Naim app on ipad

I would be tempted to turn that off & see if it affects your problem in anyway. It might not be the problem, but its something that must be eliminated.

My bet is the issue is with your “WiFi thingy” (which is generally known as a “WiFi access point” by the way! Or WAP for short.)

Configuring these can be a real challenge and they aren’t all as good as they should be. Naim uses particular standard protocols to let the app talk to the NDS, Core etc and these protocols don’t always transfer well across different network elements, owing to poor implementation in the network devices. It would be interesting to know whether the Naim app on your iPad is more reliable if the iPad is on the main WiFi in your house. I know that won’t be very useful there, but if it works then you know where to look for a solution.

Best

David

I agree that the WiFi extender is a possible culprit, and it would be worth eliminating it as a test. To do this I would unplug it completely, then restart your router, streamer and iPad. Then see if the app, connected to the router, performs better.

That’s a good idea. I’ll try that.

The only problem is the listening room is across a farmyard and down a track, no BT home hub signal there! But I will try it inside the house. If it is rock solid there, then the WiFi jobby in the out building is the culprit.

Exactly!

I await the answer with interest!

Best

David

@matfff
I also have one of your issues in that if I use the IPad for something else for example Web browsing while listening, when I go back to the Naim app I frequently have to “refind” my ND555 which only takes seconds and then back to Qobuz or whatever else I was listening to.
Otherwise works well.
ND555 Ethernet wired to switch over 100mps WiFi to iPad. I do use a WAP in the HiFi room connected via Ethernet to switch

Yes, I was suggesting this only as a primitive test. If the extender turns out to be the culprit maybe you could try replacing it with one of those BT discs which should be compatible with your HH.

@matfff I use the latest BT router, 1GB fibre to premesis. Catsnake Cat 6a cables to EE switch in office for Nova and to 2x ER switches in living room for Melco/ND555. I use my iPhone (XS Max) for the App mainly. I do use the iPad sometimes. IPad is not as problematic. Could be the iPhone version…

Everything else works perfectly. Zero dropouts. Super fast speeds. Naim app is the only one thats problematic. All other devices such as TV can see everything else on network when Naim App can’t. Main problem for me is icons freezing and not responding to the touch input. Switch off and start again and it works. Music just stops randomly and then again I have to switch the app off so I can get the play button to work again.

Its been like this since I started using it 4 months back. I have deleted and reinstalled but no different. Some days better than others.

I must say I have experienced non of the hardware issues people post about and this is the only small issue I have with streaming. Everything else is slick.

Thanks. Following on from others suggestions, I’ve been sitting in the house with music ‘playing’ in the listening room (mute button is on, cows need their sleep!). Flitting back and forth between web browser/zoom e.t.c and the Naim app, it does seem a lot better. The track that’s playing always comes up super fast, sometimes the details of the selected playlist lag a bit…but they have always shown up. No crashes and no having to close down the app e.t.c. So it looks like it’s the WiFi doohickey in the out building. Any ideas how to fix that? Nothing else drops out when I’m in there no browsing drop outs or zoom call crashes. As Steve said, everything else seems to find the network and never drops out. Is there a setting somewhere in the Naim app that I’ve missed? Steve - I’ve never had music stop playing or any screen freezes, the app just seems to ‘forget’ where it was if I switch to something else on the iPad.

As I think I mentioned before, if the WiFi device in your listening room doesn’t properly implement the standard protocols used by Naim for discovery, then the app can’t work properly, even though lots of other apps do. So the solution is a different WiFi device.

Chris’s suggestion if a BT mesh device is a good one but I suspect that your listening room is too far from your house for that to work. But you might be able to put one mesh device in a window in your house looking towards your listening room and another in your listening room. Otherwise it’s going to need to be a new WiFi device in your listening room.

There is one other way, which is to use an ethernet connection to your iPad instead of WiFi. This does work properly and is supported by Naim. The only person here I know who does this is @Darkebear and I expect that he would be able to say what sort of adaptor you have to use.

Best

David

Have you clicked on “ stay connected “ in the Naim app settings?
It may help

@matfff , if you do have the BT Smarthub-2, that’s the one with a round disc shape in the centre of the hub, then please talk to BT about what can be done with your property layout.
The BT black disc extenders are specifically designed to work with the Smarthub-2 (any other extenders don’t do this) and it may be that more than one disc in your specific property layout is needed.
BT have the expertise to advise on this & they are best placed to sort this for you, and that is included in the BT ‘Halo’ contract.

Thanks all. The black discs don’t work at all. They don’t even work in the house (old building, thick walls). Had to install cabling and switches in the house to get WiFi everywhere. Same WAP’s in all locations (house and all outbuildings). Nothing else drops out (t.v’s, kids computers, ‘always on’ monitoring equipment e.t.c). Just the Naim gear. Guess I’ll have to live with it. Luckily, my LP12 never drops out!

I wasn’t joking about the ethernet connected iPad option.

Best

David

I don’t accept that, the black disc’s work well.
As for thick walls, someone I know has a large old farmhouse conversion, it has thick stone walls in the old house & it works all over that & into a barn type extension used for B&B.
BT advised & moved the main hub inlet point & positioned the 3 disc’s.
As I said before, talk to them, if they agree it can’t be done, OK, but they will advise what’s needed to be done to make it work.

BT set it up originally. The WiFi dohdahs are there’s. The black discs didn’t work. However, I have found a solution! Dug out the remote control from the NDS box. Bliss! Never drops out and always ‘on’!
Does anyone know how to pair a remote to a NAC 252?

Its in the NDS manual
You need a 3.5 Jack to RCA cable to connect them.
The set up is done in the NDS settings ‘System Automation’

I have two systems with streamers from different manufacturers and have played around with a number of control apps. My favourite of them all is the Naim app. It is very stable and finds my devices almost instantly. It works well with Asset UPnP, which not all do. I also find the recently added widget very useful.

Lightning DS, the default control point for my Auralic streamer does beat it in one respect: it allows me to view booklets for a lot of albums, when streaming Qobuz. How about implementing this in the next release, Naim?

Roger

Lol, I haven’t used a cable to connect a remote since the late 70’s.