Naca5

Time to wrap this one up.

The NACA5 is playing close to a month now. Amazing how long this cable takes to burn/settle in. Or if that doesn’t exists, how long it takes them to stop changing, whatever. My comparison and observations are only against the Cardas Golden Gross that I’ve been using for 10 years.

Not much has changed fundamentally since my update after 4 days. Except over time, it gradually got better in all aspects. The NACA5s strong points are still there, and then some. Very impressive PRaT, speed and slam. The imaging and detail improved from average to quite good and the low-end gained weight and transparency too. The ‘snap’ and attack from drums/percussion and strings is what impresses me the most I guess.

On the downside, the NACA5 also has a dryness and leanness about it, most noticeable from the midrange up, that I’m still not sure I like. Somewhat ‘mechanical’ and cold springs to mind too sometimes.

The Cardas sounds bigger with better 3D imaging and a larger stage. It’s tonally richer and provides more insight in the recording. The midrange sounds more natural and breaths better. This is very apparent with live recordings (obviously). The treble is more refined and detailed too. In many aspects it’s hands down better, there is no two ways about it.

But… I guess you knew it was coming…
With the NACA5 the amp has more control and grip on the speakers. This is particularly noticeable in the low-end/bass. I’m pretty sure this is down to the specs of the Cardas being far out from Naim’s specifications. The capacitance in particular. On higher volumes with bass-heavy recordings, you hear that the amp is having a better time with the NACA5. In 10 years and two Naim amps, the Cardas never caused any issue but once you hear the better grip, it cannot be unheard. Somehow it sounds and feels saver to crank the volume up. Funny how that works between your ears. And the NACA5s PRaT and slam continue to be addictive.

So the NACA5 stays… just… but I’m not getting rid of the Cardas yet. When you take the price into consideration, things get ridiculous. The Cardas costs almost 10 x more than the NACA5 so in that context, it’s extremely good.

Gosh this post got way too long. :relaxed:

Richard

7 Likes

Have you considered angled banana plugs to relieve the strain on the banana pin & a potential breakage
The obvious candidate is the Naim plugs.
If the 19mm pin spacing or dissimilar metals are a concern, there’s a huge selection of others available from on-line suppliers

2 Likes

Thanks @Mike-B - yes I did. I’ve considered WTBs as the SF terminals are also WBTs. They offer the right entry angle for the cable too. But they use a screw down type of connection that I’m not too keen on.

At the same time, this NACA5 is a factory terminated set (Naim box’n all) with soldered plugs. I’ve read that they are supposed to sound their best with these cheap looking nickel bananas, the same as Naim’s amp side plugs. :man_shrugging:t2:

What is it with these stupid angled speaker terminals anyhow? For speaker cables that run down from the ceiling?

Goedendag Richard, you can still solder the screw type pin connections.
I have ‘Deltron’ pins with screw & solder buckets, I held the wire in place with the screw & then soldered.
With the wire held securely in place, it makes soldering so much easier

1 Like

Goedemiddag Mike. Right… on my look into list… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Is there an optimal length for super lumina?

100m per channel.

Seriously, 3-13m appears to be recommended.

G

2 Likes

Naim sell it in pre made lengths. Unlike NACA5 I’ve never compared them though.

I don’t think that you’re suggesting that Naim supply super lumina, or are you, Richard?

Come to that, I always thought that NACA5 cable came on reels, which the Naim dealer then cut to size and terminated for the customer.

Sorry Graham I’m not sure I understand.

Super Lumina is supplied by Naim pre-terminated in specific lengths.

NACA5 is supplied to dealers on the reel. It’s then cut to the required length and terminated by the dealer.

I’ve compared different lengths of NACA5, but never done this with Super Lumina.

Richard, I apologise if I was talking nonsense.

I have never heard of Super Lumina, and I have no idea what it does in a Naim system.

No doubt someone will be along soon to enlighten me. (Perhaps I have some in my own system without even knowing it!)

That’s ok Graham. Super Lumina are Naim’s top of the range speaker cables and interconnects.

What Richard said. Here’s a bit more:
https://www.naimaudio.com/product/range/super-lumina

I lay my excess NACA5 down so it doesn’t coil, doesn’t touch other cables, and doesn’t zig zag.

It’s got 1 inch slices of pipe lagging to stop it rubbing on the carpet and touching other stuff like racks and walls.

A very sexy solution that was featured on the cover of Design Weekly in 1973.

Thank you, Richard (and Suedkiez), I have simply never heard of it. It must be fairly new, I assume.

Is it fearsomely expensive? Can I find a price list somewhere?

I wonder if I should I be thinking of replacing the lavender interconnects in my system. I certainly don’t want to change all the loudspeaker cabling that’s fed through various walls and ceilings…

Hmm, expensive hobby this!

The SL speaker cable was introduced in 2014, but it doesn’t say about the interconnects: https://www.naimaudio.com/product-history

Yes, is expensive, the interconnects are around 2K depending on how it’s terminated, the speaker cable 2K per meter for the first 3 meters, pair. Prices are on Google or dealer websites :slight_smile:

Lavender and NACA5 are fine cables, don’t overthink it :slight_smile:

I think Superlumina Speaker cable is just over £2k for a 3m pair.

G

True, I misread, but every additional meter is 700

That’s getting on for a silly price, so I’ll keep the lavender i/c, for the time being.

I’ll try to hear the Super Lumina at some point, but won’t rush.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.