Naim during the Coronavirus

One of these with the guts ripped out, a microphone installed to drive the decibel meters. Don’t connect it to the hifi just have it on the rack or table, or in the fireplace, and watch those needles dance to the music. :wink:

no worries @Richard.Dane

am used to ideas being resisted or debated and ultimately to meet their maker - ie returned to me :wink:

Couple of thoughts on performance - there need not be a compromise on the Naim sound at all and therefore no compromise on performance

If you see Yamaha / Technics etc… are reviving the vintage look and charging a hefty premium for it.

Certainly Yamaha or other reputable brands have performance on their mind too but there is another market that will likely open up

performance + aesthetics
reduced box count ( maybe 1 TT + 1 or 2 phono + 1 Amp + 1 streamer + 1 CD player ) to cover all formats - max 5 boxes
reduced expenditure - relatively speaking

Regarding adding nothing to the sound - its a fact that nobody knows what the artist intended for us to hear - we are all in a sense blind men / women drawing the elephant’s tail and conversely when one does not know what was the original studio sound in the first place there cannot be a debate on adding or subtracting… IMO

There is a difference between what sound one likes and what the artist intended and these 2 need not necessarily converge.

Tone controls may be looked down at - but we can have a Tone defeat too and for those whose rooms demand a bit of tweakery to the sound - why not have a provision ?

Looking 6 months to 1 year ahead - one needs to identify the SWOT of the brand and try and come to terms with market moods.

I am in no way arguing - but view this a a conversation - maybe we have been down this road before but that time market conditions were significantly better.

Nobody expected the new SN - SN3 with a good phono stage and i would argue that there needs to be 2 phonos for the TT freaks… :grinning:

Turntables sound can be flavored with just a change in cart or tonearm or even the tonearm to amplifier rca connections…

I see a few Naim staff on this thread so i thought of putting my thoughts in - however flawed they might sound…

ideas are meant to be set free and debated…

Thats how the community / tribe… will remain vibrant and pollinated with different seeds and not straight jacketed always.

PS ; Yes - its all up to Naim in the end… we all realize that.

best wishes

And they are indeed catered for with the XS3 and SN3 - not only do you have the internal MM phono stage, but you also have a powered AUX2 input socket for a Prefix, Stageline or Superline. So you could have two phono stages, but MC is usually best dealt with well away from big transformers, so makes good sense.

Indeed, your view is just as important as anybody elses here.

2 Likes

Sure you could add tone controls, so long as you add a defeat/bypass switch. And add VU meters too, so long as there’s a bypass switch for those too and the ability to turn off the illumination. Now we’re back where we started except I suspect you’ve alienated many, if not most of Naim Audio’s customer base.

I don’t think discussion of what new products we might wish to see was the intent of this thread.

my ramblings were meant as food for thought since we have some Naim staff online and strangely CV-19 is giving all of us incl Naim staff i am sure some more time to pause and think.

never meant to derail this thread

apologies to those who feel this is going off track.

No problem mpw, but if you want to start a new thread that’s probably best. That way we can keep this thread for Charlie to communicate what’s happening with Naim during the Coronavirus pandemic.

1 Like

thanks richard

i have nothing further to add and apologies to Charlie for my tangential thoughts…

No apologies needed! Always enjoy a ‘what could we have next’ thread :wink:

5 Likes

Charlie you have now opened pandoras box is something in the pipeline especially with the wink emoji

New 272 perhaps :grin:

Just had something in my eye :slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

While things are a little quite any chance of Naim getting a batch of those £20 tee shirts that those lucky enough to be a the only hi fi show of 2020 were able to secure out to the colonies. Shouldn’t think it’d be too hard to put them online for sale, of course forum member should get first dibs. :grin:

3 Likes

You get a free one with the 372 Pete :wink:

1 Like

Charlie, don’t forget my offer to have the public launch at my house. I’m sure we can arrange the necessary distancing.

It’s great that the team can get back to doing what they love to do. All the best.

That’s a fine idea. Maybe you can even convince Lord Emsworth to put in an appearance. After all, it’ll be quite the event.

That shouldn’t be a problem.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.