Naim app failing to find ND5XS2

Oh well spoke too soon. I’ve just been listening to an album and it just suddenly stopped and now the streamer isn’t visible on the network. Time to reboot everything and see what happens.

Just vanished from the network. The Net Analyzer app on my phone isn’t seeing it, but the status light on the front is green and according to the docs that means it is connected to the network. I’ve rebooted the router, the mesh wifi and the streamer but nada so far.

Sorry to be so negative but £2400 saved. Phew. The advantages of the forum I suppose. Going to fill the house with Apple HomePods. Putting the fun back in to music without the stress.

1 Like

I think that maybe you’re being a little harsh on the ND5 XS 2. I have had mine here for over a year now and it has been faultless in every way. I wouldn’t let one thread throw you. It’s a superb source component. Many owners are enjoying their players fault free and as others have pointed out here, this appears to be a network glitch as opposed to it being the player at fault. Let’s hope the OP has it sorted soon so they can get on with enjoying their player and for what the ND5 XS 2 is designed to do - play music.

4 Likes

Well before I went to bed last night I unplugged it from the mains and when I got up this morning I powered down the router and the BT Whole Home Wi-Fi mesh system. I then powered up the router and waited until it was connected to the internet, then powered up the mesh and waited until that was ready then plugged the ND5XS2 back in. The light on the front stayed orange for a while then went green and the Naim app could then see it and we’re back in business.
The nagging doubt I now have is that my network is now very simple; a Billion NL8800R2 router with the Wi-Fi switched off, and the BT Wi-Fi mesh system providing the Wi-Fi to the rest of the house. Powerline adapted are all gone so I don’t see how I can make it any simpler. Fingers crossed yet again. When it is working it is a fabulous source qnd hopefully I can get these issues sorted one way or the other.

Looking at the spec sheet of the Billion router it supports DLNA is this off on your setup.

At the beginning of my ownership i was sort having similar problems as yourself, in not with my player just dropping the music in mid-play but rather the Naim app not waking the player up from first command. Sometimes this this turned out to be my iPad not connecting to the network when brought out of sleep mode. I think it was a setting somewhere in iOS that cured it, i can’t remember which one, it was a year ago now. Other times it was the Naim app. However, ever since the latest firmware update, everything on the operational side of things has been faultless.

I normally put my player into standby mode when finishing a listening session with no problems at all. This used to be a bit ‘hit & miss’. Indeed i have mine to go into standby mode after an hour or so of being idle.

Just out of interest - do you put your player into standby mode or do you leave it on 24/7? So you can try and narrow your issues down a bit more? Also have you tried resetting the Naim app when this issue arises again? I’m just trying to throw a line that’s all as i know how pedantic these things can be. Once up and running though and as you say, all is good. Fingers crossed.

Is your ND5XS2 plugged into your Billion LAN switch port along with at least one of your home mesh discs, and your Billion wifi switched off?
If still problems, then bypass the Billion switchports… connect a little a Netgear or similar and have at least one of your mesh discs and your streamer and NAS connect to that switch. Ensure you have a single connection going from the switch back to the Billion.
If then you have still a problem, which I think would be really unlikely, … but then I would as a last resort fix the ND5XS2 IP address as a kludge for your router DHCP, but if still problematic then 99% certain it’s your streamer for some reason…

(Sorry, I am just so wary of so many of these off the shelf consumer routers, and I would isolate away from it as much as possible, from your description is does sound like it is misbehaving in some way)

Thanks Stephen. Your views are always welcome. I will continue to monitor the streaming threads.

1 Like

@jmtennapel The streamer is connected by wifi, ethernet unfortunately is not an option at the moment

@HiFiman DLNA on the router is only for the onboard USB port and is disabled in any case

@Stephen_Tate I’ve set the streamer to be on 24/7 while these network issues are on-going. I can’t reset the Naim app when this happens because it gets stuck on the ‘can’t find any rooms’ screen and does not give access to the app settings from there

@Simon-in-Suffolk The BT mesh wifi is plugged in to one of the ethernet ports on the Billion and the onboard wifi on the Billion has been switched off and the ND5XS2 is connecting on wifi from the disc that is connected to the router and in the same room. All 4 ethernet ports are in use on the Billion; one to the BT mesh wifi, one to my NAS, one to the Sky box and one to a Sonos Bridge. Everything else is connected via wifi on the BT mesh. I’d love to have the streamer connected by ethernet but alas not a practical option right now.

ok See how it goes… That should be fine…

Your control point (Naim app) is on iOS yes? I ask as it sounds like possibly troublesome Android implementation behaviour as I mentioned earlier

I guess this is why a screen is a good idea at least you can hit play on other Naim streamers whereas the ND5XS2 needs the app.

No we’re an Apple-free household so the Naim app is running on Android. But the fact that my Windows laptop couldn’t see it on the network either suggests Android isn’t the problem here perhaps?

I can’t see the streamer from my usual listening position do the lack of a screen normally wouldn’t be an issue to me but it sure would be useful in cases like this!

So you are saying it was playing out and it suddenly stopped and disappeared off the network?.. and close to wifi mesh?
In which case it’s pointing to your streamer being suspect.
An experiment is to temporarily use an Ethernet lead and see if that changes anything…

I am scratching my head without seeing logs… as my NDX2 is rock solid and has no issue waking up from standby when by Naim app use or sensing media.
I do use Ethernet however, and a Ubiquiti ESSID overlapping wifi zone and iOS supported Naim app.

Yes that’s exactly what happened, I was streaming an album from my NAS when it just stopped mid-stream and then wasn’t discoverable on the network. I tried shutting everything down then bringing them back up one by one, router first then mesh system then streamer. Last night that didn’t help so I unplugged it from the mains overnight and when I got up this morning I powered down the router and mesh system, brought them back up and then plugged in the streamer. It was visible to the app and network once it had booted up and has been fine so far this morning. I just hope it stays that way!

Ok I would contact your dealer and Naim support… that is not correct by wifi or Ethernet, and as you appropriately point out has nothing to do with your Android control point… but I still think they are rubbish :grinning:

Can you get logs from your router… it would be interesting to see if it flags some sort of wifi disassociation message from your streamer when it happens… but don’t do instead of contacting dealer/Naim

Long shot but is it worth enabling the DHCP server on the NAS and disabling the one on the Billion router or extend the IP lease time on the Billion DHCP just in case this is at fault.

Another option can you assign a static IP on the ND5XS2

I did try assigning a static IP address on the streamer when I first had an issue but the Naim app told me it couldn’t connect to a manually reconfigured device so I gave up on that idea.

I can get system logs from the router and the mesh wifi as well I believe but they have all been lost since powering down. If it happens again I’ll see if I can find anything. And if it happens again I think I’ll definitely have a word with the dealer and Naim support.

1 Like