NAC-N272 officially discontinued?

If prices skyrocket and get astronomical, we can call it the AstroNait.

4 Likes

“if” ???

3 Likes

Don´t think so:
the brand’s philosophy is to separate the power supply from the other elements, to avoid interference.

" 1. Space
We give each of the critical components to their own environment, omitting outside or ‘toxic’ interference, which means no compromise on the purity of sound.

1. Circuitry
    We minimize any interplay between the internal levels, so that you can simultaneously enjoy both the quiet and the loud, as originally intended."
1 Like

That’s true of course, but Naim are a business, and to remain viable they have to cater for the demands of their customers. For Naim it’s obviously a design compromise to squeeze multiple components into one box, but they have done it with their lower end products, the Unitis and streaming preamps, and even the Naits, with great commercial success. Whether that can be achieved with the higher end systems is another matter. Other brands can do it, but they do not have the same approach to their designs as Naim.

2 Likes

Or perhaps a range of power amps to suit your speaker room requirements.

1 Like

Perhaps a new streaming pre-amp combined with a NAP250 in the new design?

If that didn’t get called a SuperNova I’d be really sad, although it does not leave much choice of a name for anything above it.

2 Likes

End of the universe?

Black hole. That’s also where the money goes, so is apt

6 Likes

…and matching PS :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m going to speculate that the “son of 272” will be the first component to launch with the new design language as shown in the statement and the solstice.

Cue Perspex and white logos and (heresy!) switched mode power supplies!

So like a Super Nova or Nova HE then?

I doubt a move to SMPSs though.

That would throw up some difficult choices: do you buy the “son of 272” and upgrade the accompanying kit for the new range, assuming a new range will follow, do you mix and match, or do you trade in for something else? Of course you could just keep what you already have!

Waiting with interest…

The 272 setup (with optional power supply) seem to have worked well for many. The 4-box setup with a 300DR look/sound very good in a flat where you cant have a separate listening room with disco bass.

The coming years Spotify and Apple will be more competitive and tweaking the data transfer software algorithms to match the hardware to get the best quality out of the streaming process will be a thing.

This was exactly my (2nd) introduction to Naim after my first marriage ended and I moved into an apartment. I’d had a CDS3, 252, 300 system some years ago, before my first marriage, but it was too big for the house we moved into, so I’d traded it for Linn Klimax.

Anyway - me and my first wife split up - the Klimax system was left in the house we owned together (where it resides for the following 8 years! :roll_eyes:😵‍💫)

Bought a 272 - considering it to be a great little one box system that I could expand later if I chose to or had the space - I quickly added a non DR 555PS - then a few months later drove from Milton Keynes to Chester with my then girlfriend (now Wife) to have a lovely day out and collect an ex Dem non DR 300.

I ran PMC Fact12 at that time, so I did have a little bit of Disco Bass too!

Was an absolutely great system - bought in economically not too scary pieces, and well…look at me now :blush: …married again, and not just to my lovely Wife!

Here is the a picture of the the apartment with system in Situ.

First just the 272 and 555

Then I added an LP12

Then the 300

Then I changed the speakers to Bowers and Wilkins 800D3

The - apartment bursting at the seams at this point (this pic was taken the week we moved into our current house) - I added an ND555, and traded the 272 for a 552, the 300 was still non DR at this point.

…a that was my journey from a single 272 - in around 3 years.

7 Likes

That would be a no-go for me I’m afraid. To mix that new design into my Fraim with the current black box design would be a pain for the eye which I would not be comfortable with… One of the huge pros with Naim, Fraim and their boxes are they look so great together. To squeeze in a plexi front with white lights into that would look horrible IMO.

2 Likes

and a phono stage that is not converted to digital ?

Out of interest, how good do people rate the dac within the 272?
I once had the Naim dac, but didn’t think it was anything special, nothing wrong, but just not special considering it’s price.
I would like to try a Chord dac to see what that would bring.
I’ve thought about a power supply too, but with a hicap on my supernait, I didn’t feel it was much of an improvement.

Do you have a 272?

What do you use it with?

(Your system details just says ‘Devialet’).

The best upgrade for the 272 (inc. the DAC section of the 272) is a Naim 555DR power supply.

Gosh, that needs updating. I now have 272/250dr.

I’ve owned unitiserve/supernait 1/hicap/200/naim dac before the Devialet.

1 Like