NAC82 523 phono cards v linn Urika

Have you tried yourself ?

That was the rationale for the first version; the 2nd one is generally seen as an improvement regardless of what support one uses.

6 Likes

I probably should have chosen other words. It works with ATs, but once you hear them properly loaded, I would struggle to go back to an Urika.

The ART9 is the one of them that has a lower recommended impedance, which perhaps makes it more suitable; mine is an ART1000, but this applied to an OC9ML2 I had at some point, and both share the same recommendations.

I have a Trampolinn on both my LP12s, if that’s your question.

Are you always so confrontational, or are you just having a bad day?

You’re right the Trampolin 2 is now recommended for all situations and is now made from aluminium. Things have changed from 1st Trampolin.

I had the horrible hardboard baseboard before to decided to change it out while I did the Ekos 2 and cart. It was open box and got some money off as well.

2 Likes

And do you have them on Naim Fraim or Mana or something like that ,and prefer Trampolin to a base board ?

Neither, but I’ll bring this tetchy conversation to a close now, thank you all the same.

As you wish, but if you haven’t tried then you don’t know…

Thanks for the input @alto that’s good to hear! I’m not barking up the wrong tree then at least!

Even Cymbiosis seems to think that the Solid Base Board is better for Mana and similar stands…

1 Like

Yep, I used to have a trampolin 1 on a different LP12 years ago and it was pretty cheap/crudely made compared to the rather solid aluminium trampolin 2.

Peter S did say when I had my radikal fitted that the tramp2 is definitely something worth having, so I fully trust his opinion. Kinda why I’m thinking a used Urika 1 is a twin upgrade if I can grab a decent priced one.

3 Likes

Well, I’ve got the radikal 1 already… So I’m 50% there! :slight_smile:

Did you do both at the same time, or did you upgrade the phono separately? Be good to know what your findings were of the Urika in isolation.

Cheers,

1 Like

The solid base is made from aluminium now. Both the solid base and Trampolin 2 are good in different situations.

I think Naim and dealers say Trampolin 2 is good in most situations now.

I am doing some work on my house soon in the listening room and am looking at strengthening the subfloor where my Fraim stacks are for the LP12.

I am blaming you Igel as you came up with the fantastic idea of putting my stacks on the left side wall! And I love it like that now. I had the LP12 on a shelf before. The subfloor has movement so will need to brace and strengthen it to improve rigidity. Typical of newish build (1999) with suspended timber floor. It is not suitable for stability. If you walk in area heavily the record will jump. Obviously I don’t but don’t want to be tiptoing around.

PS I don’t think Igel means anything bad, he just has his opinions. He is helpful so try not to take him the wrong way.

We are all friends afterall.

2 Likes

I would get a Urika without hesitation in your shoes. I just spent £1350 on used phonostage Tom Evans The Groove + SRX power supply. It’s great. But when I get Radikal 1 will get Urika and sell it on. You can get a Urika for less than £1k. So I can then sell phonostage and Trampolin 2. Until then will enjoy the LP12 and rather lovely Phonostage I have.

1 Like

Hi @Storm1 , sorry, yes I did them at the same time. Ordered the new Rad and dealer offered me a pre-loved Urika for a very good price.
That’s the only negative about doing two or more upgrades at a time, you don’t know what made the biggest difference :rofl:.
All I do know is that my LP12 sounds stunning!
Go with your trusted dealers advice (as I always do) & good luck in your upgrades! :+1:

2 Likes

Cheers @Blackstar… I assumed that would be the case. I did the same when I got the Karousel. I got the radikal 1 fitted at the same time. Hard to know what made what difference, but a difference they sure made!

Thanks for your input and info!

1 Like

I went, some years now, from a Stageline/Hicap (used with a 282/Supercap2) to a Linn Urika. It was a huge improvement.

I preferred the Urika to the Superline/Supercap, and while it does have different voice from the Naim phono stages, I actually love the Aro/Urika combination best.

At the point that I changed the Stageline was the obvious item to upgrade. The LP12 at the time had a Cirkus bearing, an Aro with Keel/A and Transfiguration Phoenix (and I already had a Trampoline 2 that I part exchanged).

The source first hierarchy does hold true for most circumstances, but doesn’t always need to be followed slavishly.

However, the Urika is in my view at a level above the Majik sub, and arguably the Ittok (although the Ittok is a lovely arm if in good condition and has a sweetness that I think all Ekos arms lack, although it’s more obvious with the SE which I find sounds overly hard if not matched carefully).

I don’t think that the Urika is too good for them, but I have not heard a Hana SL with a Urika. It would make sense to have at least an outline plan for future upgrades, if only to ensure future compatibility.

My record player has changed a bit since the Urika was added, but I still have my Urika (although now sporting a different interconnect to the preamp) :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Under £1k?! I’ve not seen any that low, but yeah… It seems rude not to at that price really considering a trampolin is about £250. I know it may not be the heirarchy order, but I’d hope it would let me hear more from the upgrades I’ve already done. It’s set me up for future upgrades too I guess.

From memory, I think Peter said the next best step was to upgrade my radikal 1 to radikal 2 with the upgrade kit. Seems crazy it could make the biggest difference on what is already a pretty lop-sided LP12, but I have zero reason to doubt it.

I’m definitely going to drop Peter S an email in this next week… see what he advises. Staggering what he knows and the set up they have. Thoroughly nice guy, too. Can imagine he’s tested every possible combination known to man, so sure I will be guided well! :slight_smile:

Those two could not be more different, so when you mention Mana later on, that is the exception, not the rule.

1 Like

And he’s a thoroughly pleasant human being as well!! When he came to set up my new LP12/ARO/Ekos a few weeks ago, he hadn’t brought something that he needed, so he jumped in his car and went to Audio T in Brighton to pick it up, so that I wasn’t left waiting.

4 Likes