Naim app on ipad

Yes LOL, but just in case you are confuzzed, the cable joins NDS to 252.
But it does mean you need to get the app working

Oh well, I’ll just use two remotes then. The original 252 remote (grey with two green buttons) works with the 252 and the NDS remote (black with white buttons) works with the NDS. Thought I should be able to control the 252 volume with the NDS remote, but doesn’t work.
I do wish Naim would employ a few teenagers to sort out their tech!

Yes it does!!! With the NDS & 252 connected with the 3.5/RCA cable & the NDS System Automation set up, the NDS remote controls 252 volume & inputs (buttons)

I just bought my dad a QB2 for his birthday and as non tech people I downloaded the app to my mums phone and noticed the app has a very low rating in app store for the iPhone version. Will check when I put it on the iPad for them if thats the same.

I guess different people have different expectations but for me its not quite right yet on iPhone at least. IPad is always drained from the kids but will see if thats better.

Hi Steve, I have the same experience, iphone app is touch and go (freezing, losing connection, delays loading album art only 1100 CDs) ipad is more stable. VLC app is more stable, shows that the UnitiCore on ethernet is doing alright, must be that the Naim app is more sensitive to small wifi fluctuations.
I must speak BT to get the homehub 5 sorted.

I hadn’t thought of looking in the App Store ratings. You are right, 2 stars and a lot of reviews out of 342 users that exactly match my experience. If you are lucky enough (or unlucky?) to have your router/system/switch e.t.c in the same place, sounds like it works fine. If your using WiFi access points/extenders e.t.c it’s poor.

Thanks, @Mike-B and all. I too have issues frequently connecting to my wired NDX-FM and wired Qute2. The wifi Qb2 usually shows up first; then the other two disappear, then reappear after 20-30 seconds. It is good to know a solution is possible.

I have tried the sequential network restart, which sometimes improves things for a little while.

CenturyLink DSL router (office) < Asus RT-AC88u router (office; firewall and DHCP provider to my LAN) < Netgear 16-port switch (office) < Netgear 16-port switch (main) < Asus RT-AC88u #2 in access point mode, to extend wifi reach. Both switches are unmanaged, but have light management capabilities available.

NDX is wired to the main switch, Qute2 to the office switch; Qb2 probably wireless to the Asus WAP. Subnet addresses always match.

Suggestions? I have tried removing the Asus WAP as a test — no improvement. I might try turning off wifi at Asus #1 next, as #2 is most centrally located.

Thanks again, all! Nick

Hi Nick, howzit cutting around the NW, don’t tell me, it’s raining (just for a change) :wink:

I know diddlysquat about your router and the other wireless stuff, and I suspect that’s (probably) where the problem is. But maybe someone who does can chip in.

Hi Mike. Rain only started last week in any serious amount — I’ll take it any day instead of the smoke from record wildfires a few weeks ago! :mask:

I like to think I am a decent amateur network engineer most days. But simple setup mistakes and accumulated errors over long runtimes are always possible, I know. :grimacing:

1 Like

The OP said earlier that he had a wired connection to the listening room so I presume the WiFi extender and streamer were connected to that via Ethernet.

Yes indeed. But the WAP doesn’t seem to work well, at least not so far as discovery for the Naim app is concerned, so the later discussion in the thread is about whether his iPad works better on the house WiFi (it does) and how he could extend that more successfully to his listening room.

Best

David

I have a similar arrangement to mattfff and use a Ubiquiti access point plugged into the switch. This works perfectly with both iPhone and iPad so might be worth a try in place of the current WiFi arrangement. Also, you should able to control the amp volume with the streamer remote, have you enabled system automation and connected amp and streamer with the necessary cable (which costs buttons)?

Indeed, the fact that this is on a long-ish Ethernet cable to an outbuilding shouldn’t stop it from working normally. (Ethernet is good for up to 100m).

And of course it is working properly. But the WAP in the outbuilding isn’t playing properly with the Naim app…

Best

David

I mostly use the Naim app on my android phone but I do also have it on my iPad. However today I realised that my iPad app isn’t connected to my Unitilite. I added the IP address and I get a message saying no product found which is strange as I have never had any problems before.
Has anybody any ideas please?

I would try resetting the app, if that didn’t work, delete it, power off & restart the iPad & reinstall the app.

I use the app on an iPhone X and an iPad Pro, now both running ios 14. I find it works very well, is very stable, and finds my Uniti Star almost instantly.

Miles better than the Sonos app, which constantly loses track of my Sonos kit, but that’s another story . . .

I’ve sorted my problem
Thanks everyone for now, but I’m going to be posting one last time on a new thread to try and get Spotify sorted without skipping,

Ease off eh. You started out criticising the app and it’s your WiFi router/set up. Now you’re criticising Naim again without first checking if it’s something you have misunderstood.

You do need a decent Wi-Fi router. My supplier was excellent and explained the detail of why. In the end, I installed an Orbi router and satellite and the connection had been rock solid. The cheap router supplied by my ISP (and two others I tried in its place) just was not capable of serving up content properly. It seems Naim great is just more reliant on a quality WiFi service than other stuff.