NAC282 Dual Hicaps

That’s always a good sign!

All this talk of second HiCaps I may have to try one on my 282, I once tried two HC on my old 82 but returned to one as I didn’t notice much difference but the room then wasn’t the best layout.

Indeed, no argument over the nature of reality - but whether the benefits of having separate, independent power supplies to each channel outweighs any detrimental effect due to suboptimal earthing is absolutely a matter that is best determined by listening.

I haven’t tried 2 Hicaps on the 282, just single Hicap compared to a Supercap, but I actually think that although not perfect, the grounding arrangement for two Hicaps isn’t too bad. It doesn’t setup a ground loop in the way that having two Snaics between the 282 and a Supercap does. Not having heard the comparison, I can only speculate, but I’d hazard a guess and say that the Supercap will sound more impressive, two hicaps more “musical”.

@Richard.Dane. Is there a grounding issue with supercap and degradation of sound quality versus 2 HICAPS as far as Naim engineers and industry representatives know?

I may have missed a post from you whilst reviewing this thread and the other “does a power supply really make a difference”, thread…is there any evidence based on actual DATA that this supercap ground loop issue in reference is a concern or issue?

I am in the process of waiting for delivery of a supercap to test, and am just inquiring. I find it hard to believe that naim would design and release a product for so many years that has a grounding issue.

And yes, to all the Naimers out there, I already know, “only your ears can discern the difference”. Given that, I am referring to data that says yes or no as far as testing is concerned.

Scott

May have missed another giving answer but connection of 2xhicaps is covered on page 13 in the Naim connection guide.

1 Like

AFAIK, the dual Hicap on a NAC82 or 28 is a slight fudge as signal only goes through one unit - no way around that. Supercap should be fine though as specifically designed for purpose.

Could you please explain what you mean by fudge, this is not a phrase I am familiar with.

I’m probably not the right person to explain it in greater detail. Better someone with more technical knowledge here. However my understanding is that it’s not absolutely ideal from a system ground perspective as the signal (and hence signal earth) only runs through the one Hicap.

I’ll give it a go …

Here’s the FAQ answer as to why in a Naim system the signal is routed through the Power Supply:

https://community.naimaudio.com/t/why-naim-route-the-pre-amp-signal-through-the-power-supply/73

The reason is that the absolute earth reference for the system is the reference for the pre-amp, which is the SUPER-CAP, HI-CAP or FLAT-CAP earth. The signal is routed from the pre-amp to the power supply using the same interconnect that takes the power feed from the power supply to the pre-amp. It also connects the two earths together. This minimises differential voltages caused by interfering electric or magnetic fields being generated between the power feed, signal and earth, so maintaining the correct relationship between signal and earth inside the power supply. The power amp is connected to the properly referenced signal at the power supply output.

With two Hicaps, the 2nd Hicap isn’t directly connected to the common ground point (for the pre-amp, hicap 1 and the power amp) that exists inside Hicap 1. Instead, the connection is there, but via Snaic connection to the 282 and then the Snaic connection to Hicap 1. The resistances and additional cabling involved in this indirect connection means the minimising of differential voltages (described above) related specifically to Hicap 2 is less effective.

Note, this doesn’t mean there is a ground loop when using two Hicaps, it just means the star earthing benefits are reduced for Hicap 2

2 Likes

Excellent summary. Well Done…!! In full agreement, here… Thats is what I had always understood.

Just looking at the costs of the suggestions here. How much more is a preloved Supercap than x2 pre loved Hicaps?

Pre owned HCDRs are about £1k. ish…
Pre owned SCDR are about £3.2k. Ish…

Not sure if SC comes with one, let alone two snaics. So add that in.

If using on a 282 it will be via snaic rather than burndy, which is where any real improvement could come.

SC leads to temptation.
HC keeps you grounded.

1 Like

Except that two HCs doesn’t keep you as well grounded as one SC :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Haha, true. Waiting for delivery of a Olive SC to go with my Olive 82, which is currently attached to a HiCap-DR. Next step will be a Olive 52 (the temptation).

2 Likes

Exactly. With just a HC or two, the move to a 52 or 252 is too great.

Oh no it isn’t… :rofl:

This is like a Pantomime…!!

So classic series is a big jump. Olive series less so. I am contemplating keeping my temporary 82 and thinking of adding another hicap ( the current second one is a cb and has to go back in to the cb system). I could instead, sell the hicap and put the money to an olive sc.

SC doesnt come with any SNAICs. Neither does HC if I recall correctly.

You get a single SNAIC with 282 and a Burndy with 252.

HiCaps come with one snaic

2 Likes

It’s unfortunate when people print wrong information as fact.

The Hicap comes with one Snaic5. The 282 does not come with any Snaic. The 252 comes with a Burndy and a Snaic 5.

1 Like