Naca5

Thanks for sharing, interesting to read that.

But it doesn’t really provide anything like a range. I.e. for NAC A5 minimum is 3.5uH, at recommended max is 20uH. So that’s an okay range? But the max length is probably restricted by resistance as also indicated by the above, so not the inductance.

So now we know something about NAC A5 (min. 3.5m, max 20m), and lightly twisted multistrand wire. But what about another type of cable? We have to resort to (educated) guesswork.

And it’s certainly not an exact spec, even if the exact range (specwise) is not clear, there’s ranges specified for their cable.

Don’t worry, Adam will find something in his archives very soon :rofl:

“… might be summed up in the following words:
what can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence.”

Ludwig Wittgenstein

2 Likes

Your banana remains enigmatic for me, even if I understood globally what Ludwig is saying.

The banana is the message. Only the signified can be experienced…

1 Like

So it could have been an apple or a muppet

Worth trying some cats in your banana plugs for extra “bite” in the sound presentation.

6 Likes

Not an usual fan of cats, but here I confess they look cute.

Just plug them in and have a listen. Forget numbers and speculation. It does not get any easier or become anymore obvious…

For clarification: Cat5a on the right, Cat 6a on the left :slight_smile:

5 Likes

The cats?

Cats, bananas, slippers and wires? :crazy_face:

1 Like

My evil work is done.

I think.

3 Likes

Your profile made me laugh and distracted me from a proper reply. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Hah. Never… :rage:

Except with Naim the “wrong” cables can actually damage things…

I like that Naim decided, since the customer was going to have to have speaker cables, they might as well be part of the overall design.

Probably, they figured most customers would need at least 3.5m of cable so designed the amp and speaker cable accordingly.

I think that’s a better solution than designing an amp to cope with a variety of speaker cables, with the inevitable compromises this must entail.

2 Likes

Except even they sell two different speaker cables with very different specs. 3.5 min. will result in different values for either. And supposedly 7-10 sounds best, not 3.5 at least in the case of NAC A5. So it’s certainly not exact, there’s a range, and many different cables could meet those requirements. If they were known of course.

This will be interesting the next two weeks or so. Just hooked up the NACA5. :blush:

They are brand new out of the box so they’ll need time before any serious auditioning.

1 Like

Hi, are you able to tell me the width of the NACA5 ?

I need to see if it will fit in my existing trunking.

Very grateful