Naim and Arcam

Hi guys. I was looking for a cd player/ network streamer. I own nait xs2. And just ordered Arcam CDS 50. What do you think of this combo? My main listening is cd and qobuz. The alternative was Marantz but I wanted British brand to pair with Naim.

1 Like

Absolutely no reason why it shouldn’t work very well. Arcam are a good brand.

Regards,

Lindsay

3 Likes

It looks very good with the CD and streamer. Be interested to see how it sounds on the Nait XS2.

1 Like

Just bare in mind that Arcam is actually part of the Samsung group of companies within the Harman subsiduary.
They maintain the brand but the design and manfacturing is primarily handled in Asia.
Marantz tend to be well regarded in terms of new CD players.

3 Likes

SACD too! Looks a tidy unit. Will be great with your amp.

1 Like

And why is that a bad thing? I thought most of their stuff was still designed in the UK and just built in the far East. All the stuff I have had been.

1 Like

Merely an observation not an abject criticism of the current state of Arcam as a company.
I own and still use an Arcam AVR350, I did dabble with replacing it with newer versions over the years but had poor experiences when evaluating those products.
They may well still make products representative of their price points but what they aren’t is a bunch of chaps in Cambridge making British hifi in Britain.
The OP appeared to be of the belief that Arcam remains a British company but it hasn’t been since 2015 when Harman bought them who themselves were subsequently absorbed into the Samsung group of companies.

3 Likes

Certainly the OP seemed to be of the belief that he was buying British when that would appear not to be the case…

1 Like

My dealer said that Arcam products are designed in UK but now produced in China because of cheaper cost to produce. That was also written on the one of Arcam amps I saw in the shop. I know that Naim produces almost all of its products in UK but they are owned by a French company also.

1 Like

Interesting! I didn’t know Naim is owned by a French company. It’s owned by Vervent Audio Group which was acquired in 2019 by Alpha Private Equity, both French companies. May be that is why Naim partnered with Focal instead of another English loudspeaker maker. Focal almost always come first in the same sentence with Naim which had me wondering.

Reminds me of Mr & Mrs Smith. :joy:

We’re gonna have to redo every conversation we’ve ever had.

2 Likes

I believe the first move was Focal buying and/or merging with Naim.
Focal then got bought themselves… :thinking:

More here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focal-JMLab

1 Like

From my experience an Arcam source works really well into Naim amps. Should sound sweet. I would also try to source a Phono >> DIN interconnect lead as well.

2 Likes

I had a nait 3 with a alpha 5+ CD player into es11 speakers back in the 90’s All my drunken buddys rated it big time. Love arcam. Not sure these days though, think the build is a bit lacking,but back then wow it was great on a budget.

2 Likes

Was awful imo :weary:

The great British sell off!:flushed:
To me the country of build origin is as important as the philosophy behind the product. Personally I’m over China and all it’s short comings and short cuts. I would like to think that a CEO of a company that’s not based in China would view the product has a loyalty base that is aware of origin of manufacturing. For me it would be a game changer for Naim to move operations to China , the muso being built in said country has stopped me from buying one. Plz don’t think I’m being racist or discriminatory that is far from the truth, it’s just something’s need to be from where they are designed And thats not China. We seriously do not need anything more from China imo

5 Likes

A similar system that really stood out for me in those days was a Arcam Alpha 5+ - Nait 3 - Rega Ela mk1. Was quite lean but boy could it draw the listener in :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Do you use Apple products?

2 Likes

yes iphone and iMac.And CDS came, very satisfied and big upgrade from my previous
yamaha source.Also love that arcams and naims remotes are completely interchangeable for both player and amp.

1 Like

Most things have a bit of China in them, I’m sure components in the latest Naim products are made in China and probably been that way for years. I have no emotional connection to a cell phone or a computer. My stereo is in a completely different league. To me the build is part of a country’s cultural identity. A car built in Mexico versus Japan? I know which one I would buy. A stereo made in the UK vs China I know which one I would buy how about you? From what I understand handmade in Britain is and was highly sort after, hand made in China is not.

2 Likes

Just bear in mind that Arcam does not support gapless playback… At least their streaming products didn’t in the past…
If you’re a fan of classical or progressive rock…

1 Like