NAC-N272 problem with Bubble UPnp and Qubuz

Not sure why you guys defending Naim like it is a normal procedure to sometimes do a factory reset. It means Naim’ software is not stable and not tested thoroughly. For a box of 5000 euro I expect a flawless operation. As said I like the sound of the NAC-N272 but the streamer functionality not.

1 Like

Maybe it is because many who use Naim products have not experience the problem you face. Others that have may have successfully resolved their issue by completing the factory reset. The other issue is of course not all things are equal across each users systems as well as their own capabilities to trouble shoot and resolve issues.

I have certainly had problems over the years with software and firmware on systems, some of them costing six/seven figures in the health care field. I think you need to reset your expectations. Perfection is nothing I have ever experienced and not sure if it ever can be achieved.

JMHO - YMMV

1 Like

You ever heard of a factory reset of a car ?

Search for software issue on the n272 on this forum and you find many.

I’m not defending anything, I just pointed out that the written instructions for a firmware update state that you should do a factory reset afterwards. Nearly all problems people encounter when unsuccessfully trying to run the update are the result of their having missed a something in those instructions. Perhaps this is just another example of that.

1 Like

I do not understand your question. I am unsure what a factory reset of a car would be.

I have certainly experience factory recalls for an automobile to schedule service for a piece of equipment that has a defect.

What are you asking or saying?

Having worked in industries that developed software and companies that purchased products built by vendors, I would say that sending out updates/patches has been a norm. In the 80’s these update were sent out on tape and the customer was responsible to install or pay for a representative of the manufacture to install. Of course the exception to that was if there was a contractual obligation that was not being met then the vendor may be held responsible for costs to fix.

I believe the 272 delivers the functionality that was available at the time it was sold but advances were made shortly after its release and could not keep up with the software/hardware advancements/capabilities being introduced. I believe they have done a very good job of assisting customers get as much as they can from the existing box.

Naim gen 1 streaming software is known to be fraught with problems but when you get them sorted they’re mostly trouble free with some exceptions. It’s fair to say at this price point stuff should just work but as always you’re free to find another brand or update to the latest platform that works better. Glad you got it going, Qobuz lossless through the 272 is pretty sublime.

Actually yes. A few years ago my dealer had to reset the software on my then BMW because the electric sunroof wouldn’t consistently close properly. The reset did indeed fix that problem (although I recall it also brought forward by several thousand km the next oil change service).

1 Like

Don’t forget that the firmware now has capabilities for first gen streamers, which was not present when they were released e.g. Tidal streaming, the introduction of which was documented at the time by Naim staff together with what was involved. It included an explanation as to why further services could not be added, which is really why this thread in some respects is necessary.

I would echo @seakayaker and @ChrisSU comments, highlighting that simply following the instructions Naim issued for firmware updates is hardly defending Naim. The firmware in question was first relased 18 months ago. We have all attempted to ensure you get the enjoyment from your kit, as many of us do. A few of us are involved in testing - that doesn’t make us part of any fan base. We play a small part in supporting the community. Naim, unlike one or two other manufacturers allow, within reason, open discussions and constructive criticism on the forum. I for one have learnt much from the learned contributors to the forum, for which I am very grateful.

Hi Chris, do I need payed version of Bubble to be able to play Qobuz or the free one is enough?

You don’t need to pay for bubblesoft.

1 Like

It is well worth the £4 to get a play queue more than 16 tracks and get rid of the ads, in my opinion of course. Also nice to support the developer.
If you mean the bubblesoft server that doesn’t have a paid version.

BubbleUPnP server is free, and will run on a Synology or QNAP NAS if you have one, not sure about other brands of NAS. It will also run on a Mac or PC.
There is also a Bubble app for Android, but I haven’t used it.

2 Likes

I want to run Qobuz on my Superuniti and I read now what should be installed and what should be payed. My country is not supported so I will have to start from a VPN → Qobuz → player → bubble.
I want a 24/192 quality and now I try with downloading flac’s on my pc but the streaming drops very frequently - I don’t know why :frowning :frowning:

What do you mean?

I doubt very much that just running a VPN will get you a Qobuz account. You will need a method of payment from a country in which they are available.

I don’t know. I will try. But what else can I do to have 24/192 on my superuniti?!

If you have a UPnP server on your home network you should be able to play 24/192 files reliably if you have any, although it’s vest to use a wired Ethernet connection rather than WiFi.

If you want 24 bit files from a streaming service it’s unlikely to be stable into a Superuniti unless you run a proxy server such as BubbleUPnP (free if you have a suitable device to run it on) or Roon (not free).
Then you have to either find a way to get Qobuz working, or perhaps wait for Tidal to provide a lossless 24 bit service which they announced recently.

Does bubble server give the option of creating an OpenHome instance of the streamer? If it does then apps such as BubbleUpnp or Linn Kazoo should be able to send hi-res Qobuz streams via the OpenHome instance

1 Like