NAC272 + NAP200 + PMC Twenty 23 what next?

If or when you dip into the market for a second hand or ex-demo XPS-DR or 555PS, check if the seller will include the Burndy to connect it to your 272. You may find they don’t include it, preferring to sell it separately.

1 Like

Expensive interconnects are only worthwhile after you’ve sorted everything else. We had SuperLumina DIN/XLR which can be found used for under £1k and did make a difference, but a PSU for the 272 is FAR more important.

272/XPSDR/250DR is a wonderful system, very enjoyable. We loved ours. No doubt a 555 would be better but at a price.

Both XPSDR and 250DR are available on auction sites with recent serials for roughly £2K.

A 250DR was a great improvement when we had it with a SuperUniti, before we got 272. In your shoes we’d go for 250DR first. We didn’t have a bare 272 for long, the PSU transforms it and the 3 box combo is stunning - a real sweet spot in the old naim range in terms of VFM.

2 Likes

Took the plunge on a recent XPS DR for the 272 today, Burndy included. Should be here, up and running by the weekend. Dealer had a recent 300 DR too, temping, but he reckoned overkill. We’ll see how it sounds, add 250 DR later, probably.

Dealer also said the PMC 25-26is I had my eye on can be bright, amp sensitive, Naim not necessarily a good match. Apparently the older non-i version is more mellow. so I need to hear them with my system before diving in.

Cheers, Alan

4 Likes

If you can stretch to a 300DR you could go for it, it’s a much better amp than 250. But read the forum, some found this slightly unbalanced compared to 272/250DR.

Overkill? Powerlines are 650 quid each :laughing: but possibly correct without a 555 to maximise preamp.

You’re in for a fun weekend, the XPSDR makes a huge difference to the 272.

1 Like

Without a doubt - a 555 psu either DR or non DR - either would be a huge upgrade…guranteed joy after you picked your jaw off the floor!

My first Naim system was/is 272/250DR/Kef Ref 3 floorstanders. My room is similar to yours in size and also has lots of glass . I demoed the system at a dealer ( in a similar room size without so much glass )and at home before I bought it. I loved it when I got it but knew it did not sound quite as good as it did at the dealers.
The difference had to be room accoustics ( the dealer had a professionally treated the demo room ) or speaker cables ( mine were quite old and not premium) . So I invested in a room treatment ( guided by GIK accoustics ) with corner bass traps and treatment of some ceiling, rear and side reflection points. This brought a huge improvement to SQ with the advantage that it should not be made obsolete by system upgrades ! This cost a lot less than a new power supply !

My local Naim dealer ( Criterion Audio) was able to lend me Chord Signature Speaker and interconnect cables which I demoed at home , again these brought significant improvement and I bought them. Most recently the dealer lent me their demo XPS DR which brought a stunning improvenent to SQ. I was able to get a good deal on this as the new range was just launched.

Sorry for the long story but I guess the message fom me from my experience is that all of your stated alternatives could bring significant improvements. But my own progress was driven by available funds so establish your budget , demo if at all possible and if at all possible consider some accoustic treatment as it is relatively cheap and wont become obsolete ( you can even move it to different rooms or homes)

3 Likes

Your room looks as if it may be acoustically very reflective, and consideration of judicious treatment may be beneficial - difficult when there is a view you want to see!

Aside from that, of significance is whether this is a final upgrade or last for the foreseeable future, or whether you envisage further upgrades in not too far off future: If the latter, then a very audible upgrade now knowing you can readily refine further may be more beneficial than trying to keep maximum system balance.

If it were me, and noting your comment about bass, I’d be wondering about better speakers, maybe going up the PMC range or sideways to a different one of their series, depending in part on your room size and assuming that the character of transmission line truly suits you. Secondhand of course for maximum buying power. Whether your amp would be adequate you’d have to assess by listening, but as long as it sounds good you’d know there can always be further improvement in the future while enjoying the sound now.

1 Like

Well the XPS is plugged in, system up and running and sounding bright and glorious. Everything is much sharper, clearer, clinical, more accurate. Listening to The Nightfly. Superb.
What is, er clear, though, is worth that all this accurately and cleanliness, it certainly sounds MUCH brighter and more forward. And it works with some sources not others. On you don’t like it, on those, it says take it or leave it, switch track. some tracks, cymbals & drums can get a bit overbearing. Def Leppard Animal on Hysteria sounds like somebody left the bass out! Yet on The Nightfly the bass is a solid accurate thump.
Welcome to proper HiFi I suppose, the ups bring some warts! But I’m happy, it’s superb many tracks are just sublime, bring out previously unheard detail, superb vocals and piano, for example.

Interesting that the last two posts both talk about the room. Both of you are dead right, it’s a very “bright” room, which I think previous relative blur and mush was masking. Having gone for the scandi scorched earth wood and glass look, fundamentally, no going back (could maybe insert a nice Chinese rug though). So I’m thinking go up the PMC range, for example the 25.24i or 25.26i, or maybe Fact 8 or 12. (Have to persuade my wife that they won’t look that much bigger). What do you think? Bigger cabinets, more bass, relative to top end. Would that help?

Another photo, cherry blossom a bit farther on, room still very oak-ey. Raining again, thought was sunny and warm yesterday, first this year in rural Aberdeenshire….

4 Likes

Is the XPS run in?

Yup. A year old demonstrator. The 272 is 2 yo, nap 200 & speakers 2012 vintage.

Funny, playing Hysteria again just now, sounds bl00dy good. Ears running in, I guess!

1 Like

I suppose on reflection, the XPS may not have many hours on it if it spent its life demoing a few hrs here and there.

Should I leave it switched on 24/7 for a week or two. Electricity only 33 p/KWh …

I would.

And yes absolutely your ears need to accustom imo

It’s a big change ime

Also I find my Naim gear improves after an hour or so of switch on.

I only ever power down the 500 in winter when my solar panels aren’t producing much and it takes a while to really come on song

It’s a very good looking room and a fine garden.

If trying speakers. I’d probably try 1 or 2 non-PMC as well as bigger PMC, even though PMC make excellent speakers.

However, before that, and before anything that gets called ‘room treatment’, I would suggest that you try the rug option. You might well be surprised by the audible effect of a rug that isn’t huge or shag pile, plus perhaps a couple of things on that coffee table to break up reflections. Much cheaper than changing speakers and perhaps easier to sell to your wife.

2 Likes

A 250DR would sound great in that room.

And a 300DR will cure any bass issues!

For me the 250 dr cured all the bass issues I had with the 300 dr. The former gave a bit leaner sound, less open, but a bit faster and more agile, through my easy load Apertura Altra.
So better try at home first.

At the price point a demo is imperative otherwise mistakes are costly.

We found exact opposite to you with 4ohm Sonus Fabers - 300DR is leaner and more agile. Bass fuller but tighter.

1 Like

No 250 I’ve owned has ever lacked in bass, good bass at that. The 200 was not satisfying in the low frequencies for me and came across bright. I do hear the 300 has quite a bit of slam though, as it should.