Naim Chrome Bumper

Oooh… a SNAPS DR! Who’d a thunk it…? Yes, I know, Dual-Rail, not Discrete-Regulator. I actually have one of these. Naim modded it for me in the early 2000s to work with a pair of NAP 135s…

Chaps, thinking about a similar age source for my CB pair of nait 2 and 32.5/250/hicap. Which cassette decks would be suitable?

2 Likes

Nakamichi, of course. At least something like a nice BX300. Better still a 582, 682, ZX7 or ZX9 or Dragon perhaps.

1 Like

Ah, I see. Will investigate further, I have a 1991 Sony TC-K870es but this looks abit too modern. Will look at the models suggested but I think a Dragon might be a bit of a stretch for the old budget :wink: many thanks!

I wasn’t wild about the TCK870ES - it seemed to promise more than it actually delivered in sound performance. Same with the TCK700ES I also I had. My BX300 was a lot more enjoyable.

1 Like

Thanks Richard, interesting to hear your thoughts. maybe not the ultimate in SQ but it’s a fun deck to learn how to make a proper recording and generally mess about with hifi :grin:

1 Like

Problem is it’s getting more and more difficult to find a reputable place to service them since the sad demise of B&W.

Great score! I saw the listing and was deterred by the golding. I assumed a new fascia would be impossible to come by.

I see your gold box and raise you one…

Sold mine this week after 32 years in the family [sniff]

15 Likes

Wow, the silver has turned almost orange with those! I reckon it looks rather good like that and it shows that these two have definitely remained a pair throughout their lives.

3 Likes

I always lusted after a Neal cassette deck.
No idea how often these comes up or if anybody can service them.?

You see them around from time to time.

I have a Neal 103 with the Wollensak mechanism. It still performs surprisingly well. Back in the day Stereo magazine in Germany did a 3 way test comparison between the Neal 103, the Nakamichi 500 and the Pioneer CT-F9191 and the Neal basically came out on top.

1 Like

Richard is there any gear you have NOT owned?? The depth of your collection has got to be unsurpassed!

2 Likes

Plenty has been through my hands. I’m trying hard not to take on more bits these days (not so successfully), but every now and then someone local gets in touch to tell me they’re looking to get rid of something they’ve had for years but not using any more or they’re about to take something to the recycling centre but would I be interested in it. I find some kit really hard to resist - especially if it’s been owned form new and still with the box and all the bits (a sure sign of careful ownership) and there was once a time when cassette tape players and reel to reels were seen as worthless and were unceremoniously dumped, so I felt it my duty to save them.

11 Likes

I understand completely! It must be difficult to resist especially when people are finding you.

If you find a decent condition chrome bumper SNAPS you know where to find some end users :smiley:

1 Like

True, but that would be in direct violation of forum rules…

1 Like

It did spring to mind and no intentions of violating those, but you have to agree that it is a great shame that there is possibly alot of great kit out there to be had and difficulty to reach out to people that are not selling it

There are a number of hifi sites on the internet, some international if you wanted to buy from Europe. German sites often have Naim kit including CB items.

1 Like

Hi. Yes I know of some of them and of course possibly I’m speculating (Maybe not because my CBs were in the cupboard for nearly 20 years ) that there is alot out there that can be passed on for others to enjoy. Would also bring in alot more business for the service departments…just a thought