Naim and Spendor Thread

My first Naim amp was the original Nait 1 back when it first came out. I used it with LP12/Ittok/ARP77 into my existing Spendor BC1s. Sounded very good indeed, and much better than the Rotel 802(?) receiver and Thorens 160/Ortofon set up which I had been using.

Set me off on the upgrade track though, because a few months later I upgraded to NAC32/HiCap/250 into Linn Saras. Changed cartridge to the original Linn moving coil (can’t remember it’s name now). Long slippery slope since then …

4 Likes

Yes I did an upgrade about three months ago.

2 Likes

When I purchased my D7s I did listen to the PMC 20.23 and much preferred the D7s.

1 Like

I see you had the original D7’s and now the Kudos. Kudos don’t really exist here in North America

Hello from France,

Since end of 2019, I have a 202/HC/200DR +CD5 (2002 version) with Spendor A2. I’m very happy with the sound (before my system was Nait5 + CD5/HC and Spendor A2=> huge update with Preamp 202 + Amp 200DR ! ).

Now, if you compare the A2 vs sound, the sound is huge, a lot of presence, energy, dynamic, finesse, detail, deep soundstage and bass authority also. FYI, I spent a lot time (move and move the speaker in 2D dimension) in order to have the good results for the bass, soundstage, and voice. Today, the distance between rear speakers and the rear wall are 640 mm and 940 mm from the lateral walls. My piece is 44 square meters (11 meters * 4 meters) and , from my point of you, you need to adapt the placement of your speakers vs the piece in order to find the best combo.

With Jazz music and voices, and of course a good CD, you would think that the singer and musician are just front of you (smile and pleasure assured). I never found this system fatiguing and this system seems homogeneous

5 Likes

I love my 2/3R2 speakers.

7 Likes

Will a Supernait 3 be powerful enough to drive Spendor D7.2s at a higher volume?

1 Like

It was for me, I couldn’t get above 9 o’clock on the volume dial without worrying about my neighbours.

3 Likes

The SA1’s were much starker. Very little mid-range warmth, compared to S3/5’s. I found them a tiring listen, yes, they had slightly more bass heft but they didn’t last long on the end of my Nap200. The joy when I switched the S3/5Se’s back in…

2 Likes

Thanks for your comments on the SA1’s.

The lack of mid-band warmth seems to be a common observation, at least when paired with Naim and in comparison to the 3/5’s. I don’t want to lose the mid-band warmth for more detail and frequency extension.

I see Spendor has introduced a Classic 4/5 which might be worth an audition just to see how this model has evolved.

1 Like

Demoing and SN3 with my D7.2s now and it’s more than enough.

2 Likes

I auditioned them yesterday with a Supernait 3 and there was more than enough power indeed. The volume knob didn’t come up much before the volume was higher than I’ll ever use them at home.

I also auditioned some Audiovector R3 Signature and Avantgardes, Focal Kanto 2s and B&W 804 D3s. To me and the other customer I was listening with the Spendors were the best. So much control and detail. Quite a speaker for the price.

3 Likes

Thanks for your input @Wenslauw. I plan on auditioning some of the speakers you’ve mentioned (Focal and B&W) as well. My brief audition of the D7.2’s made a very positive impression on me that’ll be hard to beat(at the price)

1 Like

I’m curious to hear what conclusion you came to.

1 Like

Will do, it’ll be awhile however as my tax bill is due :frowning: Regardless the price is much better for the Spendors

1 Like

One day I’d love to have a pair of SP1/2 or SP100s . . .

2 Likes

Well, I just found a strange crack in a wooden beam supporting the ceiling in my living room. I’m afraid there is some leakage somewhere that will take a lot of money to fix. Old houses… stay away… I’ll wait a bit before I had it looked at and I’m sure I don’t have a problem.

1 Like

I have a Uniti Star with Spendor SA1 which is a lovely very natural sound, recently ‘upgraded’ to PMC 25.23 as I wanted a little more scale and bass. PMCs still running in, but currently the SA1s are providing a better sound. I really hope they improve or it will be back to the SA1s. Interesting to hear some comments that the SA1s lack midrange, that’s not been my experience at all, I’ve found vocals to be excellent.

2 Likes

I tried some PMC 25.24s next to Spendor D7.2s and the Spendors were tighter and clearer in the bass. The PMC sounded muddy in the lows to me. No definition, just humming.
So much clarity in the D7.2s… I will get them as soon as I can. This whole Corona thing could make me having to postpone getting them.

3 Likes

I hope this coronavirus ends soon as well.

1 Like