NAC202 and digital audio - seeking advice

First, this is my first post…

I have a NAC202 and NAP200 and a (very) old Luxman tuner. The coming month my provider will turn off the analog signal and provide digital signal only. Right now I use both (TV=digital) audio old fashioned analog (COAX).
The market for just single tuners is rather limited here. That aside, I believe connecting such devices require setting up a router. AFAIK they can not be connected directly to the fiber modem.

The NAC 202 does not have an ethernet port and uses RCA connectors only, which isn’t really a common type.

Appreciate suggestions on how to solve this.

Anyone out there who faced the same issue in the past.

Thank you!

TV will give you radio, though the coax,
Go the other way on remote,
All radio stations are there,

And hello by the way

Many thanks. Radio is still on analog COAX, my TV, Internet is on fiber.

My provider said they will shut down the analog signal, but digital COAX signal will remain.

Am considering buying a new TV, the one I have is still an old Pioneer plasma (with a separate tuner).
I guess the TV screen should be on all the time. If so, the manual saying it is consuming some 300W.

If you have DTV radio stations are there,
After selecting station,
My screen goes off, with the radio station bouncing around the screen

Mike, what model is your Pioneer TV?

I used a USB DAC into my 202 based on the Khandas Toneboard, it worked very well, although I am unsure how you would get your new digital signal to a USB DAC.

The Tangent Tuner mkii has fm/digital radio but crucially with RCA out. Don’t know where you are but easy to order from lots of UK sites…

Old Pioneer PDP-435FDE (not a smart TV).
Intend to replace it though, with a Philips OLED908 or something similar, somehwere in the coming 1-2 months.

My provider advised as follows
(free translation…)

"
Digital radio from us
Are you already watching digital TV? Then you can also listen to digital radio from us on your TV. We offer more than forty radio stations in the best quality. Do you have a nice sound system on which you like to listen to the radio? Connect it to your TV or TV receiver with an audio cable.

Internet, DAB+ and radio over the air
There are other ways to listen to the radio, not through us.

You can listen to the radio via your computer, tablet or smartphone, whether or not wirelessly connected to your sound system. You can choose from an endless number of channels. (Some radios can also be connected directly to the internet.)

You can also listen to the radio via the DAB+ signal. You need a DAB tuner for that. It may already be built into your radio/sound system, consult the specifications (in the manual or online) or ask the manufacturer.

It is still possible to listen to radio over the air. An antenna is needed for that. It may already be built into your radio, check the specifications (in the manual or online) or ask the manufacturer. If your radio doesn’t have a built-in radio antenna, you can purchase one separately. Keep in mind that over-the-air radio is of lower quality than digital radio, and there is a limited range of channels.
"

“They” say that the ‘digital’ sound is (much?) better. OTOH probably the Naim combo that I have is analog all the way, i.e. even if I were to connect a digital radio, the sound will be converted to analog(?) I
I don’t know, this is all a grey area for me.

Maybe all is solved by trading in NAIM for an AV-Receiver?

This box can sit between your tv and Naim amp.
Lots of input options, including hdmi and optical; and rca phono output.

Digital radio from a TV will usually be a low bit rate, low quality stream, and it will probably sound very poor compared to your Luxman.
If radio for you is just background music or listening to the news it may be enough. If you want decent sound, I would be looking for a streamer that is up to the job.

1 Like

If you have internet on phone, tablet or pc, then unless you are using 4or5g mobile signal, you likely already have a router connected to or in the modem.
Knowing your country would be useful.

Thank you very much! I’ll need to investigate this.

As said, it is a grey area for me. My wife and me, we bought relatively expensive stuff at the time - also the Naim CD3.5 and B&W 804. Since then, frankly, I did not pay any attention to the AV developments .
It strikes me that a few major providers have shut down the analog signal recently. In an interview a leading provider said that this went without problems (they still had a few hundred thousands using the analog signal). Apparently they all found decent solutions, but, then again, they might have up to date AV devices (with LAN and toslink) and they simply need to use different ports and some other cables or so.

Anyway, thanks again.

A streamer… maybe, they start of here around 400 euro (350 pound) going up to some Eur.21.000
about 18.500 pound) Naim ND555.

A Naim streamer of comparable quality to your amp would be an NDX2, or maybe an ND5XS2 if you want something cheaper. Perhaps more than you would want to pay for internet radio only unless you start using it for other local or internet streaming too.

In the living room there are two network connectors, 1 to the TV and 1 through a tiny hole in the wall to my router on the other side. A 3rd cable is from the router back to the living room. That one has never been functional though: the idea was to connect a media box to it, but probably the RJ45 jackets were not properly attached. The hole is too small to pull through a ready made network cable. Cable was pulled through and RJ45 jackets attached later.
Once a new TV is installed, I’ll ask them to make it work. Then indeed I may have a spare network cable and be able to attach a network based tuner, else I may use a WiFi tuner.

Something like Imperial DABMAN i510 BT, TechniSat DIGITRADIO 143 or the like?

No idea whether they are good and the NAC202 will convert the sound to analog I suppose.

The output from these devices has to be analogue, usually and right stereo phono sockets. If only digital output then you would need a dac. The technisat and dabman units you’ve mentioned will work without anything extra, as both have stereo line out via phono sockets.

Frankly, no offence meant, I am not sure I want to spend that much money on it.
Radio is mostly used for classical background music, set to 1 radio station.

Only occasionally, in case something interesting is being broadcasted, we do listen to it ‘on the foreground’ so to say.
Reason why I would like to limit the budget to 300-400 or (max) 500 euro.

A DAB tuner will work,
Many out there to choose from
Just plug in and play,