Naim Chrome Bumper

Amen.

1 Like

16 Likes

Love my Nait 1 and Nait 2 that arrived via yourself Lewis a few years ago now

I prefer ever so slightly the Nait 2 SQ, and goodness me what superb condition they are in

But if more ā€œgruntā€ is required one canā€™t go past the classic combo of 32,5/hicap/250, it still astounds me to this day

3 Likes

Sorry I tend to repeat myself :slight_smile: here is my recently serviced chrome bumpers from 1985

5 Likes

I finally got hold of some NACA4, complete with Naim plugs, to compare against K20. Just as a friend described, the A4 gives you more top end and tighter bottom end compared to the Linn csble. It sounds better balanced with my vintage system, comprising pre-Cirkus LP12/Lingo/Ekos/GR Troika, 32.5/CB160, and late Kan 1s. However, its not carrying a tune so well and is making slightly less sense of the music. Knowing me, Iā€™ll stick with the k20 but Iā€™ll live with it for a while.

The A4 is 10m and K20 is 5m so I will probably ask my dealer to make up two runs of 5m and compare again.

3 Likes

Linn K20 is the same as NACA4. :thinking::grin:

Seeing as this thread has been bumped, thought Iā€™d share a rarity that came in for a service the other day - a genuine from the factory dual rail SNAPS, a SNAPS DR. Complete with bespoke transformer.
Never been seen before by our longest standing employee!
The owner of this has something really special:

It was partnered with a NAC12, modified by Naim for dual rail & a NAP250 bolt down.
Now all serviced & fit for many years to come! (Hopefully).

Regards
Neil.

16 Likes

Thatā€™s interesting. It looks like the transformer has two independent secondary windings (as per HiCap) , but differs in that the two 0V grounds donā€™t appear to be joined in the power supply. Also the sockets have no signal jumpers, so the power amp must have been connected directly to the preamp, not via the SNAPS. Ahem ā€¦ Iā€™d better stop now :wink:

2 Likes

I think the wire is the same but not the sheath.

Iā€™ll get one of the 5m runs made up with the same solder and connectors I use on the k20 and compare again.

Correct on all points - all the ground connections to the daughter boards are connected by huge (4mm CSA)? directly to the SNAPS in the hope that they would reference the PSU.

Not ideal, but a compromise that seems to work ok when given a listening test of the complete system.

Regards
Neil.

1 Like

Itā€™s a different colour but itā€™s the same cable as A4. Made by BICC.

1 Like

Perhaps Linn have changed the recipe slightly over the years. My K20 is just a couple of years old and certainly stiffer than the A4. Also, my dealer said there was a change made this year but he didnā€™t know if it sounded any different. Mine pre-dates the latest version but seems things may have changed a bit over the decades. I do need to rule out the connectors though.

1 Like

Couldnā€™t find this earlier but thought Julian had said they were different although he says the K20 is even softer, which is the opposite todayā€¦

2 Likes

I believe that Naim sued BICC. Mr Naim aka @Richard.Dane Iā€™m sure will know.

My old dealer knew that K20 was the same as A4 but cheaper. :slightly_smiling_face:
The only A4 I have ever had was on the crossovers of my Credits, I moved to A5 from K20.

1 Like

Added some more pictures of chrome bumper.

23 Likes

Sensational Bandit

Lingo 4 I see I believe ?

What cartridge are you using ?

Cheers

2 Likes

Thank you very much Bevo - yes, it is Lingo 4. The cartridge is Linn Akiva. They sound great via NA323K boards in the NAC 32.5. Theyā€™re much better than I expected compared to an external pre phono Iā€™s using.

3 Likes

Well thatā€™s good to know Bandit

I have a LP12 with Linn Aditk cartridge and lingo 4 with 32.5/hicap/250 CB

Was thinking of changing to MC cartridge and just using MC boards in 32.5 rather than external phono , Naim dealer says it will be fine with not much difference to an external stageline if at all

Love the CB stuff

Cheers

4 Likes

Fantastic to see that Neil. I knew such a thing existed but had never seen one before. Could you post a couple of pics of the NAC12, particularly the rear sockets?

1 Like

As JV wrote in the old forum post referenced above, the Linn cable was very similar to the NACA4 but not identical due to a slightly different insulation.

He went on to say that the settlement from BICC funded the development of the improved NACA5.

3 Likes