Naim app update for iOS

I prefer +/- buttons to a slider too, and asked Naim a while back if it could be added along with the numerical volume level. If Roon can show it, I’m sure the Naim app can too.

2 Likes

Thanks Gert. I have forced the update through Windoes (no idea why I couldn’t see it in PlayStore when accessed from my devices).

I like the +/- buttons.

And, whisper it quietly, but on a first test the irritating keyboard popping in and out of view when searching Tidal has stopped and seems more stable.

update has solved this for me to - for me this was worst aspect of naim app so thanks to naim team for fixing it

Just spotted that searches now show non-local sources (e.g Tidal) by each result

Thanks @ChrisSU

also I’m finding room discovery on switch on is sorted (so far).
I used to have to wait while it chugged away and then it couldn’t find the room but once you refreshed it came up

It’s such a minor thing that i can’t really criticise it, but what’s with the new font? The forum now has it as well since a few days, but it’s not the font used on the website.

I preferred the old one.

1 Like

When I swipe left to see the widget all I ever see is a one of two messages:

“Unable to load app”
“Use the Naim app to see available streaming devices”

…and this is immediately after using the Naim app to start playing a Tidal track on my ND5 XS.

After a couple of days of trying, the lock screen widget has never once displayed the track being played

The widget doesn’t support the ND5 XS, as per the release notes.

Now I know what you guys are talking about. Widget? I thought you were talking about some generic icon or something floating around on the Naim app. You should have said iOS widget. :joy:

I’m trying to figure out if it helps make anything easier.

Ah - I understood the release notes to mean that not all features were supported for an ND5 XS.

In addition, I now need to logon to Tidal every time I open the app - the password is already entered, but it is annoying to have to hit enter every time.

1 Like

Same here. Bug introduced with this version…

Me too.

How does one remove a room (device)?

Sorry, but I find it hard to accept that the iOS Widget can’t control legacy streamers. My own background is electronic engineering and I now lecture in computing… I simply can’t see any obvious reason that the widget would be any different from the app’s own capabilities. So seen as the app can control the old streamers, the widget should have no problem doing so either. Even if the old streamers have a different control protocol it shouldn’t be too hard to accomodate this in the programming.

Hopefully this is just a lazy oversight but it does make me cynically wonder if marketing is calling the shots here: deny the old streamers new capabilities to ensure drive sales of the new series? Are Naim doing a “Sonos” here?

Personally I’m not too bothered about the widget. It’s a “nice to have” feature but it worries me in a more general sense.

1 Like

Hi Guys,

The legacy streamers that use the Bridgeco solution can only support 1 tcp based control connection at a time for active user interface. This means that widgets that need a tcp connection to the device will use up that connection instance, so will stuff the main app on working. It’s a historical limitation as the api goes back 9+ years and at the time it implemented a data tunnel feature to the internal host micro, so that gave this singleton connection limitation.

On newer products, multiple devices can connect at the same time and can all fight for the same resources with the necessary synchronisation and blocking applied.

Best

Steve Harris
Software Director

5 Likes

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

…and the Tidal logon?

Thanks Steve, I hadn’t realised that nuance I’ll admit. Presumably you mean if a widget on one device uses up the connection, then basically nobody else / no other device could use the app?

If you really want a widget to control volume on legacy kit a Logitech Harmony Hub is a good solution. It’s an IR blaster connected to the network.

I use it within Roon but there is a separate Logitech widget for ios.

I have moved to use Roon as my primary control on the playback stream from my Naim NDS Network player. By introducing the SonoreUPnP Bridge, the NDS just takes a UPnP stream.
This means Tidal Masters & local MQA playback is possible, Qobuz integration, playback from DSD128, DSD256 & DSD512, 24/384, 24/352.8 formats etc is all possible and not limited to the support provide by the Naim App or the Naim firmware.
As a Beta tester I provided much feedback & suggestions for the Naim App when working with 3rd party UPnP servers (I use Asset), but much of the development in the last 3 years was supporting use of the UnitiCore & metadata enrichment from this server and now the latest streaming products.
Hence my move to just use the NDS as a ‘Network Connected DAC’, a job it does very well.

1 Like