NAC 72 help please

We 1st pretend WE know, then we ask ‘someone’ but it’s easiest to go straight to Robin.

2 Likes

Precisely! :joy:

2 Likes

Might be worth applying a bit of downward pressure or sideways pressure on the top of the card, replicating what might be happening to the card when the sleeve is in place.

Perhaps there’s a dry solder joint or fault with one of the PCB pins.

What happens if you remove the plastic spacer on the top of the card.

2 Likes

Dug a few ( way more than I thought I had) snaic 4 and 5s from the loft.

Changing one at a time I can’t say I heard a significant difference when changing any of them. :frowning_face:

Because of access, I switched the 140 off/on at the power socket rather than the rotary switch on the front.
When the 140 was switched off at the socket, the noise was louder. Don’t know if that points to anything or not.

I’ll try and get the 72 apart this evening and try a single 323E in each slot. And removed the plastic bit, to see what that does as I slide the sleeve on.

Just for completeness, what does the whole system you’ve got the 72 connected to consist of ?

You are connected 72>Hicap>140 ?

From the top.

Rega P6 and Neo.
DV 10x5 mk 2 cartridge.
NA 323 E phono cards.
HC
NAC A5 cable
Dali Zensor 1s

It’s a second system, but as it’s in my daughters room she uses it mainly.

Aside from the little issueette it’s sounds fantastic. Likely held back by the £80 speakers. OK, and so it should if I look what I’ve spent on a second system.

Ta and the 72 is connected to the Hicap and from the Hicap to the 140 (ie Hicap and 140 aren’t connected straight to the 72) ?

1 Like

Errr. Yes. Standard 72 to HC to 140.
Not sure there is another way yo connect a HC?

1 Like

Just checking :+1:

1 Like

You had me wondering for a minute there!

There’s been a few instances on here (usually with a 202 / 282 with a Hicap and 200) where the preamp has been connected incorrectly and ended up powered by both the Hicap and the single rail output from the 200. You could do the same with the 72 and 140 so I just thought I’d ask the question :slightly_smiling_face:

Good luck with the trouble shooting- I’ll be interested to know what you find :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

What you choose to wear in the privacy of your own home is your business. No-one here is judging you.

6 Likes

Haha. Not spotted that! But I’m sure my secret is safe.

3 Likes

The 72/hc/250 was one of my favorite systems and I love to hear folks are still enjoying them. It sounds like you’re narrowing it down. Fingers crossed.

So tried the last 2 ideas.
Left only one card in the LH channel and noise still there. Tried both cards.
Took plastic bits off the top of the cards as I slid the sleeve in. No change. Noise still there. Even jiggled cards in case of dry joint etc. No change. So I’m now out of ideas @Stevesky .

If I touch the HC or 140 the motorboating does reduce, not completely though. Touching the 72 does not have the same effect.

I think another trip to Sheffield will be required…

Just to be sure - put the 322’s back in & confirm everything is then OK.

When were the BNCs removed and replaced with phono sockets? I suspect the the sockets need to be insulated from the case (and look to have the washers for this) but if one has slipped it would be creating a ground loop

1 Like

I think you are correct.
I should have a need to pop up there in Q1 of next year.
My fear is that the issue can not be heard or then rectified!

Will dig out the 322s again.

BNCs removed at service, earlier in the year and done by Darran. So all done properly. Washers still concentric with sockets.

What’s odd is that its just one channel.

If the 322’s also do it, the problem is in the 72, I think…

I also like @RichardPW idea about. Very well worth looking closely at the Input Sockets.