Naim Chrome Bumper

Not modest at all. A true classic.

1 Like

Not sure how to handle this. I got wall mounted ATCs with this type of situation in mind but I did not anticipate him being able to get at the components so easily. He loves messing with the colored buttons on the Qutest and the power switch on the 250

6 Likes

That would elicit ā€œSternā€ words in my house. My kids are a bit older now but they soon learned not to go anywhere near the HiFi. The oldest now has her own Rega RP1 and Brio amp in the front lounge with my old IBLs. Strangely enough she always seems to play her records on my LP12 though :thinking:

1 Like

My youngest broke the stylus on my Thorens TD160 (forget the cartridge) and snapped the fingerlift off the headshell of some ADC arm (I think). He also posted biscuits into the tape deck and video.

The hifi got moved up out of his reachā€¦

Heā€™s fine now with my stuff. Apart from the vodka and bourbon. (Heā€™s 28).

3 Likes

Naturally, he broke the hicap last night by repeatedly turning it on and off when I was not in the room. The power switch is broken and it wonā€™t turn on.

I have reverted to a Nait3R until the hicap gets repaired. He can fiddle with it but at least he canā€™t turn it on and off.

I probably have to stow the CB system away until heā€™s old enough to understand how to use it. Itā€™s too bad. The CB system sounded phenomenal with the ATCs and Apollo/Qutest. The Nait can drive the ATCs well enough to be enjoyable but obviously has nowhere near the control and groove of a 32.5/hicap/250.

I ask you - is there anything more tragic than a classic system that canā€™t be listened to?

13 Likes

A very tidy setup there. Why not see if you can pickup a SNAPS in the meantime. I prefer my serviced CB SNAPS to serviced CB Hicap - with 32.5 and 250. More agile and better timing even if it doesnā€™t do some of the hifi stuff as well - i.e. treble is not so refined. Just a thought. They are only about Ā£200 as I recall. Iā€™ve not heard the bolt down version so canā€™t comment on that. Of course, it wonā€™t look quite so good if you prioritise cable dressing since the shallower case will need to sit further back.

You like your F1 too by the looks of it.

1 Like

Thanks. You know, I have never heard a SNAPS or had considered it. Can they be used with a 32.5?

Yes Indeed. As itā€™s normally single-rail (DC power via DIN4), you just need to have the 5pin link plug fitted in the NAC32.5. Then take signal out of the SNAPS just as you would with the HICAP to the NAP250.

The later SNAPS (and SNAPS paired with NAT101 head units) even came with a big tractor wheel on/off knob, so from the front looks just like a HICAP, but with a shallower depth to the rear of the case.

Interesting! Thanks Richard

Only thing you need to be careful of with the SNAPS is that because they were relatively inexpensive to buy secondhand compared to the HICAP, many have been DIY bodged or had unofficial mods done inside.

1 Like

Didnā€™t know that. Mine was Class A serviced a couple of years earlier so a safe bet and not much over Ā£200 IIRC.

Also, I seem to recall the SNAPS that comes with a tuner is not the same and cannot be used with a preamp.

You can use a tuner SNAPS with a pre-map, no problem. Only possible issue is that the trim pots should ideally be checked to ensure 24V as they may be trimmed slightly on way or another to match the tuner.

Thanks Richard. Perhaps Iā€™m thinking of a SNAPS for SNAXO or is that fine too?

Theyā€™re all basically fine, but be careful of any that have been adjusted for use on the Walkman Pro as they will definitely need trim adjustment to work with any other Naim kit on that supply.

1 Like

Never heard of the Walkman option before - was that an official offering?

Yes, the trim pots allowed the voltage to be dropped enough on one of the supplies to power a Walkman Pro. A nice upgrade, so Iā€™ve been told.

Thanks Richard.

In the '90s when we bought our current house I two doors built into one corner. It looks like a cupboard but was designed so the doors can fully open. Inside this I have my HiFi. This was to protect my electronics from: The cats; and, the children.

Both got regularly shouted at ā€¦and still do!

@snarfy
Oh dear thatā€™s a real shame ā€¦especially with this lockdown in force, at least you have a back-up to use, Iā€™d be climbing the wall with NO tunesā€¦what a thought !! Thankfully my little darlings have long since flown the nest ā€¦!

V_R