Naim allae woofer wrong orientation

It appears to be the case, before your ownership I wonder how the Allaes have been cared for over the years, perhaps located in a humid room?

Also the damping weight is missing for the main driver on your picture, unless you have removed it?

Well my country is humid 365 days so the foam is bound to disintegrate quick, about the damping weight. It is still there, hidden under the white cloth thing.

If you look at the woofer pictures SeanF and I posted it shows a damper, foam strip hot glued to the woofer with two metal strips, your picture just the foam strip.

The mass dampers is still there

This pic is another side, the previous pic has the mass dampers there, shiny looking. The previous pic has the mass dampers looked so close together that it looks like there is only one but actually there is two.

Ah okay, must be a trick of the camera.

Goods news then :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Is it possible to remove the old hylomar with isopropyl alcohol 99%? As i plan to redo the foam next month or so

They are indeed bolted Richard - there are 4 prong tee nuts on the inside of the cabinet. So they should remain captive when the bolts are removed.

Regards
Neil.

1 Like

No. I would use lighter petrol or white spirit to remove the old using a rag, use IPA before the re-application of Hylomar, then use a medical syringe when ‘reapplying’ the Hylomar.

Don’t they have a syringe included already?

I would be inclined to steer away from using white spirit, as it doesn’t evaporate as fast - you don’t really want it soaking into the exposed cabinet material around the aperture, it may swell.

Regards
Neil.

1 Like

I had a friend aswell, told me that I don’t need to use a torque screwdriver if I don’t want to spend more but make sure that it is tight but not overly tight.

Hmmm, then what do you suggest. I also googled and found that acetone should not be used aswell, as it can damage the wood. I’ve seen some people said denatured alcohol works aswell.

Lighter fluid and meths may do the trick.

I think liquid lighter fuel/meths would work well to get rid of the worst of it, then IPA before reapplication.
Just don’t drench it, apply the products to the cloths.

Regards
Neil.

1 Like

Hmmm okay, do you think there is a chance that the hylomar easily peel off without taking the veneer away

If I do reapply the hylomar, do I apply it to the cabinet or the driver itself.

Once the initial seal has been broken it should yield quite easily, concentrate on one corner applying some pressure via the basket from the inside. Be sure to “govern” that pressure with your other hand on the outside of the cabinet.

Regards
Neil.

Ah I see, thanks for the guidance.

The cabinet, it’s much easier to control the size of the bead. You will probably be able to follow the witness marks in the veneer to ensure you’re in exactly the right point where the two surfaces will meet.

Regards
Neil.