Naim and Arcam

Not the same argument covered in the Naim knock off thread… if people don’t want to buy Chinese stuff then they can choose not too. The fact that some things like iPhones etc are only made in China does not belittle their choice not buy other goods to when they do have a choice. Personally I avoid ANYTHING Chinese when I have the ability to buy elsewhere.

3 Likes

I have several hifi components designed and made in China they are excellent. China has quality built and designed products and brands like anywhere does and also discerning audio enthusiasts and designers innovating. The west is not exclusive to to this and they have created some amazing sounding products.

I have had an Arcam AV amp for many years and it’s fantastic, designed in UK and built in China works and sounds fantastic.

I don’t have emotional attachments to equipment only music and the country of origin does not stop me from enjoying that.

I don’t purposefully seek British goods out over others. To me made in Britain does not always assume great build and certainly not reliability and expertise in all areas. But definitely more expensive regardless. The two UK produced hifi components I have had most recently one with the made in Britain flag stamped all over it have had two faults. One product still has ongoing issues with its current software.

To me it’s about choices, variety is the spice of life.

2 Likes

British Leyland anyone?

3 Likes

Good for you

Sadly a Union Jack on a product doesn’t mean it’s made in the UK eg Wharfdale speakers… a lot of products sell on an old brand name etc. You only have to look at Vauxhall cars… whose advertising states “ a British brand since 1903” ( or whatever the year was) but made by a french company in Germany and Belgium.
Re Chinese innovation in hifi… hmm innovation or “ borrowing” … your choice of course but some choose another path.

2 Likes

Have to say, going off piste now

Guilty… but the other boy started it Miss…

Coat on…

1 Like

Sounds like a great option. Heed in Hungary is another great hand built option for high quality products that go well with Naim, nice CD players etc,

I think you will find ProAc are made in Britain :slight_smile:

If you support industrial thieves over your own country’s workforce because it’s cheaper, off to the gallows I say. Disgraceful.

4 Likes

I find that extremely weird. Wouldn’t you go for quality, regardless of where it’s made?
Or is it patriotism or other alternative movitv? In which case specify.

There’s a lot of crap coming out of China, but that doesn’t mean everything is. Just judge an item by its merits, not by its origin. If the origin is important, at least specify why. And then also apply that judgement consistently.

Hi n-lot,
Nothing weird… perhaps to you though?
Firstly see my reply 80 on the naim knock off thread. I have other replies on the same thread. That will fully answer your question.
Having a disposable income I can choose not only what I wish to buy but also apply my own moral judgment as to what economies I wish to support.
Happy to buy from most of the world, China is an exception. For your info I apply this consistently !

Ps getting off topic again…

5 Likes

Same here.

3 Likes

I think, for the sake of the OP, it’s time to get back on topic. Thanks.

2 Likes

I switched from Arcam to Naim after I was burgled.

These days I don’t think they compete in the same market. Shame .

They may be designed in UK - but there it ends. You haven’t said what your amplification is ?

I think other than Arcam the only company that makes a streamer/cd player and is UK made is from Leema - but at a much higher budget

1 Like

Amp is nait xs2

I think the Leema may be a good match at a similar price point (I understand )

My view is that a sub £1,000 source is usually not a good match for a £2,000 + amp

Plus the Leema is designed & made in the UK.

3 Likes

Have you got your Arcam CDS50 now?
I used a Naim CD5 XS on a NAIT XS 2 for some time and loved that combo, still serviceable and pop up used from time to time.

1 Like

Arcam used to be a Cambridge company.
Acoustic Reasearch Cambridge.
Was once a few coming from this area.
DCS still operating amongst others.

1 Like

Not quite, they started out as Amplification & Recording, Cambridge before shortening the name. They did in fact produce a cassette deck for a short while

2 Likes