…

1 Like

Leave (what you think is) the duff board out and just try the ok board in each channel. That way you can prove everything else is ok ( or not).

An oscillating phono board can ‘infect’ the rest of the preamp, causing the pre itself to ‘motorboat’.

2 Likes

I am. Genuine naim too.
I’ve got some older snaics, I’ll dig them out and try them.

Both 323E boards make the LH channel motorboat. If that’s what you meant.

1 Like

But have you tried just having one board plugged in at a time ( not just swapping the two between channels) ?

Ummm. Think I have. But I will try again, just to confirm. Will be tomorrow now.

Ok. Always good to sleep on it then start over with a clear head!

2 Likes

Thanks.
Got a couple of thongs to try tomorrow.

One card at a time as you suggested.
A different set of snaics.

If after trying these things you are still unable to resolve this, tag me & I’ll interrogate a chap with much more knowledge than myself!
I think Mr.Tibbs is on to something with instability.

Good luck!
Neil.

3 Likes

Blockquote

It might be…

:rofl:

1 Like