Naim Chrome Bumper

Graham – again, I don’t know about the LED colour. I bought the NAT 01 / NAPST second-hand for £600. I thought the tuner was first produced after the change to green LEDs…. This is how it came to me:

Definitely in need of some TLC…

Yes, the mythical AM head unit… apparently, the ‘AUX’ input was for a putative TV tuner! So glad to have a NAPST with the selector switch: makes it a little bit ‘special’, IMO…

5 Likes

Lovely setup. Cool looking Marantz receiver too !

1 Like

Who is the picture of behind the listening chair?

My understanding was that the DR mod could not be applied to older units, such as a 1985 CB HiCap…? I am pretty sure Salisbury certainly did not offer this.

@Richard.Dane - ?

The good news is that Naim can still service them…

I got my NAT-01/NAPST back fro servicing last week. It had developed a nasty habit of de-tuning itself from FM stations (if that makes any sort of sense), so it’s good to have it on its best behaviour again.

I tried for years to track down an XPS-T (an XPS re-purposed to provide a heftier power supply to the head unit), but never found one. I gather that only a few were ever produced.

(I remember musing on this Forum what I could do with the NA-PST power supply, and Mr Meredith of this parish very helpfully suggested that it would make a very good doorstop!)

1 Like

Tim, would you ever consider changing those ‘tractor wheel’ dials for a more ‘modern’ look? I never liked them, but not everyone has the same taste - thank goodness!

Naim themselves would not DR older CB or Olive kit, however, that didn’t stop one or two distributors applying DR update kits to older kit such as the HICAP and Supercap.

1 Like

Graham – No, never!!! I love the Chrome-bumper aesthetic! In fact, I’m looking into having some replacements knobs machined from aluminium, then anodised… a friend in Austria knows a company that can do this: he had a set made up, and they look absolutely fantastic… although that will mean twelve knobs, and that ain’t gonna be cheap…

A more modern look…?

It is the “more modern look…” that is ruining much of western society.

2 Likes

Well, tastes differ, and the world is a better place for that!

If you’re after proper tractor wheels for the controls, you should probably go for a steel casting, rather than mess around with aluminium!

Thought I would post a picture of my much loved Nait 2 CB partnered with DAVE, Nait is now in the main setup for a few weeks until the Nait 50 arrives.

DAVE set at -11db (about 1v) is perfect for the Nait 2 with no imbalance, sounds sublime detailed with a lovely deep bass (bass from a Nait 2 :grin:) I could easily live with this setup…

15 Likes

with a grippy rubber tread…

I have both lovely Nait 1 and CB Nait 2 in separated setup but am still tempted by the Nait 50. Let see how much its local price is going to be.

15 Likes

Well don’t wait too long, it is a limited edition and is likely to sell out quickly - if it has not done so already.

1 Like

Thank you Graham. The dealer has not set a final price yet. I only can put myself in the interested list.

Posting here because the NAT 01 thread has closed. My impression of the VFD display is that it’s quite dim (I’d say that it looks dimmer in real life than in the photo). Was this a decision by Naim to prolong the life, given that a lot of people leave them on permanently (I don’t)?

The same Futaba VFD display in the Fisher tuner that I bought (just to have a spare display) is like starting at the sun, in comparison:

Bandit you know you need one to go with those beautiful early Naits. :grin:

2 Likes

Haha yeah, I think so.

Ha thanks! It’s a humble little setup I’m just glad I have a extra bedroom in our new place to set stuff up the way I like.

1 Like

Graham55 I’ve had the CB Nait 2 for about 20 years now, don’t think I’ll ever give it up. The Eames is only a repro but still comfy. While they look cool they are a little hard to get in and out of to change the record over. Maybe better suited to a streaming setup lol. Or younger knees… :wink: