Naim Chrome Bumper

At further risk of veering off topic;
This reminds me of when (as a slightly mad stopgap / experiment) I stuck a Rega Carbon on my RB1000 / Valhalla Cirkus LP12, playing into 102/250 Gale 401. Surprisingly it timed really nicely and wasn’t as rough around the edges as I’d expected. All in all quite ‘musical’ and I could have lived with it except for the obvious inner groove distortion and the nagging thoughts of it damaging the grooves when things got a bit too busy for it to handle. After lots of reading and asking around, a 2M Bronze was tried next and it eclipsed the Carbon so completely it felt like I’d moved to high end MC cart.

2 Likes

Hi damn2k

The little stand for LP stacking - what make is that and where did you get it ?

I like the simplicity

Thanks

Bevan

MC DAISON L60 Mobile scaffale…

Great looking setup!

If using MC then you might find you’re getting some hum from that Hicap sat on the preamp.

Yes lovely setup indeed, but even if there’s no hum those amps will be underperforming significantly stacked like that. Could easily be proved by temporarily losing the record stack and relocating the Hicap to the RHS of the power amp. That would keep the 2 big transformers at maximum distance from the preamp without resorting to breaking up the pleasing look.

2 Likes

I thought so, but I have a Flashback Snaic5 too short (55cm) which does not allow me to move the HC to the right of the NAP250.
I was thinking of opening the HICAP and gluing a layer of adhesive copper to the inside of the case to shield the transformer, what do you think?

You are in breech of the terms of this website, by discussing this.

Its also pointless - as the case is Aluminium…

1 Like

Not to mention the fake “SNAIC”… (also a breach of forum AUP, for obvious reasons).

I would definitely look to change this for a real Naim one.

p.s. Also, please don’t post links here in the Hifi corner to commercial sites. Thanks.

1 Like

I apologize, it was not my intention to break the forum rules.
I am already looking for a genuine snaic5

3 Likes

Question to all you afficionados:
which pre is supposedly better/best, 62 or 32.5? And why?

I would go with the 32.5 as it is more adaptable/upgradable with the daughter boards (some Naim and non-Naim). But it depends on the quality of the individual box as one 32.5 can vary greatly from another and same for the 62.

But you might be ruled by aesthetics…

2 Likes

I totally like the black piece

2 Likes

What about differences in terms of sound? It will be for a second system in a small office, probably partnered with a 110. Source will be a streamer of some kind (a node 2i for example). Thanks.

1 Like

The 32 & 42 were contemporary. Then came the 32.5 and the 42.5. Then the 62 replaced the 42.5. Then the 72 replaced the 32.5. AFAIK…

Which is best…? Well, they are all good. Probably more down to the actual sample and/or its service status… :astonished:

(I have owned a 42, a 42.5 and two 72’s - one early, one late… I still have the late 72…)

1 Like

Do I need a Snaic5 180 or 240 degree?

As far as I am aware, all SNAICs are 240.

What IanRobertM said. I have a 32.5/110 in my main system. It’s lovely.

1 Like

I found this one, is a genuine grey snaic 5 180 degree

SNAIC’s can be 4 pin or 5 pin. 5 pin is 270 degrees - and is used to connect a HiCap, or similar… :smile:

A 180 degree 5 pin DIN is used for signals - say between a CD player and a Pre.

That looks like a (genuine) grey Naim Interconnect, but not a SNAIC…

SNAIC are used (mostly) between Pre’s and Power’s and/or Power supplies…
They carry 24V DC power - as well as the audio signals…
Hence why they should not be messed with, or substituted… :expressionless:

2 Likes