NAC52 and POTS8

Great to hear that the POTS8 board is available again.
I understand it is used by the 52 and 82 pre-amps. Is it also used by the 252 ans 282 models?

Thanks for this question. I was just wondering the same. I have very little meaningful knowledge of what’s actually inside my 252!

I do not think so… :thinking:

@Richard.Dane @NeilS

(The 252 & 282 both came after the 52 & 82, so I expect they would both have POTS8 or their equivalent.)

They use similar pots (ALPS Blue Velvet) but I think the actually board itself itself is different.

2 Likes

Thanks Richard …

OTOH, It’s good to know that if I ever get around to changing my 82 (POTS8) for a 52**, then I’ll be able to have it upgraded!

**Olive rules :laughing:

7 Likes

Hi, I bought a 52 & 52ps last year which had been fully Serviced by an unauthorised servicer and does sound pretty amazing. Being an early model it only has the Pots 1. I have been told that no official Naim Service Centre will now fit a Pots 8. Any suggestions?

Did Naim tell you this?

DBL, I have edited your post to comply with forum rules.

If it’s a very early NAC52 then it’s probably best for @NeilS to advise on whether the POTS8 is possible or not.

However, as it was serviced by an unauthorised servicer note that anything found not to Naim standard, or any non-standard parts will be replaced/rectified, albeit at additional cost.

2 Likes

Hi, It was not Naim that told me, but one of their recommended Service Centres that explained that it was part of their Agreement with Naim.

If you mean Darran at Class A, I’m pretty sure he offers POTS8 updates as part of NAC52 servicing.

edit: just checked the Class A site and sure enough it mentions POTS8 update for NAC82 and NAC52.

Assuming you are in the UK then the only service agent other than the factory is Darran at Class A.

Neil should be along soon enough to confirm if POTS 1 can be upgraded or not. It could be expensive in your case though :face_with_raised_eyebrow::slightly_smiling_face:

To answer the question above regarding 282/252 - they don’t have a separate pots board, the pot drive is integrated into the display PCB.

Yes, all versions of 52 & 82 can be upgraded to POTS8, even the very early ones! :wink:

Regards
Neil.

6 Likes

Any units which have been modified from original manufacturers specification, unless factory approved will not be worked on, unless they can first be returned to factory specification.

2 Likes

I would only ever have my equipment serviced by Naim.

It strikes me as utter folly to pay all that money to buy the equipment, then hand it over to cowboys when it needs a service!

Just to support previous posts, I have a very very early 52 which was upgraded to POTS8 by @Darran and what a fine sounding example it continues to be.

2 Likes

Having followed this thread from the begining it got me wondering about whether or not my 52 had the Pots8 upgrade. I emailed Naim Headquarters yesterday afternoon to ask. On returning from work today I had received a prompt reply from Alex saying that I had not and that it was due a service! Tomorrow 52 and Supercap will be dropped off at my local dealer. Looking forward to their return.

Steve

1 Like

When you get it back, put your out of office on and hang a do not disturb sign on your front door. :wink:

1 Like

Or Class A

1 Like

Of course, I had forgotten Class A - although I’ve never used them.

I’ve just got my Nat-01/NAPST back from servicing at Naim HQ.

1 Like