NAC82 523 phono cards v linn Urika

Thanks @GrahamK that does indeed make sense.

Out of interest, do you know how the kore differs from majik in sound presentation? Think the keel is probably something I’ll leave until the arm gets upgraded, as I’d not want to have a keel drilled and would probably need the ekos by then.

1 Like

I hear you, but similarly I’d need another hicap for the prefix and for the superline. With the Urika, I’ve got the radikal power supply already and it also gives me a trampolin. For the £1-1.2k they’re going for… It’s a cheaper and neater option.

In some ways, I’m also not thinking of the phono stage as an amp in the same way. Love naim ‘amps’, but see the phone as more of an extension of the lp12. I’d have thought linn would probably get their own stage to be decent, too. Never heard one, but can only imagine.

Prefix’s are very reasonable now though, blimey! Aren’t they essentially the 523 cards though, which I’ve already got in my 82?

1 Like

The Prefix is big upgrade from the 523 cards.
For me the Urika has the sound signature of Linn amps.

Oh right, OK. Forgive my lack of knowledge on that one… Didn’t realise. Thought they were the same boards just inside the deck with a shorter arm lead/needing a power supply. Can’t say I’ve ever hear one.

Still, just a bit more complex in needing a hicap, which adds another £500 or so on top of the prefix cost (albeit that’s pretty low in fairness… plus the space on the rack needed.

Can’t say I’m particularly well versed with linn amps signature as such. Surely they would know how to get the best out of their TT though?!

No problem, try a Prefix if possible,I don’t think you will be disapointed.Linn has never had any strengths when it comes to phono stages or other amps compared to Naim, in my book.
Linn strengths were the LP12 and early speakers like Linn Kans driven by Naim amps and active filters.

1 Like

@Storm1 Well it was quite a few years ago that I upgraded, also mine was pre majik. From what I remember everything became more detailed… easier to pick out individual instruments.

Like you I did not like the idea of holes being drilled as I had an Ittok so also upgrade to an ekos at the same time.

1 Like

Yeah, same with most @GrahamK in that they made the leap from cirkus chassis to kore. As mine was built up with majik in the first place, I’m wondering if there’s much of a jump in performance. The leap to keel suddenly becomes quite a lot more expensive as it would then need me to swap arms too. Unless someone said an AO modded ittok would be good enough on a keel?!! Can’t imagine it would be though.

1 Like

I went back to original from Kore, I think that the groove in the music was lost with the Kore and made the sound more clinical.

1 Like

Oh wow… so you preferred the older steel chassis? Not too glowing a take on the kore then! :slight_smile:

I guess the kore v majik is only ‘thing’ if it is actually beneficial to do it… and whilst I’d be having other work done, as it’s relatively reasonable price-wise (used), once a majik is then traded/sold to offset that, too.

Yes I would leave the LP12,go for a Ekos 2 when you find one.
A Trampoline is a downgrade as you have a nice rack time stand, go for Naim Fraim if you want better.
Prefix with Hicap or even better a Supercap and a Supercap for the 82 is what I have found to be fantastic for the money.

1 Like

Yeah, must admit… I have wondered about selling the two hicap2’s and replacing with a supercap on the 82. I know I’d then want a 52… but again, not sure how much a step up over 2 hicaps a supercap would be, as it isn’t fully utilised on the 82.

A Supercap is really a big upgrade over two Hicaps,better musicality and timing a more powerful and
delicate sound.
Counting used + 24 v is not what it’s all about.
I have had four different Nac 52´s and a Nac 552 through the years, and I think that the 82/SC Prefix/SC has more in common with Nac 552 than the Nac 52,when it comes to musical engagement and speed.

1 Like

Ooooh… Nice! I didn’t realise it made as much difference as that on the 82. Always thought it was a bit overkill for it and only really for the 52. Dam it, so many bloomin avenues of improvement!! :slight_smile:

Like the sound of those improvements… A LOT!!

1 Like

With Radikal 1 it’s a shame not to use Linn Urika Trampoline 2. With my Urika, I was worried about losing the Naim signature, but that wasn’t the case.
The Prefix S/C plays great music. With Urika the music is also exellent it plays clearer and more precise, but not hifi. I found Superline/ Supercap impressive, hyper punchy, clear and very detailed, its musical presentation challenges me, a little too muscular for me.

5 Likes

And firmly in the minority…

As for phono stages, when I did the comparison I thought the Urika was quite a bit superior to the Superline. That said, I actually preferred the Uphorik over it because of the flexibility, and eventually ended up with a Rega Aura.

If you’re committing to Linn cartridges (or DVs and Lyras), the Urika is fine, but it doesn’t play well with ATs, for example.

4 Likes

It all depends on the type. I tested an AT AR9 with my Urika, it played well, but I preferred AT ART9 to Linn Krystal.

I have never heard before the suggestion that the Trampolinn is a downgrade over the rather shabby piece of hardboard that used to come as the standard baseboard on the LP12.

And I doubt that it’s true. I don’t think that LP12 owners are mugs.

You seem to enjoy making these rather extreme suggestions!

4 Likes

You haven’t heard much :wink: The Trampolin should be used if you have to have it on a heavy furniture ,if you have a dedicated stand which is preferable, it’s better with a solid base board.

OK, then, we’ll have to agree to disagree.

1 Like

Biggest improvements for my LP12 were the Radikal/Urika then the TP Javelin. The Javelin is superb.
So I agree with what @Dan_M said go for the Rad/Urika!
Biggest improvement to the amps was 82 to 52.

2 Likes