Naim / B&W

Hello, I’m new here and Im very pleased to be here.
I have a B&W 805D3, Rega P6 with a Marantz receiver(8015)
I want to replace the Marantz by a Naim supernait 3 in my System as amplifier.
Anyone could hear the Naim/B&W D3 sinergy?
Is enough power 80w for my B&W?
In my country is impossible try this combination…
Apologize about my English
Regards

2 Likes

I have the 90 watt Nap 300 with 802d3’s. Many people would say my system is underpowered but that’s not my experience. I think you should be ok.

3 Likes

As you can see from my profile, I run 804D2s from a NAP200. I suspect a 250 or even 300 would be (even) better, but I’ve had no problems and get a lot of enjoyment out of this system, including at high volumes.

You will find many threads on the forum discussing the concept of ‘Naim watts’ - this is a slightly facetious way of saying that Naim amplifiers that might look underpowered on paper (i.e. their rated power output looks small) regularly seem to do a remarkably good job of driving speakers that would normally need a much higher power amp. It seems that it’s not just the number of watts that matters, it’s how the amplifier uses them that counts.

Short version: don’t be put off using a Naim amp just because it looks low powered on paper.

Mark

3 Likes

805 D3’s here. They were fine with my Supernait 3.

2 Likes

I have 804D3s. They worked very well with an olive 250, but are gripped and kept tight (at higher volumes in the lower frequencies) even better with a 300DR.

Same as Nick, 804D3’s, have used with 250 DR, NC 250 and now NC350. Both 250’s were great with them, however, 350 was worth the step up.

2 Likes

Thank you!

Thank you Ebor!

2 Likes

Thank you Steve!

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum. To add to the feedback you’ve already had, I’m running 1st generation B&W804S speakers on the end of a pair of Naim 135 power amps which have a nominal power rating of 75W into 8ohms.
A few years ago when my dealer was doing a home visit (streamer demonstrations) he commented he’d never heard 800 series as well controlled by an amp.
I casually mentioned the possibility of upgrading to the 552/500 amps as his view was that there was no point, it was already sounding great.

7 Likes

:open_mouth:

Underpowered - with a NAP300… No Way… :thinking:

1 Like

Hi, I have B&W 707 S3 with Rega P3 and UNITI Nova.
For me great sound!

2 Likes

yes Supernait 3 will drive 805D3 fine… but the speakers do need some volume to come to life…that wouldn’t be the fault of the Supernait. I sold my 805S for Dynaudios and didn’t really come back to B&W after that.

1 Like

Agree that a little volume does wonders.
Or a 300DR, lol…

1 Like

there are a lot of speakers in the market, I do like 805 very much, but they are so expensive

1 Like

803d4 with 250dr and no issues

2 Likes

I have 803D3,s with a 252 and nap 300. Sounds good to me . I must admit though when the volume knob goes they do really come alive . More so than at lower levels .

2 Likes

You’re going to get varying opinions as there is the question of personal preference as well as room acoustics and system synergy. I owned an SN2 which I liked but found when paired with 805D3’s recordings varied from detailed which was acceptable to overly bright on many rock/pop recordings, which wasn’t. Moving house and into a bigger room made things worse to the point that too many listening sessions became fatiguing. Ultimately I moved away from Naim amplification to McIntosh whose balance is, like Manantz, more towards warmth and paired better with the B&W’s IMO.

I would suggest for these reasons that going out of your way to facilitate an audition is practically mandatory to avoid an expensive mistake potentially. I’d suggest taking some recordings that veer towards brightness to guage whether they float your boat or are just a step too far in the detail stakes.

Power wise, the 805D3’s do like a lot of current and are best played at a generous level to come alive. I only tripped the Naim once with a bassy live Cure tune played quite loud.

Good luck.

1 Like

That makes sense. I don’t think 805D3s are any easier to drive with proper control than my 804D3s. A 250, yes.
A 300, yes.
SN2 or Nova, probably not ideal in many situations.
All imho only.

1 Like

Thank you very much to each and every one of you who took the time to give me your point of view.
It is very useful, when there are different and even conflicting opinions, because it is clearly read that the audio, the opinions are always subjective and tied to each person’s preferences.
Again, sorry if my English is not correct enough.

2 Likes