Naim Box Aesthetics - (when) will the design change again?

Yes, I understand rejecting products because of appearance, but my incredulity was over the implication that anyone would be attracted to Naim primarily or initially due to the appearance.

1 Like

Yes I’d definitely start by listening!

How does Naim work with exterior design. Internal, external consultancy?

Well said IB. I like the look of the classic series, but for me, really, who cares. I would just as soon have all the kit in a separate spare room with long speaker cables, and just run it from the Naim App. Or have I gone too far …
So, I guess the subdued !ook of the Classic is preferable to me.

1 Like

Design is by one person Simon Matthews. He covers Naim and Focal.
https://www.naimaudio.com/connection-magazine/18481/sound-designs
https://www.focal.com/en/simon-matthews-designer

1 Like

It might make sense if their marketing research indicates there is more to be gained from new different customers with a different design philosophy than there is by keeping legacy customers.

Naim are between a rock and a hard place here. They are damned either way a bit. Whatever decision they take there will be a group that can swing either way. Then depending on the type of change, one group is likely to say, These changes aren’t for me. Naim isn’t the brand I came to love. I’m leaving.". The other group saying, “Naim aren’t delivering on the changes I want in design and box count at my price point. I’m leaving.

There will be no way to keep both groups happy and Naim know this. They have to pick one. Certainly I’ve worked at places where hard decisions were made to basically steer a product and dump an entire customer base in favour of a different more lucrative group of customers.

2 Likes

I like very much the classic and 500 series look. Gives me a confidence of building my system slowly, and with each upgrade I make in the end will result in a visual synergy of the electronics.

The unity range could change as Naim desires, the small units are very beautiful.

2 Likes

I will be adding more black boxes over the years, and I’m sincerely hoping the new ones match the current ones. I am an extremely loyal Naimite, unless they change the look to the point where nothing matches, and the current boxes have to be changed just so it doesn’t look awkward. At that point it would be disrespectful to their current customers and I would move on to another brand.
Again, it’s always more difficult to retain a customer than it is to reel in a new customer, and other than Naim confusing and/or annoying their legacy streamer customers; they’ve done a pretty good job of tailoring their products and services to customer needs over these many years.

1 Like

Not an absolute choice. There is no theoretical reason why a manufacturer can’t make two versions of each product, sticking in different box designs. At its simplest, many manufacturers offer a choice of black or silver colour, which look very different, yet is easy and no risk to sound quality (though some might suggest otherwise!). Different size/shape adds a cost to producing a second line, including considerations of different layout and case influences on sound quality, but not a ridiculous idea if there appear to be two markets of significance. And that is true even if one line is slightly compromised compared to the other, perhaps with a trade-off of smaller size, when people have the choice of best quality within lifestyle fit or a possible lifestyle compromise with best sound quality. Whether Naim would consider or do may depend on any market research they conduct, plus of course other factors like production capacity.

1 Like

That’s very true. And others do it. But…

• I don’t think Naim will.
  • And I was alluding to more than the aesthetics. The design philosophy of dedicated analogue only preamps; power supply upgrades; a desire for 500 level one box systems etc. Have large and entrenched opposing camps. Those that want Naim to stay Naim. Those that (quite frankly) don’t like naim but want the badge and want Naim to become something else. Both camps have made their wishes prettly clear on the forum. Naim are between a rock and a hard place. And at a critical fork in the road.

Pity about the awful turntable :wink:

Yeah, :grinning:

Compared to ‘some’ decks, its pretty low maintenance and great vfm (as you may know…)

pretty damn good with the Aro as well, getting it tweaked on Wednesday and a new cartridge…

1 Like

The modern Technics boxes look very similar to my first Technics receiver (20 watts per channel) in the 1980s .

And very desirable as a result

This is the receiver I had, the only difference is that there was no wooden surround, compare it today’s Technics

2 Likes

There are many, maybe even most hifi companies who kept very constant designs over decades, at least within a common design frame. Accuphase or Burmester comes to mind immediately but many others, too

I think one of the oldest constant aesthetic styles around, and stood the test of time, is Cyrus.

1 Like

It would be interesting to hear from people who had expansive systems back in the days and how they felt / dealt with the introduction of the new design around the year 2000 if i am correct.

I don’t think I agree with that. To me they look like the old car radios you were supposed to take with you as a theft deterrence device. Could not look more early '90s to my eyes.

2 Likes

Yes i’m not keen on the looks either, but there’s no denying their kit has stood the test of time, maybe their displays want updating, but the actual feel of the kit in one’s hands is as solid as they come, and doesn’t feel cheap and flimsy like a lot of similarly priced kit does, even today.

I’ll be honest…the looks of the Nova are one of the major reasons I considered it. It looks totally understated to these eyes, and very crisp. It wouldn’t have made it to the audition if it had looked naff.

4 Likes

The display thing is a bigger issue that transcends Cyrus. I recently got an Akurate DSM/3 that sounds great, but that blue LCD display is pretty poor.

Removing screens from devices is a way of preventing them from looking dated quickly, IMO.

1 Like