Naim Chrome Bumper

Earlier this year I had a 32 with SNAPS and a 32.5 with Hicap, all fully serviced at Class A, and in the context of my system at the time, using an unserviced but good 110, or serviced 250 and 160, I could tell no difference between the preamps.

3 Likes

Yes, I’ve had (or have) a NAC32(BD), NAC32.5 x3, NAC42 x2, NAC42.5 x3, NAC62(CB) x 2. I’ve had one real duffer - a NAC32.5, that didn’t improve much even after a service. It was very sweet, but too soft. Some might like it. And I’ve also had a couple of stand-outs; a NAC42.5 and a NAC62 that really seemed a cut above the rest (still have them both) and a late NAC32.5 with NA329 time align boards that I have also kept.

Unfortunately, it’s impossible to give blanket recommendations as with so much time and use gone by, it really is a case of picking the best sounding example you can fine.

Just be aware that there was a noticeable shift when the boards changed from the “artwork” type to the later tracks. The former can be a bit softer and less precise (I wouldn’t go so far as to say wooly).

6 Likes

Thanks Richard - wow, you’ve had some kit pass your way. Interesting point about occassional stand out item.

I have gone back to naim AV2, 32.5/Supercap (which I sanded as it was ‘olive’ !), so quite a lot of chrome now…!

15 Likes

That really is a wonderful looking system and room. Nice rack too.

What are the 3 wooden boxes - some sort of active crossover?

Murmer, hi

Thanks for your kind comments, its the back of the Cinema room, the boxes are separate sub amps, I have three Sonus Faber Cremaona Subs and bypassed the internal amps with more flexible (no inbuilt 20 Hz filter) and more powerful amps that have massive toroidal transformers in keeping with the 135’s. I made the boxes out of oak veneered ply. They work very well indeed and add a good deal of grip, control and weight to the already pretty good bass ! - They are EQ’d down to 17 Hz

4 Likes

@Richard.Dane, if you or anyone has pics of each type to illustrate, that would be super.

I’ll see what i can find, however, it’s easy to tell as the earlier “artwork” board tracks are more swirly and curved in style and the PCBs are usually paler/lighter in colour too.

1 Like

Here’s an example of some early "artwork’ daughter boards from an early NAC32 - here shown in a later NAC32 alongside a pair of later daughter boards in their midst for comparison.

IMG_20190106_165049

10 Likes

Been playing with serviced and unserviced cards in the 32.5 this week - all same version except 322 phono boards. Whilst the musical timing of the bass is a little better on unserviced, I do prefer the serviced cards overall - more musically coherent, tuneful and enjoyable overall. Unserviced can get a bit tiresome / annoying after a while. However, quite a nice compromise has been unserviced 322 MM cards with the rest all serviced which I will stick with. Mind you, the serviced are /1 and the unserviced are /4 so not like for like.

2 Likes

Thanks Richard. I found some nice pics of a NAC32 with the artwork-style main pcb.

7 Likes

the NAP250 / NAC62 / HICAP that I had bought but never connected because they are too old and I was afraid that the speakers could do damage have finally returned from service.
I have the Harbeth P3ESR ​​driven with the nait2 but I was looking for a speaker more suitable for him as I complained of a lack at the bottom.
Since connecting the 250/62 / HC it seems to me that I have changed speakers, the bass is present more than I thought, deep and controlled at the same time, the crystal clear highs. MY dealer told me that in a month they will still improve so I don’t dare to imagine what will come out

5 Likes

Another thing I like a lot is the low volume listening, which I really liked with the NAIT2.
It reminds me a lot of a tube integrated amplifier that I loved until it left me, the audio innovations 500.

1 Like

Nait 1 and 2 are particularly good at low volume listening.

4 Likes

At the risk of veering slightly off topic, I’ve found the AT VM95C stylus works really well with vintage Linn LP12 and speakers (Kans, Briks) and Naim CB amps. The VM95E is also very good, being slightly more tuneful and better defined, although it can occassionally sound a bit “shrill” in the upper midrange (I think Briks/Kans can be prone to this).

The 95C has the best timing though, perhaps cos it’s conical - just a guess. Neither are as musical as a decent K9 but they are few and far between these days, plus the VMs have much more refined treble.

I’ve also got the NE and ML but find they get progressively more boring the more you spend, albiet with greater clarity with each step up.

I always liked the K9 in the early days into a Nait 1. I still have a K9 in storage and might get it on my LP12 at some stage and re visit into my Nait 1 to use with my Linn Kabers.

3 Likes

Yeah, they are just perfect together as the K9 is quite full sounding too. If Linn still made the K9 (or K18) then it would be a no brainer for me. Just a shame they don’t :frowning:

At £17.50 for the 95C stylus, maybe you could save up your pocket money in time for xmas :wink: 30-hours run in but I think you’d get the timing right off the bat.

1 Like

47 Likes

That is seriously cool! The framed art too :smiley:

2 Likes

Thank you! Artwork are from swissted.

1 Like