Naim App Update 👎🏻

Well, in the end you would need “market research” to settle this question on how many people want the feature. (a): how many use the feature as it is today. And especially if usage is low: b) do people think, the current feature is useful/do they wish for it to be better.)

(And I assume, this forum is not representative of all (potential) Naim customers. :wink: )

I’d gently suggest that slagging off Naim, shouting in capitals, littering your posts with exclamation marks, and now using clenched fists is unnecessary and inappropriate. Why don’t you call Naim tomorrow or write to them politely rather than going off on one? In the scheme of things it really is unimportant and you risk making yourself look foolish.

15 Likes

Fair point - just to let you know I have written twice with twice receiving an automated reply saying nothing. Later I’ve received an email saying there will be a software update (they refer to the latest one). No other explanations - that’s what I call a fobbing off - sorry

1 Like

Yes you can shuffle an album or playlist. What you can’t do is shuffle your library so that you can enjoy what it is like to go from The Carpenters: Yesterday at low level to Twisted Sister: Under The Blade at high level… should you actually want to.

That is exactly how I want it - if i am not in the mood for a particular track then I can press fast forward but it is my choice!

1 Like

@Bru Life is too short to put up with things that bother you that are within your control to change.

I’d suggest that if an email to Naim Support doesn’t give you a definite answer (sure it won’t), to sell the Core and move onto another product. This lack of feature is clearly a deal breaker for you.

There’s a very simple solution…

Use Asset as your media server (on a NAS, a PC or a Mac) and let it expose the option to shuffle tracks at the server end!

2 Likes

Thank you for your answer and clarification, feeling-zen.

That might be enough, as I have countless playlists directly made from the NAS application, although most with more than 500 tracks… :hear_no_evil:

In any case, it is another surprising thing in the Naim universe; IMHO, in addition to all the other versatility and possibilities, one of the biggest and best streamer world features is the one related to the infinte shuffle.

If I want to listen actively, I have plenty of tablet (by conviction I do not have smartphone) and even of the streamer; for me, better the usual CD, leaving aside the TT, given its continuous need for maintenance, space for the macenary vinyl records, and the format of reduced play and continuously to turn, clean and adjust…

Another versatility introduced by the streamer world is the possibility, beyond a mobile device, to control the streamer from its remote, with its pant and some buttons in its facsia; hence my choice by the NDX2 beyond the ND5 XS2, SQ apart.

I know I’m going against the current, and that most quality streamers go directly to network and app control; but, as I point out, if it comes to listening and enjoying concentrated and immersive, I think there’s plenty of mobile devices.

Call me weird, :crazy_face:

I actually wrote twice including pictures of all the other shortcomings of that App.

I think shuffle is sometimes useful. I generally pick individual tracks that I want to listen to, or listen to an album (usually the former). But sometimes I just want some music without sitting down and selecting what it is that I will listen to. Yes, a radio type of app would do that, but it will often be playing music that I’m not interested in. On those occasions I use a Logitech Squeezebox Touch on shuffle, which shuffle-plays from all my tracks. That works just fine.

How do you get that to work with, for example, an NDX controlled by the Naim App on Android?

Install Asset on the NAS and enable the Asset shuffle option.
Point Asset at the music stored on the NAS.
Start the Naim App
Select the Streamer (on the Rooms page)
Select UPnP input
Select Asset
Select the method you want to browse the music (which I understand should then include the Asset shuffle and/or dynamic list options, but note that I don’t use this or any other shuffle options!)
Select the server side dynamic list you want to play.

I believe this will use a UPnP ‘push’ to play the tracks, rather than them being ‘pulled’ by the streamer.

2 Likes

I’ve used the Asset shuffle feature to try, OK it works, but its not interesting for my listening preferences.

1 Like

Mike, I agree…

A loud burst of Bad Pollyana, followed by something from ‘The Sixteen’ or a random movement from one of Corelli’s Concerti Grossi, followed by Bat Out of Hell, followed by test track 64 (Definition Test)*, then followed by no treble and smoking tweeters! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

No thanks.

.* Test track 64 (Definition Test) is a signal changing from 0000 to 0xFFFF and back every 22.7μS!

1 Like

That’s over the top

Excellent - thanks for that. I will try it.

If I were to set my system to to randomly shuffle my whole collection it could actually happen - all those tracks are in my collection.

Quick question: will we ever get searchable radio stations with Naim? Or is this a limitation of vTuner? I use a TuneIn app on my phone which can search. Trawling through the categories on vTuner trying to find a station which doesn’t quite match a category (there’s no Prog Rock one, for instance, so you have to scroll through about 5000 stations to get to “P” in the “Rock” category. It’s bollocks, frankly.

1 Like

A global search would certainly be useful, but it doesn’t exist for other inputs, particularly UPnP, either, so I’m not too optimistic.

I wouldn’t hold my hopes up - they don’t listen to customers or are not capable to write the software for it.