Naim Chrome Bumper

Really nice!

1 Like

Thanks @Guibo. Had a CB250 before these. Sounds sublime. Would love a 4 or 6 pack one day! How is your system sounding with 4 x 135s?

The 250 is a good pre-amp, i use one in my leaving room (with SBL), especially to control HF, this never go to throbbing treble, even with high volume.
About the 4 packs of course this sound very good, this is really fast presentation with a lot of control and good LF. I use a mix of Olive and CB, and i never did a comparison between them, as i used them only in active, and the Olive which are bigger transformer (Nuvomtem 600VA), are on the tweeters as Naim recommend to put more powerfull amp on tweeters. On SBL this is really good. One of my friend will came this week with a 300DR and a 250DR, so we will probably able to do a direct comparison between 135 VS latest Black high end series, could be interesting :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Let me know how you get on. The 135s vs 300DR is a worthwhile comparison. I have 2 135s which are run as one per channel. I noticed an improvement in power running them as monoblocks. I found that the CB250 would cut out occasionally when played at loud volumes for sustained periods. I no longer have this problem with the 135s.

The sound is virtually identical to the 250 albeit a slightly cleaner presentation IMO.

3 Likes

Looks good Dan, would look great with Silver Fraim uprights though. :sunglasses::+1:t5:

6 Likes

Thanks @RackKit. Rest of system is mix of olive and black boxes so prefer the black uprights overall !

1 Like

Ah, I see. Canā€™t remember whoā€™s Chrome Bumper system I saw on here with Fraim silver uprights but it looked really nice.

Today i received a completly broken NAC42 ā€¦ The delivery was not good at all, it breaks the two knobs in perfect condition, what a shame !!!
Finding replacement will be very expensive (its around 55GBP per piece), so only the aluminium case will be usable at the endā€¦

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

That looks awful. Iā€™d suspect that the delivery was about normal but perhaps the packing hadnā€™t been well enough done. My rules for packing anything for a courier is that it should be able to survive perfectly intact even if thrown down the stairs.

3 Likes

Yes the packing was not good at all.
I always use the official ā€œT foamā€ wich add a lot of space around the boxes when i send any Naim boxes, this was clearly not the case, only paper ā€¦ which doesnt work at allā€¦ but this is also due to the fact that the just trhough packages in the truck without any precautionā€¦
Final result is that they just detroyed a perfect NAC42ā€¦ which is not cool.

Finally the test was not done this week, postponed, not enough time as we had done some comparison between lot of NAP. This will be done later.

Paper is actually very good, but it has to be used tightly scrunched up and has to be packed out densely with the stuff. particularly in the corners. Of course, it helps if itā€™s used together with bubble wrap, wrapped around the actual contents itself. I take it the NAC wasnā€™t given any protection at all here.

1 Like

yeahā€¦ sadlyā€¦
Finally i had done some negociation with the vendor, and i will pay only 70ā‚¬ for it, which is not so expensive for a CB box, even if i originally bought it to get some spare knobs ā€¦

1 Like

Thatā€™s the worse packing Iā€™ve ever seen in my whole entire life, it is so sad for me to see that poor nac42 in that condition. If I were you, I would have been so pissed off and called the dude who sent it.

Anyways, I hope you can fix the knobs and bring it back to itā€™s former glory.

1 Like

I donā€™t know the circumstances in which that 42 became so decimated. but Iā€™m confident that at Naim HQ we could return it to near perfect.

We have the knobs, volume/select, balance & the toggle switch. Even if the volume pot and/or select switch are electrically damaged, we can currently replace.

Please donā€™t allow it to die!

Regards
Neil.

25 Likes

New to the forum. Here is my modest chrome bumper setup purchased new about 32 years ago.

61 Likes

Not modest. :grinning:

1 Like

That looks kick-ass :+1:

1 Like

Looks wonderful to me!