Naim Chrome Bumper

Yes this is THE thread for you, Lewis!

Your Instagram is a bit quiet nowadays (as is mine), always loved the pics there - the CB boxes and parts, the LP12 and the various lovely Tannoys (and of course the Habitat cabinet).

Maurice

Which is older; gold logo or white logo chrome bumper.
I have a gold logo NAT101 in daily use.

It is my understanding that the plastic output transistors were used in the NAP 140 for only a short time.

@rockingdoc Neither, the gold is discolouration and was more prominent in models from certain years. I want to say 87/88 but I could be wrong! @Richard.Dane would probably know though!

The ā€œgoldā€ is discolouration where the silvery White printing on the polycarbonate turned gold with age. IIRC this afflicted kit from some time in 1985 and 1986, possibly into 1987. Of course, to confuse things many have since had replacement fascias fitted at service timeā€¦

1 Like

After many years of searching I have finally managed to purchase a Nait 2 CB. In two weeks itā€™s scheduled for a service at Class A but at the moment its sounding mighty fine.

23 Likes

Congratulations!

Sending it to Class A is the right move, you will be amazed when it returns (after a good week burn-in again)

ps: Looks good with the Unitiqute. Iā€™m a fan of the genuine Naim interconnect and can recommend the rca>din version between them.

Maurice

1 Like

Yes, congrats.

It looks tidy too.

1 Like

Cheers guys.

Using a Flashback 2x Phono/RCA Plugs 5 Pin
DIN Plug Premiere Cable between the UQ2 and Nait, ordered the cable on Sunday, Dave at Flashback responded and made up the cable same day (Sunday) I received the cable Tuesday, howā€™s that for service.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s good too :grin: Enjoy!

1 Like

That is a lovely minimalist setup.

1 Like

A thumbs up from me also about Dave at Flashback. I contacted him out of hours and got a quick reply. I subsequently ordered a cable from him to collect my headphone amp which was made up and delivered promptly.

2 Likes

I miss running my Nait 2 into Allaes. Congratulations on the acquisition.

3 Likes

That looks mint. Enjoy it!

1 Like

Super service.

My NAC62/NAP140 Olive were delivered today and luckily so were the cables I bought at midnight on Sunday night from Flashback (Din to Rca Pair and a DIN to stereo mini jack for my Chromecast Audio).

Quick delivery and good quality.

4 Likes

But how does it sound?

Squeeze in a Chord Mojo between the Chrome Cast Audio and the Nac, via a mini-toslink to toslink cable. Thatā€™s much better.

Ref. to the ā€˜how to cure upgraditisā€™ topic.

1 Like

I think the Chord Mojo will massively increase the cost of the Chromecast on this my second system :+1::rofl:

I have an AudioQuest Dragonfly setup on my main system and that works great as I use Tidal and it unfolds MQA etc.

I have it more as an option as I barely listen to streaming except on headphones.

Not set it up or even got it unpacked as still working but soon hopefully :+1:. Plugs for my speaker cable also due in the next hour or so (my previous amp I used bare ends on the cable both ways).

1 Like

Ah, thats what I use at the moment too. The Mojo is in the main system, and the DragonFly is plugged in into my rPi next to me hiding somewhere in the house on safe distance of jumping kids.

Good luck with the soldering of the cables! Reminds me that I need to start a topic on good soldering irons, I am hugely frustrated about soldering irons.

1 Like

Should not be too bad - have a soldering Station thatā€™s decent and I soldering plugs to my existing (buried) QED speaker cable (which based on lengths etc just about meets Naims overall Inductance!). Will run that until I work out what I want to do cable wise (I have NAC A5 on my main system but thatā€™s way to bulky and inflexible for the room I need this set up in).

Nac A4 or Linn K20 is brilliant with olive stuff. GBP 5-6 per metre and does 90% or Nac A5.

By the way, given your name ā€˜Musicianandteacherā€™, in what direction is that?

1 Like