Naim App Update 👎🏻

You could also shuffle play from iTunes, Apple Music, Tidal etc using AirPlay or Chromecast, so it does have this feature.

Ha! The travails of our audio and First World problems :wink:
I like to use Roon and stream it to my Naim end point. Roon picks new music for me and it’s great! I recently played the Talking Heads and once the album was over, the Cramps came on. and then the Ramones. Then Television. Then Blondie. I guess the theme was late 70’s NY bands who played at CBGB?
This isn’t quite what the OP is looking for, but it’s related.
The naim app is really solid and reliable for me. Naim pays attention to consumer feedback, but I bet that they have received insufficient requests to allocate $ to develop this feature.

3 Likes

I’ve always been able to search the whole upnp collection via the all albums or all tracks view.

I sometimes like to shuffle music but not my whole collection. There should usually be a theme of some sort for example artist, genre or even a collection of albums. What is wrong with creating a playlist to shuffle on the Naim app? I find it to be very good.
It only takes a few moments to create and title a playlist then select albums and add to the playlist.
I often do this and am not aware of the 500 track limit. Assuming an average track length of 3 minutes, this is 25 hours of music - surely that is enough for anyone.
The Naim app is very useful and let’s face it, why should Naim develop it too far and have to channel resources away from their core functionality of creating excellent hardware? The more features, the more complex the task of ensuring resolutions to problems arising - volume normalisation is an excellent example.
There are many 3rd party solutions as mentioned by others here and I personally also use Roon. This gives greater flexibility but I also really like the Naim app. I love the fact that there are letters down the right hand side to quickly access a required artist or album.
Don’t be too harsh on Naim, they really have done a good job with the app.

Really? I know there is a search function but it has never worked as far as I can tell.

• Android device 1: Crashes the instant you input one character.
  • Android device 2: input search word, hit enter, spins forever and finds nothing.
  • iOS device1: input search word, hit enter, spins forever and finds nothing.

If it works it must be highly device or UPnP server dependent.

I’ve just gone into all albums in my pop/rock category and then all tracks. It took about twenty seconds to populate with what must be at least 15,000 files and then I searched for strange town. Instantly I got this:

Well it certainly doesn’t work for some of us regardless of what device. Under the hood I don’t know if it relies on the server (I use Asset) or what but on all 3 of my devices it has never worked and a quick sanity check this evening shows it still doesn’t.

My search was using Asset.

Bloody networks…:stuck_out_tongue:

It would also be useful to have a button on the app to randomly reproduce the contents of the Nas Unitiserve and Uniti core …, :ok_hand::pray::pray::pray:

I use Minim and as per HH I searched for Cat Black on 83,000+ items

It seems that folks using a third party UPnP server to access music on their NAS are able to search without issues.

What I find somewhat odd is that those of us using Naim’s own UPnP software, in my own case an HDX acting as server / ripper, cannot do so.

Initiating “search” offers the option of “Local Music” or Tidal only, though strangely enough, the search function works fine on the nServe app as far as the music store on the HDX is concerned.

Funny old game, innit. :roll_eyes:

Ah, with a Synology NAS the Search magnifying glass on the top-right of the screen only offers Local Music - Tidal.
If I pull the screen down and release, it brings up a search box which allows me to search the NAS.

1 Like

Well done that man … and it works in both “album” and “artist” view …whale oil beef hooked. :+1:

Works for me too using Asset

The only problem with the search is that unlike Tidal, it’s not global. So you have to navigate to the correct list and load it onto the screen before you can search it, by which time it is of more limited use.

I already have Asset installed on my QNAP and use it through upnp on my SU.

Where is this “Asset shuffle” option? I seem to have missed it.

I’ve used the jukebox feature in the Naim App but that doesn’t seem to be very useful.

I can’t work out how to use the search bar. There is one that is hidden that you have to drag down, but I’ve never been able to enter text into it and I’m never sure what’s a global search or just Tidal.

In IOS, if you are in upnp album view on a UnitiCore for example, you pull the page down exposing the search box, tap in the box, the keyboard appears and you type. As you enter the letters, the search results appear in front of your eyes, reducing in number as you type in more letters…

You need to enable it through the ‘Configuration’ page.

1 Like