Naim and Dynaudio Thread

Interesting swap! I auditioned my Star with Evoke 10’s because the dealer didn’t have my Emit 10’s available. I found they needed more volume to sound as engaging as the Emit’s. They sounded a tad more polite, refined, sophisticated than the Emit’s to my ears. What made you decide to make the switch?

The emits arrive Thursday so I’ll let you know! But the emits were cheap and I’ve never had dyns before but wanted to try them. I like their ethos and coming from Atc in the past , a company that bothered to make all their drivers is good In my book. But I’m not keen on the silver trims and the treble seems a bit sharp at times so thought I’d look further up the range and again I’ve got the evokes exdem at good price…

1 Like

The price of the Confidence 20 includes the stands. :slightly_smiling_face:

according to my dealer, 300DR would be fine into the 50’s. I did end up with a 500 but that’s because I got a used one for not overly more than the new 300 would have cost me…

Thats a nice deal! Is it a DR? What is your pre and source? Do you think a 272 with 555ps would be suitable for a 500 amp or would that be unbalanced? (I would audition anyway, but just to hear your opinion).

see here:

(post 5456 onwards)

and here:

for my thoughts and story…

Dynaudio just announced a new standmount, limited run speaker (2500 pairs), called the Heritage special. Check their website for details, but looks like a modern version of the special 25.

1 Like

Evokes just set up and they are deffo a darker more sophisticated sound than the emit. I’ll need to move them out further as well as more bass than emit.
Look very classy in gloss black too

9 Likes

8 Likes

Dynaudio heritage special, similar In looks to the 1.3mkII contour,but the price is £5k+!!

Very nice!

Need up to 200W and are 4 ohms so I guess will need some serious amplification. They are beautiful though

Still love my Special Forty‘s, no urgent need to change😉

2 Likes

Had my evoke 10’s three weeks now and they’ve been on all day every day with home working radio duties. Just playing the new faithless album and my oh my have they opened and tightend up or what! Amazing bass quality from a small speaker and the cerotar tweeter is stunning. Really pleased I purchased these to have a play with. I’ve got the matching stand 10 coming for Xmas so should be even better !

5 Likes

The price is extraordinary

Yeah, 85db sensitivity. These will want some current to shine. 300DR should do. :slightly_smiling_face:

Now that is a beautiful looking speaker.

A little bit off topic but it’s well documented by me here that I moved away from Naim amps mostly because of a mismatch with my room, my Contour s3.4 and all the Naim amps I tried up to and including a 300 the closest to working was a 250DR.

Fast forward and I now own probably only as a fill in Quad Artera/EliteQSP Pre/Power I always suspected the Naim amps where underpowered for my set up and last week with the Neighbours out I turned the 250 watt into 4ohm Elite QSP right up and I mean RIGHT UP until I got a bit scared but the Dyns sounded incredible Elvin Jone’s Drums and Jimmy Garrison’s bass on the excellent All or Nothing At All from Coltrane’s excellent Ballads jumped out of the speakers and into the room.
No sign of them breaking up like they used to with my Naim amps which goes to show that set up and room acoustics are key in this hobby of ours as I know that all of you on this thread have a different experience.

Not sure if you’re being sarcastic but it looks like a plain speaker to me with an extraordinary asking price

An audiophile and his money are soon parted as they say

to clarify : the asking price of the new Dynaudio Heritage for such a modest speaker seems extraordinary to me - in the UK 5500 GBP. By comparison the Confidence 20, also a bookshelf speaker is 7,250 GBP - which is also an extraordinary price.

maybe there’s rich people around who don’t question these things, but hi-end hi-fi prices keep going north.

I fondly remember when the B&W 805S used to be priced 1600 GBP back in 2005. The 805S was a hi-end speaker, and was not embarrassed when compared to many speaker costing multiples of that price.

Now the latest iteration of the same speaker, the B&W 805D3 costs 4500 GBP for a standmount.

blimey.

3 Likes