NAC282 Dual Hicaps

There is some method to Naim’s madness of what comes with what.
Typically the pre amps come with nothing. ( apart from blanking and link plugs) . Noting the 252 above.
The HCs come with the 5 pin snaic
The power amp the 4 pin snaic.
Sources come with their connection to the pre.
Xps comes with its burndy, 555psu no leads. I think the burndy comes with the source ( having no fancy 555 series stuff I’ve never seen what comes with what).
No idea what a SC comes with, but we know it’s not even one snaic.

The SC comes with a mains lead. The Burndy and Snaic come with the 252, which is the natural partner to the SC.

I stand corrected. Interestingly, when I recently part-exchanged my 282 for a 252 I returned, to the dealer, the 2 SNAICs I was using to power the 282 from my SCDR. One of those was the one I was using with my original HCDR which I part-ex’d for the SCDR a few years back.

It seems I should have purchased two SNAICs with the SCDR, and returned the original with the HCDR.

Neither dealer corrected my error’s.

Anywho, apologies for peddling incorrect information.

I’m waiting to sell one of my HCDRs - but can’t as its snaic is currently connecting my SC to the 282. I need that 252… :joy:

1 Like

Always one to watch when buying or selling second hand. Recently bought a HCDR that was said to come with its snaic and power lead. Snaic was not naim and looked home made. Power lead was a regular kettle lead. We are in discussions!

Oh dear. Not good… Caveat Emptor… :thinking:

Saying it comes with a SNAIC is quite clear & specific - means a Naim original SNAIC, unless otherwise stated - IMO.

Mains Lead is a bit less clear, sadly…

PS. Just - minutes ago - reistalled my Hicap No.2, fresh back from @Darran at ClassA. Running with Naim SNAIC5 & SNAIC4, plus Grahams Hydra feed… :smirk:

The advert specifically said naim mains lead! I had to point out, that given the HCDR that means a powerline lite.

The Naim connection guide shows two 5 pin snaics connecting 2 Hicaps to the 282. Clearly a 4 pin snaic will carry power but I wonder if the sound is any different when using 4 vs 5 pins on the ‘non-signal’ snaic??

To be fair, unless advert said ‘original Naim power lead’ any Naim lead would be ‘as described’…

The problem exists between the ears of the Seller. May not be fixeable…

Sorry…?

The ‘none signal’ SNAIC is a SNAIC 5 - it runs between two 270 degree 5 pin DIN sockets.

As is and does the ‘signal SNAIC’… Another SNAIC5…

Would you like to rethink…?

The SNAIC4 in my case is from Socket 3 of the Signal HiCap to my 140. If I had my 250 in the system, it would be a DIN4 pin to XLR lead.

( SNAIC’s are by their nature, sneaky Black (or sometimes Grey) things, which are easily misunderstood - and may also be imitated by interlopers… Accept only Real Naim SNAIC’s… )

No, to be fair to the seller a new powerline lite and pre owned black snaic have now turned up. So all good.
Just means that if/when I ever sell, I can sell complete.

1 Like

Not so much a rethink, rather that your posting was ambiguous. I now see what you meant - that the 2nd Hicap was connected with a 5 and a 4 pin snaic. As this is the standard way of connecting it - and hence wouldn’t ordinarily need stating - I wondered if you were suggesting that one Hicap was connected to the 282 with a 4 pin snaic, the other with a 5 pin snaic which is an alternative interpretation of your post consistent with your wording. No idea if this works…

Thats cool, then. :sunglasses:

Fairy Nuff, to the Seller. Did the right thing - albeit at the 2nd time of asking. Had you not been knowledgeable… :thinking:

Hmm… The only confusion could be me calling it ‘HC #2’ (c. 1990, 65xxx) - by which I meant my 2nd Real Olive HC - rather than my 1st originally CB, now Olive HC, aka ‘HC #1’ (c. 1986, 28xxx).

Currently HC #2 is installed as the ‘Signal HC’ - which is HC 1…

Meh…!! :hear_no_evil: :speak_no_evil: :see_no_evil:

I think Naim started supplying the Powerline Lite as standard with Classic series in 2017. HCDRs pre 2017 would have been supplied with standard power chord.

Thought it was about then. Both my HCs are from 2020. One new, one pre owned.

Possibly a good time to remind some members that there’s an FAQ with a thread on SNAIC ID…

……also that on the old forum Steve Hopkins did a very useful guide to what leads and other accessories are supplied with all Naim kit. Perhaps an updated version in the FAQ would help?

https://forums.naimaudio.com/topic.php?oid=1566878604301792&coid=159503632588890

I think so. Early days with mine are very pleasant :sunglasses:

1 Like