NAC282 soundstage and other matters

Yes I did. For a number of years I had an audiolab 800C/PX combo which was pretty good. The naim 202/200 blew that away. The 282 did the same to the 202, its in a different league in every department.

1 Like

The 282 is good. The sound is quite unique as what you have aptly described (perhaps it will get better if you give it more time). Iā€™ve owned the 202/200 and the 282 surely gives more of everything especially the spacious, 3-dimensional and dynamic sound where you sometimes feel music is coming from left and right of the sound field.

As i said in my original post, the soundstage has suddenly started to widen. The almost 3d image and texture in voices is quite something

Excellent. Had mine for 10+ years now with a SC and whilst the 252 is an obvious step-up itā€™s not a change that Iā€™m inclined to because I know Iā€™d always hanker after the 552 so I leave well alone. Enjoy the NDX2.

Regards,

Lindsay

1 Like

Certainly will Lindsay thanks. NDX2 will be here I understand 21st October - counting the days! Brand new simrack arriving a few weeks after that. My system will be at another level!

Hi Andy.

Yes I was very impressed with powerlines. The HiLine is fantastic but itā€™s only downfall is how fragile it is. I now use the Super Lumina. Both interconnects are like a black box upgrade, they are that good.
I personally havenā€™t heard the 300 but having moved from a Supernait2 to the 250DR, itā€™s as if the speakers have doubled in size and weight.
If this is the case again with the 300 itā€™s not an amp I would entertain in my room with my speakers. Fortunately my speakers are relatively easy to drive.

Enjoy the NDX2, it is a fantastic bit of kit.
Not sure if you have used Roon but I would highly recommend it as it brings an amazing adventure to every listening session.

:+1:t2:

1 Like

Thanks Popeye, some useful info! I have heard the Hiline has to be handled with care. Iā€™ve seen that a number of forum members hold the tellurium black in high regard so that is an option. I think powerlines might have to wait a while though. I have similar concerns to yourself regarding the 300 and the size of my room. Would definitely want to try before I buy.
I have not previously had a streamer so have no real knowledge of roon. My understanding is that it is a platform to access on line services as well as being an information/data system, am I about right?

Cheers

Andy

1 Like

That may be true in the UK, but not in the US. I acquired my 252 (ca. 2016) and SuperCapDR (ca 2018) for about $11k US. I have not seen a 552 DR for anything less than about $15k and up.

When I had my 282 I first got a SuperCar DR for it. The 252 was a natural step up after that. I was able able to make the change incrementally as I had funds and thatā€™s not possible with the 552.

2 Likes

Yes sorry, I am referring to in England.

1 Like

A 552 for $4k more than a 252? Iā€™d bite their hand off!!!

It was an older one I once saw in that range, and I donā€™t think it was DR. There is one on Audiogon now for $17k+ (marked as sold). Itā€™s a DR upgraded unit.

552s in the US are in general, are at least 50% more than 252/SuperCapDR and they donā€™t come up very often.

It seems like you have a nicely thought out plan of how to develop the system in a logical way. If you donā€™t already have dedicated mains, try to do that before spending more on black boxes. Youā€™ll get the most out of them that way.

Iā€™d not worry about concerns expressed regarding a 300 in a smaller room. My room is only 5.5m by 3.6m and the 300 is very much at home. Itā€™s just so much better than the 250 and your speakers would love it. Itā€™s more relaxed, less forced, more natural and more musical. Itā€™s simply a superb amplifier.

2 Likes

Hi Nigel, thanks for your advice. Dedicated mains is something I am considering. Will certainly be next year now after this latest round of spending! I read your comments elsewhere on the English Electric switch. I had in fact already raised this with my dealer and he strongly recommended the EE so I have ordered one and he has given me a good deal on an epic ethernet cable as well.

As far as the 300 is concerned my room is about 3.5m by 4m so slightly smaller than yours. I think from your remarks it is something to think about.

Regards

Andy

Yes, the 300 is worth considering at least. I found that BJC cables for about Ā£30 were better than one I had for Ā£300. It might be worth trying if you have an option on the Epic.

:joy: Depending on definition. Iā€™ve been staring at that one for quite some time

The obvious spanner in the upgrade works is that with a new 252 + SC you are not very far away from a good-quality used 552

Indeed. You can buy old apples or new pears.

Thats a thought of mine as well

There is one on Ebay for Ā£15.250 with 2018 serials

Which is about $19k US at current exchange rates. And for a US buyer, add shipping and cost to convert voltage on PSU.

Back to my original point, if you are in the US, a secondhand 552 is nowhere close to the cost of a secondhand 252/SCDR, not that I have ever seen. The 552 is at least a 50% premium in cost. Iā€™m happy to have gone to 252/SCDR from my original 282/HCDR. The 552 is not on my radar.