NAC282 soundstage and other matters

After the arrival of my NAC282, I went for a NAP300DR. Try to listen before jumping in a 250DR.

didnā€™t realize you are from US. For EU/UK buyers it not far away from a new 252 + SC, that was my context

1 Like

I was looking into going from a 282 to 552, Two used ones were for sale in the states, I think someone from here bought one and the other is in Canada and they donā€™t want to ship over the border. So all that money just waiting to be spent is going for a lingo 4 from 2, a Karousel from circus and (an open box) Rega Aura from prefix. Wonā€™t be done for several weeks though. and my 282 hydra and 250 dr should still sound good - and yes the soundstage did open up with time and big improvement fromm the original 200/202

1 Like

Maybe worth a holiday over here and take one back. If and when travel and the rest of it is back to normal. :crazy_face::wink:

And I guess that, added to these 19k dollars, you pay shipping and taxes ?

That is my intention when I have funds available. A home demo preferrably

Best of luck with your upgrades, Maybe one day I will upgrade my LP12. Iā€™m a bit surprised quite a few people have experienced widening of the sounstage on the 282. I think that the ex demo model I bought must have had very light use and not run in. It has had daily use for the last 4 months or so though!

Hi Andy, a very nice journey youā€™ve recently entered into! Whatever youā€™ll decide ā€¦ first of all do enjoy your beautiful setup! Last months Iā€™ve also upgraded my system, and yes, both the EE8 as well as PLā€™s are really adding value. In my setup two PLā€™s on the power-units (250DR-XPSDR) as well as a new switch (EE8 over Cisco 2960/3560) proved to be significant upgrades. However, as far as the next set of two PL-upgrades is concerned (on NAPSC and on HC) , Iā€™m not that sure yet! Iā€™m still struggling with the increased ā€˜sharpnessā€™ of my NDX2, following firmware 3.5. Iā€™m not at all certain whether this is due to the two latest PL-upgrades or due to the introduction of this new FW!
Probably time will tell ā€¦ anyway, congrats, and do enjoy your system!

Cheers Mike! My system has evolved rapidly from an audiolab pre/power based system in the last 3 years, and in the last 12 month especially. The NDX2 is something Iā€™m vey much looking forward to, being able to find new music easily on line. The simrack Iā€™ve ordered is according to one dealer very close to Fraim but at about half the cost, and it looks stunning!
Sounds to me like your sharpness on your NDX2 may be a combination of firmware and PL cables. Possibly it has unbalance your system as you are yet to put them on the NAPSC and HC. Iā€™m sure Iā€™ve read about a similar experience on here recently - just a thought! Thanks for your kind message!
Cheers
Andy

1 Like

I did a home demo of both with 282/hicapdr and Dynaudio S3.2.
300DR 100%.

The 300 is an impressive amp by all accounts!

1 Like

Itā€™s impressive by being unimpressive. It just does its thing.

1 Like

At the end of the day thats the ultimate aim , to be able to listen to and enjoy the music without worrying about the hifi, if that makes sense!

Andy

As stated in other posts, I was not impressed by the NDX2. So I use my Hicute2 to stream TIDAL to the 282-300DR, with happy results.

As long as it works for you thats the main thing. Everyone has a different perspective. Music and hifi are very subjective!

Andy

Frenchrooster -
that was the biggest part of the bargain on the Rega- they were paying the shipping, and sales tax to a state without a store :slight_smile:

1 Like

I agree and thatā€™s where I am with my system. It just completely disappears and lets the music fill the room. Itā€™s taken a bit of effort but itā€™s well worth it.

Iā€™m steadily getting there. You know your system is working well when you get that spine tingling feeling. Iā€™ve been getting that quite a bit lately Iā€™m glad to say!

1 Like

You pay taxes if you buy secondhand from a dealer, but not for private sales. Shipping costs depends on what you negotiate.

1 Like

I use my 300DR with Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinum. It was like getting a new pair of speakers compared to the 250DR. The 300DR drives them so much better.