Naim cables - £7255 - Shock!

Does anyone who spends £7k on hifi cables tell their partner how much those wires cost? My wife would be in total shock :smile:

1 Like

Emperors clothes …

The ‘wires’ might be beautifully made and fantastic quality with great engineering, but they aren’t going to sound any better than a decent reasonably priced cable.

Unless you believe the weavers of those clothes!!!

1 Like

Just out of interest, have you actually tried SL cables at home?

3 Likes

Not likely lol.

Reminds me of Only Fools and Horses … Peckham Spring Water :grinning:

2 Likes

You need to be careful when you just say a piece of wire, capacitance, inductance, resistance and signal reflections can all affect the signal quality as well as the shielding / construction of cables from being influenced by the external environment, items such as vibration, rfi, emi etc. So far the SL cable sounds pretty good but so does the Hi Line and the standard 5 pin din to 5 pin din. The SL should in theory sound better, as to whether it is better assigned to a 500 series system or the Statement then probably but it should give benefits to the Classic range. From my listening so far I quite like the SL cable in looks, build quality and sound, does it justify the £2k cost probably not but this hobby seems to be more driven by the heart and feelings as opposed to the head. Would I pay it, maybe at a 50% discount, I have a few more days of playing to decide lol. :wink:

My first step on the slippery cables slope was powerlines. They made a definite improvement to the sound, so much so my wife actually bought me one for Christmas one year.
Next came the super lumina speaker cables (5m), no brainer
Then, RCA to DIN for my Urika to 252, my dealer couldn’t believe the improvement as it was something he had never been asked to do
Finally, Din to XLR for the 300DR to finish off
All tried at home and make a real difference to the classic series of amps
Will never go back to standard cables

2 Likes

:small_blue_diamond:Why Don’t You Answer Hungryhalibut’s Question Instead…

• ???

/Peder🤔

I think actually TRYING cables clouds your judgement…
Far better to speculate on whether they are better or not and advising others on that basis is the way to go…
Don’t you think?

6 Likes

Well, I guess if you’ve invested in such esoteric cables, it’s difficult not to be convinced that they sound better. That is a true in most things, unless you have buyers remorse.

If you really think that you CAN tell a difference and you truely believe that the extortionate cost is worth it, then I guess that’s good for you - enjoy what you have.

Just as long as you don’t hear a difference because you expect there to be one and others try to convince you that there is.

3 Likes

It’s easy to speculate on the thought processes of others, but have you actually done the comparison yourself?

Fancy cables aren’t actually necessary for balanced connections - that’s one of the advantages and long lengths aren’t problematic.

Really low quality cables and poorly assembled connectors, will inevitably be surpassed by those which are of a higher standard and properly assembled … and there are many good cables out there without having to spend crazy sums of money.

After that, it is very unlikely that there will be any differences and the law of diminishing returns always applies.

That being said, I fully respect people’s choice and decisions to buy whatever they feel is worthwhile.

Peder… I hope that satisfies your “request” that I respond to another members question

2 Likes

I’m not going to ask the question again, as clearly you are not going to answer it. I can only conclude that your points are merely speculation and therefore as useful as a chocolate teapot.

2 Likes

Actually I did …:grinning:

Come on Frog – please give us a break. Not the most productive discussion you are promoting here… Or we might send over @frenchrooster for supper – cuisses de grenouilles, yummy… :rofl: [Just kidding, of course.]

2 Likes

:grinning:

Add an invite to a no Naim someone who can bring a can of stromming.

Absolutely, best upgrade to my still relatively modest system was/is a dedicated consumer unit with separate radials powering each component seperately.

:+1:

2 Likes

Just browsing this thread and if I may chip in and perhaps contribute an answer to @anon4489532 vs @Mr.Frog
I find myself in agreement mostly with Mr Frog. No I haven’t listened to SL in my system, the cost in that context would be ridiculous.
I have however attended a Statement demo event at a hotel in Brighton. My partner and I were sat in the worst position at the back of the room, but even in that situation we undoubtedly heard the biggest improvements when SL was introduced to the system. The improvement was much greater than each step up in system component up to and including the ultimate Statement system.
That said, as music lovers first and foremost, it all came across to us as a bit elitist and very little to do with music.

1 Like

I suppose that it’s inevitable that when reps are demonstrating hi fi systems that cost 50,000 . . . . 75,000 . . . 100,000 (quid, dollars), the experience seems “elitist.” Because frankly, who can afford such systems? Mostly “the elite” (whatever that means).

I submit that it’s not that it has little to do with music, but that the ratio of how much it has to do with music to how much it has to do with the hardware obviously skews to the latter when one is spending 50, 75, 100K on a system. You’d hardly expect such customers to not be interested in the hardware upon which they are spending that much.

3 Likes